Lost my favorite cat today

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Kareltje
Distiller

Re: Lost my favorite cat today

Post by Kareltje »

My condolances, Cranky. And also to Ms Cranky. I guess she will miss the daily fights about the spot next to you.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Kareltje wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:40 am My condolances, Cranky. And also to Ms Cranky. I guess she will miss the daily fights about the spot next to you.
Thank you Kareltje, yes she will miss those fights and me laughing about it. Heyoo had this way of grumbling like an old man whenever she got moved by Mrs Cranky and it always made me laugh, even when I was sleeping.
jward
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jward »

Sorry for loss of both Stranger and Heyoo. My avatar is of "my favorite". She recently got sick and lost way too much weight. A different vet may have got that sorted out, but she probably burnt 8 or her 9 nine lives.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

jward wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:56 pm Sorry for loss of both Stranger and Heyoo. My avatar is of "my favorite". She recently got sick and lost way too much weight. A different vet may have got that sorted out, but she probably burnt 8 or her 9 nine lives.
Thank you, It's strange coming home from work and not finding a cat on the throne waiting for me. Both Stranger and Heyoo would wait on the big chair for me to walk through the door and be excited to see me. Now when I walk in all I see is an empty chair :(

Lovey isn't taking it well either. I don't know how long he was with her before they showed up but I know they showed up together and I'm guessing Lovey was only about a year old when we got him so she was his companion most of his life. He has spent most of his time since she left looking for her and when we give them treats at night he turns to look in the hall to see if she is coming and won't eat treats he thinks are for her.

We really don't want any more cats but everybody in the house except him is old and he needs a friend his own age. Mrs Cranky is talking about trying to find him a new friend.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

My condolences, Cranky & Mrs Cranky. I reckon the joy that they gave us during their years far more than outweighs our sadness when they depart. It's still tough to say goodbye though.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

NZChris wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:36 pm My condolences, Cranky & Mrs Cranky. I reckon the joy that they gave us during their years far more than outweighs our sadness when they depart. It's still tough to say goodbye though.
That's all very true Chris, thank you.

One thing I am thankful for is she didn't have to die amongst people she didn't know. The vet allowed me to come in while they put her to sleep so I was there for her at the end. I was even able to take my mask off. She recognized me she scooted closer and purred and I held her until the sedative knocked her out.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

...and then there was one...

Today was another very sad day at the Cranky's. We finally had to make the difficult decision to put down our 20 year old cat "Mouse The Impaler".

Mouse was incredibly special and leaves a very large hole in our lives.

He loved paper bags
invisibility bag A - C.jpg
sunshine
ONE HAPPY CAT A - C.jpg
iced tea
moving 1 043 A - C.jpg
Saltine crackers and Hostess powdered sugar Donettes

and fire
MOUSE FIRE - C.jpg
He really loved fire, maybe a little too much
I  LIKE FIRE #3A - C.jpg
If left on his own he would crawl right into the fireplace.

He had a wicked sense of humor that not everybody understood. He also spent the last 20 years serving as my keyboard rest. He Traveled with us to most states when I worked on the road but he was always happy.

He was also Strangers buddy for 10 years
MOUSE & STRANGER #4A - C.jpg
Now all that is left is Lovey and he doesn't really do well alone so my wife is already talking about trying to find a friend for him.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Another sad time for sure Cranky, there are no words that can help with the loss of a friend. I wish you well.

I now have three, the big orange cat came back not so big any more, and with a limp almost a month gone.

Then more recently a little female black cat showed up and said hi, rub my belly. now I don't need 3 cats in

my shop so I responded to an ad someone looking for a kitty for their son. she showed up with a crate and

her boys stayed in the car (no masks) and I got the cat about 3/4 in the crate when the cat realised there

was a towel in there that belonged to another cat and turned and exited the crate through my hand. now

I'm bit to the bone in 4 places and leaking pretty bad. and the lady is figuring an exit strategy and I let her

exit gracefully with my apology for the show. not 10 minuets later I'm still stopping the blood and the cat

is in my lap looking for a belly rub. That story was needed for this one. there are other feral cats passing

through here with frequency and the little black cat gets to rolling and yowling and I really don't need a

herd of cats here. I took her and got her spayed and when I picked her the vet said I was lucky I brought

her in when I did. I said so she was pregnant. the vet said no she had a badly infected uterus, and would

have died in 30-60 days. So now I have three and those 2 little boys did not have to watch their new kitty

get sick and die. So now I have three and one even likes belly rubs. I am still rehabing my hand and may

never get full use of my middle finger it's stuck straight which suits me pretty well.
be water my friend
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Sorry for your loss, Cranky. Having to say goodbye to an old friend by putting him/her down has to be one of the hardest things to do, ever. Raising a glass to Mouse and the good times you had.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Sorry for your and ms Cranky's loss. And Lovey's loss of course.
It is a hard decision to put down an old friend. On the other hand: A friend had to put down a very old dog. When I walked him I had to get hold of his tail to help him shit. When she finally made the decision, he stumbled up to her and lay beside her, grateful.

Still it is a hole in your home. Hope you soon may find a new friend.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

RIP "Mouse The Impaler" and heartfelt condolences to Mr & Mrs Cranky & the rest of your quad and bi-ped family.

Best,
Jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Dam Cranky, its been not even a year with all this happening. Feeling for ya, condolences.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Setsumi »

sorry for your loss Cranky. it is not nice to take the decision BUT it is a responsibility that every pet owner has. but it is also a relief for the pet to not suffer...
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Thank you everybody. It's been a rough year in the cat department for sure. It's not like we didn't know this day was coming. Mouse was the equivalent of 98 or 99 years old and had led a charmed life from the day he was abandoned on our doorstep way back in 2000, that seems such a long yet short time ago. When the time came we thought we were ready but in reality we weren't. Mouse was as much of a presence in the house as Stranger and the house feels so empty with only Lovey.

I do kind of expect another abandoned cat to show up on our doorstep any day now because when you need a cat one will come to you.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

cranky wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:20 pm
I do kind of expect another abandoned cat to show up on our doorstep any day now because when you need a cat one will come to you.
It happens. Right when CA was issued a mandatory lockdown in March of 2020, I went out to the garage to work on my thumper and heard a faint mew. Then another. A quick search revealed an empty box under my workbench that a stray mama had helped herself to. She had wandered in and given birth to a litter of five. With great risk I managed to feed and water her and the newborns for the next month.
IMG_5215.jpg
Due to the pandemic, all of the rescue pets in the shelters had been cleaned out so the kittens got adopted by friends in a few days. We kept the runt of the litter because of her unusual markings and gave one other to my son. My son's fiance is a newly-minted veterinarian so we got 'em both checked out and treated.

I trapped the mama, took her to get fixed and released her. A few months later she found her way back and we've been feeding her ever since. The calico? She has become part of the family, joins us on our mats for pilates every day and 'converses' with us with her chirps and chatters every time we say something to her.
Nala
Nala
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

Cool story TB. I opened my front door last Halloween and in walked a yellow striped cat. Acted like he owned the place, and was very affectionate and cool for an un-neutered Tom. He had a gash under one eye from fighting.

Of course, I named him Frankenstein.
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

I like it, Hambone. Truly adopted.

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun