Why do you distill ? Cost or Quality ?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Why do you distill ? Cost or Quality ?

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Why do you distill ? I know I started distilling to save money on OK tasting but still drinkable cheap booze...but now with experience under my, ever expanding belt I've come to the point where quality is just as, if not more important as the cost.

So where do you fall ?
Getting hung up all day on smiles
Bushman
Admin

Re: Why do you distill ? Cost or Quality ?

Post by Bushman »

Both the above, plus I would add another category (fun do it yourself hobby on many levels from building to producing a product).
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Started for cost reasons, then went for quality. With the cost of ingredients and fuel used when gathering, some of my products aren't all that cheap.
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

I first did it for the interest in the science of it. Lower cost was never a big consideration. After a few years, it’s more about the art and quality. Lord knows, I’d hate to know how much I have tied up in each bottle thats actually been good enough to drink!
Corn Crib
Novice

Post by Corn Crib »

Enjoy being an outlaw mostly, great whiskey goes right along with that desire.
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tombombadil »

For me it's just another fun hobby. I like to make things, and to learn new skills.
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

Both.

It being a cool thing to do and my love of good liquor is what started me out. Then i realized the cost benefit. And thats not to say i made good liquor at first, but it was better than store bought.
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
JesseMarques
Bootlegger

Post by JesseMarques »

I like to make stuff, but the main reason was my father that gave me a pot still, and I plan to turn it to my main money source in the future. Cost and quality just comes with the hobby
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Both . Product was rough but drinkable on the getgo . Has improved ever since . I just have to outrun my habit to have ageing stock . Cutting many family out of the share group . They can gear up and make their own with my help .
Life is good .
I expect my aged supply to increase .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

In no particular order: Cost, Quality, Craft, Science, truly unique spirits, tradition, cuisine, and last but not least F the man.

Cheers,
Jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
bronctoad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bronctoad »

neither;
I wanted to know what real "moonshine" tasted like, and being from the middle off
my States Tim-buc-tu had very little chance of ever finding out. So I decided to
make it myself :thumbup: thats when this place showed up and taught me :D
been an awesome ride ever since :!: :!:
edit:
realized after posting that the question was why now, not why starting :oops:
so;
still learning and don't know near enough, love sharing my craft, and love building stuff.
even if I over complicate it too often. :wink:
Sk8brew
Novice

Post by Sk8brew »

I learned a long time ago to never expect a hobby to save you money. As soon as you get near break even, it's time to upgrade.
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:05 pm In no particular order: Cost, Quality, Craft, Science, truly unique spirits, tradition, cuisine, and last but not least F the man.

Cheers,
Jonny
This, i like.
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Because I hate paying 27% liquor tax to fund freeloaders Healthcare.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
seabass
Rumrunner

Post by seabass »

I want to make a product that's similar quality to my favorite distilleries. If I ignore equipment costs, it's definitely cheaper than buying good whiskey, but if I were worried about cost, I'd be buying cheap bourbon and not spending time and money on equipment. It's a great feeling to make something you genuinely want to drink and to know you have plenty of it.
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

Science. I just love messing with chemicals and fire and such.
Now that I got in to it a tiny bit I have become interested in making quality whiskey. I shure have a long way to go.
MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MartinCash »

Echo the fun aspect. When you consider the cost of your time during an all-day VM still run, I can't really say my cost is cheap.
4'' SS modular CCVM on gas-fired 50L keg.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I believe for passion, it is an excellent, very therapeutic hobby and increases the knowledge of manual skills.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I first go into it as an extension of wine making .... and also with the hope I could make cheap booze . :oops:

Come home from the HSB with a less than amazing still which at the time cost me a motza .

Soon Realized ( after looking at HD) that I could make a heaps better still for way less than I spent on the first one .

And so began my real pleasure as it turned out ... building stuff .... and distilling was and is ... an excuse / reason to use all the stuff I love building .

And believe it or not ... I do also enjoy sampling the results of my hobby :ebiggrin:... which also goes well with my other hobby of playing Bass Guitar .... because I sound so much better after a few :moresarcasm:
v-child
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by v-child »

Deplorable wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:02 pm Because I hate paying 27% liquor tax to fund freeloaders Healthcare.
Why isn't there an "upvote" button on this forum?
v-child
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by v-child »

The US Dollar isn't worth much these days and alcohol does not depreciate in value. It's a great hobby.
WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WithOrWithoutU2 »

100% just for the hobby and with that comes the satisfaction of making it. Very similar to cooking and BBQ.
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Absolutely just to make a fine drop. My goal in distilling was to make apple brandy from trees I planted in a still I made out of a sheet of copper. I have spent more building my still then I have spent on spirits in 20 years. Hopefully by the time I die I will have amortized that down to a reasonable cost per bottle but right now each bottle is phenomenally expensive.
This Old Fart
Novice

Post by This Old Fart »

None of the above!

When I retired I sat down and listed things to do, turns out all of them were neglected chores from being away from home working. None of them were things I wanted to do for fun; SO.

Now I have learned to pick locks as well as make the tools to do so, started making knives including designs I like, and finally took an interest in distilling. The first two were items that She Who Must Be Obeyed had no objection with. As for the distilling I have now got her attention, bring on the good times Gents!

TOF
Prop 65: California has determined that life is hazardous to your health!
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

I started this purely for the enjoyment of making. I consider this my therapy.

Superior quality of the product is something I rarely achieve though it is a goal I am striving for.

Cost never came into the equation. I know that my sunk costs are something I will never see a full return on.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

First just as an extension of homebrewing. Now it's just because I like what I make and enjoy fantasizing about how good it's going to be after aging.
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
Desvio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Desvio »

Have brewed and fermented just about everything since the 80's, distilling completes that hobby skill set. Along with sewing on my vintage machines, distilling is how I relax and recharge.

Cost savings? :lolno: no.....
People say that I'm a bad influence. I say the world's already f#cked -- I'm just adding to it.
v-child
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by v-child »

stillanoob wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:45 am Absolutely just to make a fine drop. My goal in distilling was to make apple brandy from trees I planted in a still I made out of a sheet of copper. I have spent more building my still then I have spent on spirits in 20 years. Hopefully by the time I die I will have amortized that down to a reasonable cost per bottle but right now each bottle is phenomenally expensive.
That reminds me of the Bass fishermen. By the time you add in all the rods, reels, lures, bass boat, trolling motors, depth finders and other sundry crap their fish cost them about $80 an pound.
Alcophile
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Alcophile »

Cos I can!
It's a hobby, learning the skills, and enjoying the results - I now prefer my gins to most commercial ones, a whiskey is pretty good and smoother than what I'm drinking now on holiday.
Cost not a big factor, if I charged for my time it wouldn't count as cheap - though the per-bottle cost shot up when I imploded my boiler!!
v-child
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by v-child »

It's a hobby, the costs don't matter.