Social Media Resources related to our Hobby

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dewstiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Social Media Resources related to our Hobby

Post by Dewstiller »

:D

It's getting to be Fall 2020 from the view out of the window, been cooking some Boiler Maker Chili and relaxing today, reading here on HD. I am late Gen X - early Millennial. And even though I am handy with a computer and technology, I pretty much gave up social media around 2013-2014. Sometimes in order to keep up with news, new concepts, what's happening, etc. a guy needs to run through the social media occasionally.

Do any you have suggestions on truly good and worthy social media accounts to follow, check in on occasionally, related to this forums topic?

Could be IG, FB, YT, etc...

To be very clear...I am not attempting to elicit a response to any particular person, promoter, channel, or organisation for any promotional reason and will not suggest any by myself. I am just curious if there is some cool stuff to see or watch related to this hobby out there on social media that you guys find really good?
CopperFiend
Swill Maker

Re: Social Media Resources related to our Hobby

Post by CopperFiend »

'Still it' on YouTube is absolutely worth a watch. Clearly a nice guy and also very informative videos.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Dude,,,,you are at the center of the hobby distilling universe at this very moment. If you were here 10 years ago you would have been at the center of the hobby distilling universe.
Tomarrow, this will be the center of the hobby distilling universe.
Not sure how many ways there are to say,,everything you need is here.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
hypnopooper
Bootlegger

Post by hypnopooper »

I'm with LWTCS on his response. I too had wandered around some of the other social media groups. I found quite a few in the Facebook groups ,but left them quickly. All I found were some incredibly stupid folks that do really stupid things. I have been on ADI forums (not bad but definitely not a hobby based site), coppercustomstillcomponents, Stilldragon, and reddit. I have found the best resources with the most frequent posts is here. Jessie from Stillit on YouTube is doing a decent job building his YouTube channel with some good subjects as well.
Dewstiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dewstiller »

LWTCS wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:04 am Dude,,,,you are at the center of the hobby distilling universe at this very moment. If you were here 10 years ago you would have been at the center of the hobby distilling universe.
No doubt about it! I am not in any way disagreeing that this is not the best resource for our hobby. The countless hours of reading material, information and resources here along with the friendly community is uncontestedly the best anywhere.

Sometimes, it's just neat to see some more pictures or videos of the craft. With that being said, there is a lot of bad information out there and that's one of the reasons I don't spend much time on social media for awhile.
hypnopooper wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:23 am I'm with LWTCS on his response. I too had wandered around some of the other social media groups. I found quite a few in the Facebook groups ,but left them quickly. All I found were some incredibly stupid folks that do really stupid things. I have been on ADI forums (not bad but definitely not a hobby based site), coppercustomstillcomponents, Stilldragon, and reddit. I have found the best resources with the most frequent posts is here. Jessie from Stillit on YouTube is doing a decent job building his YouTube channel with some good subjects as well.
Thanks for the suggestions. I am also an active Reddit reader and occasionally read the firewater section when new stuff pops up, but it's no where near the depth of information as HD.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Re: Risorse per i social media relative al nostro Hobby

Post by Demy »

I think every source of information is to be considered as long as it's right information, it's okay to read, watch videos, accomplish things built, the important thing and not to do stupid things (or copy stupid people) everything can be useful. That said, this forum is a great resource, with people with long experience from whom I have learned a lot and if I can make a contribution.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Reddit and the FB groups are all too frequently cringy as shidt.
Can be informative. Just need to reconfirm with additional context imo.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

LWTCS wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:04 am Dude,,,,you are at the center of the hobby distilling universe at this very moment. If you were here 10 years ago you would have been at the center of the hobby distilling universe.
:thumbup: Couldn’t of said it better! It’s like one stop shopping.
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

LWTCS wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:17 am Reddit and the FB groups are all too frequently cringy as shidt.
Can be informative. Just need to reconfirm with additional context imo.
LWTCS knows what he is talking about. HD is the best place for distilling info. Reddit and Facebook groups are horrible. Because there isn't an effective search method it's the same questions over and over again. No one really learns there much. There's a few users on Reddit that are incredibly helpful, most though are useless bros.

Not quite social media per se but a useful link: https://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/index.ph ... ling_Media
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

+1

🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Notwithstanding a few nuggets here and there ,,most info outside of HD is remedial at best.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

On most occasions that Ive wandered down the path of social media Ive found nothing but cases of total stupidity. Johnny Come Latelys mostly who think they know and a very few others who do know.
The same thing seems to apply to other hobbies Im involved in when ive looked at ocial media groups associated with them.
Younger folk may consider forums out dated but as far as learning tools go they piss all over the other options imo.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:09 pm Younger folk may consider forums out dated but as far as learning tools go they piss all over the other options imo.
It's a foundational "problem" for any hobby or subject. I quote it because it was intentionally engineered as a feature, not a bug. Back in the day we had BBS and usenet. Then listservs (that dang yahoo hosted listserv was solid!). Then forums came along. All of these formats are searchable and archivable. All allowed logical, reasoned discourse, debate and peer review. All attract a skilled and passionate user base. But they didn't really make money, mostly because the user base is small (because they are actually invested in the subject). Some forums can profit a bit by being attached to a vendor or via ads, but it ain't the billions raked in by the big dogs, many are lucky to cover running costs and throw a few bones toward mods and admin.

But the money whores don't want that kinda usage. They gamify content to make it psychologically addicting to create, consume, and "interact" with. They intentionally structure sites to prevent effective organization, archiving and searching. They make money if the same stupid shit has to be gone over a billion times. They make money by having unskilled, barely knowledgeable morons creating, consuming, liking, upvoting, whatever "content". How many times have I seen a solid youtube video on say machining, and the comments are FULL of people saying "why am I here at 4 AM, lol, I don't even own a screwdriver". Those are the same people upvoting reddit posts, liking facebook, and... whatever it is you do on instagram.

It's not an accident, it's not the younger generation that is dumb or shallow. It's a structural problem created and perpetuated by a small "elite" of people who may not actually be evil, but truthfully don't give a shit at all about accuracy or utility as long as they can program your brain to see the next ad and commodify your data, so the user bases are overwhelmingly uninformed, barely interested, and there is definitely no good systematic mechanism for peer review or effective feedback from actual experts. Because that is how you get a 2nd jet and a 3rd yacht and a mansion on a 4th continent.

Forums FTW.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Plus however many have plussed this. Lots of info here, you just have to read until your eyes bleed and then read more.

Stay safe
OVZ
Dewstiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dewstiller »

Hi fellas,

:) Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate all that share and discuss on the forum, HD posters are always helpful and friendly.

I think maybe my post was slightly misunderstood. I was not attempting to challenge the the concept of a forum's value vs. social media; I prefer a forum over social media myself. I was also not making a suggestion that anything better was out there and was missing out on it. I was just simply curious if some of you knew of or followed anything related to this hobby on other platforms. Since social media is so dominant nowadays, some of it tends to be on there.

For example, this forum's operating language is English and and a lot of it's user base is probably from the United States; sometimes I have seen different types of stills or construction of stills talked about in English but from different parts of the world such as Australia, UK and seen some pretty cool and different setups, parts, although generally the same but different. I have seen on IG some pretty awesome looking stuff from Australia, Italy and even Russia. Still It is a channel I have watched several videos on YT from New Zealand.

I was just simply curious if there were some other good resources out there that you guys liked or enjoyed yourselves that were worthy of checking out just for fun or inspiration. I hope I did not come across as someone who was challenging this forum in anyway, this is by far the best overall resource anywhere and I have chipped in a few bucks occasionally to show my appreciation. :)

Also as I said before... it's in no way an attempt to promote any one person, channel, brand, etc. Never the less, look forward to spending more time here when I have time and sticking around for some time. :)
LB Miles
Novice

Post by LB Miles »

Howdy,

Well it depends on what you mean by 'related' to the hobby. Does it have to be directly about distilling ? Or could it perhaps be a good bartender or page that you can learn good cocktail recipes from to use your booze in ? (Not sure if this is stupid of me to say.)

But I came because I was curious about flute designs. I stayed because of the lovely people and diverse topics.

Miles
I liken a good round of drinks to a campfire. It gathers people and brings them closer together. It's an art.