My old cat made a double decade

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

cranky
Master of Distillation

My old cat made a double decade

Post by cranky »

Twenty years ago last night around midnight, in a severe thunderstorm someone left a tiny little white kitten covered in fleas with the biggest bluest eyes on our doorstep.

He would eventually become known as "Mouse The Impaler" and has been my stilling buddy ever since I started stilling.

This morning he is sleeping on my lap acting as a keyboard rest as he has for most of the past two decades. His eyes are now gray and his hearing is gone, the arthritis is beginning to get bad but he is still getting around and still happy and still loves fire.
invisibility bag A - C.jpg
I just needed to tell someone.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: My old cat made a double decade

Post by Yummyrum »

Go Mouse the Impala :D

Thats one legend Cat Cranky .Not many can say they shared good cats company for that long . Enjoy .

My old bugger made it to 18years . Still took out big arse Rats til the end .
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Good to see his second owner took better care of him than the first. :thumbup: Looks like a happy cat.
v-child
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by v-child »

Now everyone knows your secret to a good whiskey- hire a good taster.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: mi-mi-mi storey :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

May we place now our own micro tigers here?

har druckit för mycket
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Obviously this forum is made up of kind and loving members. Glad your cat has kept you company for so long!
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

I've heard it said that cats adopt us, not the other way around. Mouse The Impaler certainly picked the right owner. Great job, Cranky, that's one special guy right there.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Happy Birthday Mouse The Impaler, and happy hunting.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Twisted Brick wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:28 am I've heard it said that cats adopt us, not the other way around.
It's definitely so! :wink:

har druckit för mycket
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Thank you everybody. I didn't think a cat could live so long. He has been happy go lucky his entire life and I guess that is part of his longevity... well that and being an unstoppable force. He is incredibly persistent.

In case you are wondering he chose the name Mouse. As a baby we thought he might be deaf until my wife said the word "Mouse" and he whipped his head around and answered her. He earned the title "The Impaler" when he was about 6 months old and he got up on the counter after some Chinese food, picked up a chop stick longwise and jumped before we could catch him jamming it into the back of his throat. He was OK but he has snored in his sleep ever since.

As many of you know we lost one named Stranger a couple months ago, who was my favorite, even though Mouse has been an incredible cat. Stranger was only 12 or 13 when we lost him. His big goal in life was to outlive Mouse but Mouse is a stubborn one and has been since he was a baby. We know his days are numbered but he has had a charmed life.

We have 2 other cat's who just showed up on our doorstep one day and have adopted us and Mouse surprised the youngest the other night when the young one nipped at him and Mouse rared up and knocked the crap out of him.
VLAGAVULVIN wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:56 am :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: mi-mi-mi storey :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

May we place now our own micro tigers here?
I would be happy to hear everybody's cat stories :D .
jward
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jward »

Congrats to the cat for 20 and counting. My folks had a cat that made it to 20. That's pretty special.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

congrats to mouse the impaler and you. I've hear stories about extraordinarily long lived cats.

hope mouse can be one of those stories. my white and black is around 15 or so, don't really

know, but her black spots are showing white hairs now and have been for a while. I may have

put more on strangers thread
be water my friend
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Mmmkay, once upon a time (in beg.-Aug.-2018?) we came back from a small week-end travel.

In the rear-view mirror, I watched as our dog Anatolia (or simply Tolik, she) jumped out of the trunk and ran to a plastic bag nailed by the wind to our gate. This trash turned out to be a two-month-old kitten boy. Since Tolik had not eaten him (and had not even tried to bark), the kitten adopted us. He got the last canned Italian cat food that left over from the recently passed away old she-cat Romashka (i.e. Chamomile) and shat into the wifey's pail with a homegrown lemon tree. So, my SOH sed he's Kazyol (the he-goat).

Nevertheless, his passport name is Persik (i.e. Peach). But one frendessa of the family (that likes much more our dog than our cat) called him Pidorasik (sorta diminutive of Fag). As it was a bit long and way off from tolerant, it transformed to Gay or Gayushka (compared to baba vs. babushka, lol).

So, our Gay is really full of life and provocative (i.e. gay in its initial meaning, eh?). As his first months of life were spent amongst the village grocery shop's mongrels, he is not afraid of them. Likes hunting some dogs (incl.Tolik) and got dozens of mice and lizards into his scary "herbarium". And he is very friendly, in fact.
Gayushka, 6kg
Gayushka, 6kg
Tolik, 35kg
Tolik, 35kg
alfacat, omegadog
alfacat, omegadog
P.S. My youngster likes drawing so, I made up some thangs like that or that ;)
Last edited by VLAGAVULVIN on Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

har druckit för mycket
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I had a similar cat but with one blue and one green eye.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

My one has ginger muzzle and light blue eyes: the real Udmurt. But is still a cat, lol.

har druckit för mycket
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Happy birthday to MtI! Enjoy these times with him, a special one for sure.

I had one cat that lived beyond 20, somewhere around 23. His name was Mars because not only was he orange but he was a god of war. His mother died when he was a few days old and nursed on a dog that had just had a litter. So he thought of himself as a dog. Somewhere around here I have a great picture (the old paper kind) of him sitting next to his dog mom and her licking him.

He was a holy terror. He would go to houses in the very rural neighborhood where I live (like 1/4 to 1/2 mile between houses and raise hell, beating up cats and eating their food, terrorizing dogs and just generally being an a-hole. I told the neighbors feel free to throw stuff at hime or hose him down but please don't shoot him. His ears were ripped up and he had scars all over his face. On a couple of occasion I have seen him sit dead still as a dog charged him. The dogs we get close but then chicken out, smart dogs. I have seen him school a couple of dogs and they were sorry pups when he was done with them. All that dog milk as a kid I guess. One friend of mine made the mistake of picking him up and was bleeding from multiple places. Even I didn't pick him up. Once when I got a kitten he was really put out. One night he jumped up on my chest as I was laying in bed and pissed right in my face!

He is buried along with the best dang dog that every lived. They were great friends and slept together. When I had two dogs they would sleep back to back and Mars would sleep on top of the two f them.

Dang. Now I feel all nostalgic and am missing those critters. It has been many years but I sure do still miss 'em.
v-child
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by v-child »

Stillanoob, That was one of the best stories I've ever heard. One badass cat!
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

v-child wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:50 am Stillanoob, That was one of the best stories I've ever heard. One badass cat!
+1 :thumbup:

har druckit för mycket
GreenEnvy22
Swill Maker

Post by GreenEnvy22 »

Well I don't have any long lived cat stories, but I've had cats most of my life.
Currently we have two, 1st one is named Mischa and is around 8-9 and the typical cat who you feel like you're one of their staff. She will tolerate some petting and will sit near you but you get the feeling she doesn't care much.

2nd one is named Smokey and is just 7 months old. We took in a litter of 5 kittens that were only 2-3 weeks old. Mom rejected them so we bottle fed them all. Rehomed 4, kept him. I'm glad as it's the only other male in the house (wife, 3 girls, female dog and cat). He's also the most affectionate cat I've ever had. He's sitting on my lap making it awkward to type now, and he comes into our room at night and lays down on my face.

The dog, Kira, is good too, she's 3 years old and our only real complaints is she barks if someone walks by the house, or the wind shifts 2 towns over. I built a 'potty' for her when we got her at 8 weeks. It's a gravel bed with a drain underneath, and she always does her business there. Don't have to worry about the kids stepping on a present in the back yard, unless they forget to clean her potty for a few days. She loves everyone, but is nervous and pees if someone new arrives. We always joke if someone breaks into our house our only hope is they slip and fall on her pee, cause she won't be chasing them away.
---
I have a 50L pot still with dual Liebig condenser.
I typically make Whisky, grappa, and brandy.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

GreenEnvy22 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:11 pm The dog, Kira, is good too, she's 3 years old and our only real complaints is she barks if someone walks by the house, or the wind shifts 2 towns over.
... ... ...
We always joke if someone breaks into our house our only hope is they slip and fall on her pee, cause she won't be chasing them away.
LOL, the same story here :wave:

har druckit för mycket
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Those are great stories :thumbup:

You guys are making me get all nostalgic and it's probably a good think I don't have time this morning to type a lot because I have 20 years of memories and stories about Mouse and another 10 for Stranger but don't want to bore you guys.

I do love reading your stories :D
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Demy wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:34 am I had a similar cat but with one blue and one green eye.
The solid white ones often have one eye of each color. Often the blue eyed ones are deaf and the mixed eye ones are deaf on the side with the blue eye. Mouse never had good hearing but fortunately wasn't deaf but as near as we can tell he is now although it doesn't seem to bother him one bit.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

cranky wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:22 am but don't want to bore you guys
Do bore us when you get ready there ;)

har druckit för mycket
cuginosgrizzo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cuginosgrizzo »

cheers to Mouse the Impaler!

My oldest cat at the moment is Lulu (full name Honolulu Whiteforest), who is 16. My Maine Coons live a quiet life insode the walls of our house, so I haven't got many stories to tell.

Once I was starting to make fresh pasta, I had flour and eggs on the table, when Noè (Lulu child, now 13) jumped right on it, looking for some human contact. He is very "phisical", he can't stay alone too long, he just craves being with people (or ON people). I started yelling and chasing him all over the place. Result, flour and eggs all over walls and floor, and a cat smeared with eggs/flour and requiring an urgent bath....
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

That was a good story cuginosgrizzo :lol: Funny how the males tend to be more affectionate.

I think one of the best but short stories about Mouse was the day an imposter showed up in the yard.

Stranger was a big cat, Siberians are, but not as big as Main Coons of course but he was pushing 20lbs and if racoon or another cat dared to come up on the deck he would throw all that weight against the screen door trying to get to them.

One day I heard something and looked out the back bedroom window to see Mouse in the back yard. Mouse has always had questionable hearing and a terrible sense of direction so couldn't be let outside alone. So I quickly turned around to run outside and bring him back inside only to discover he was right behind me. I looked out the window again and sure enough there was a white cat in the yard that looked very similar to Mouse. Satisfied it wasn't him I sat down at my desk and was doing something on the internet when there was a horrible ruckus in the living room. Stranger was hissing, snarling and throwing himself at the screen door trying to get to this intruder who dared to set foot on HIS porch.

As I ran to the door Mouse ran ahead of me to see what the problem was and came up behind Stranger. Stranger turned around only to find that the cat that was on the porch had suddenly materialized right behind him and didn't realize it was Mouse. Stringer hissed and snapped at Mouse for what Mouse thought was no reason at all and he wasn't about to let that happen and the fight was on... for the next 3 hours. I would separate them, get them calmed down then let them out of their respective rooms and they would go right back at it. This happened over and over again until they somehow finally made peace.
CC5 - C.JPG
MOUSE & STRANGER #4A - C.jpg
metalsmith
Bootlegger

Post by metalsmith »

When I was dating my wife, she had a kitten. She still had it when we married. That damn thing hung on for 23 years, just to spite me.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

cranky wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:42 am This happened over and over again until they somehow finally made peace.
Cool story and nice pix :thumbup:

har druckit för mycket