stopped and re start

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Grappa-Gringo
Swill Maker

stopped and re start

Post by Grappa-Gringo »

Follow up to the earlier gasket post... Since I had to shut last nights event down due to leak, I left the liquid in the boiler... is there an issue with restarting it tonight? Thus I stopped it.... and restarted.... Should I toss the first bit out like I would on a new boil? thanks in advance.
GG
They say, "you are what you eat"... Then I'm fast, easy and cheap!
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: stopped and re start

Post by 8Ball »

Yea, I would. Slowly heat up, take fores, and tou should be good.

🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Some say yes, some say no. I just turn the heat on and carry on. I was happy to have those components in my heart cut without the shutdown, so I don’t know of a reason to remove them unless you’re making neutral.
Grappa-Gringo
Swill Maker

Post by Grappa-Gringo »

NZChris I'm running a batch of Odds and Sods.... a little this, a little that....left over grains. The first bit that came out was OK... a little over 55%, and then the leak killed it for the night. It's got some corn, rye and a bag of "aromatic grains" as it's labelled... I'm thinking of throwing some wood in it and forgetting it for awhile... I'll take a look at it in the Spring.
They say, "you are what you eat"... Then I'm fast, easy and cheap!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Sounds good to me. I have a 4.5l whiskey bottle that gets topped up with of all sorts of leftovers and occasionally, some new oak. It can be a bit hard to tell what’s in it at times, but it keeps getting better.