The Americas Cup 2021

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

cob
Master of Distillation

The Americas Cup 2021

Post by cob »

I watched the first round of the prelims of the 2021 Americas Cup and was astounded at the evolution of the foils

that has occurred in the last four years. Any one else a fan of cup racing or a sailor?

My fastest race boat a planeing hull that would do 18 knots, these guys are doing 39 knots.

the worlds record is a moving target currently at ~65 knots.
be water my friend
T-Boon
Novice

Re: The Americas Cup 2021

Post by T-Boon »

They are pretty crazy as the technology goes.

As for accessibility, I think its a step backward in that regard.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

I am no sailor but I am a new fan of the sport. I was lucky enough to be in SF during the last America’s Cup and saw a few races from the docks and a roof party. I even saw one of the boats up close at a big Oracle event in town. Loved the way the tv broadcast covered the race with all the fancy overlay maps showing currents, winds, boundary’s, etc. I learned a lot. having video and audio on the boats was very cool. Love those hydrofoils and solid wing (sail).
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

I am still pissed off at Dennis Conner for cheating by running a catamaran against a monohull. What a poor sport. I met him once at the St. Francis YC and he was a blowhard douche.

It is amazing to see where they have gone with it since then. I admire the technology and the speeds are astounding. I saw a race in the SF bay and holy moly are those things cooking! Still, I wish the price of entry was lower and the boats smaller so that there could be more competitors.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

stillanoob wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:17 am I am still pissed off at Dennis Conner for cheating by running a catamaran against a monohull. What a poor sport. I met him once at the St. Francis YC and he was a blowhard douche.

It is amazing to see where they have gone with it since then. I admire the technology and the speeds are astounding. I saw a race in the SF bay and holy moly are those things cooking! Still, I wish the price of entry was lower and the boats smaller so that there could be more competitors.
I miss the drama of the old monohulls duking it out tack for tack up to the finish line, but... the AC50 cats are incredibly exciting to watch. Its also true AC boats have attracted many fans to the sport as well as a fleet of amateur racing categories. For those interested in watching the upcoming America's Cup, I highly recommend downloading the official AC app that provides live in-race stats and metrics that would over-crowd the television screen.

Still, the America's Cup boats top even horse-racing for the sheer bloated ego of fastest to the finish line, and proof that the richest guy usually wins.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

I find it humorous (ironic?) the old teams complaining about the cost of the new designs. Saying this is pricing many of them out of the contest. There was a time (5 years ago) when the old boats/teams were too expensive for all but the old money families/clubs/nations to compete in the race. People complained that the race was too expensive for anyone but the ultra well funded to compete. Then came someone much richer who upped the game, now they are complaining about “the rich guy”. Cry me a River. I guess this just backs up the old adage that everything if relative.

+1 to getting the AC app to stream the race through. If you don’t know much about sailing before the races, you will learn a lot by viewing through the app.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

stillanoob wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:17 am I am still pissed off at Dennis Conner for cheating by running a catamaran against a monohull.
He found a loophole that was available to all the competitors according to the rules. they all signed off on the rules.

He just brought a faster horse as defined by the rules. :shock: :lol: :wink:

Having said that it seams that they still spend as much or

more time in court litigating as they do on the water.

As to Conner being a blowhard douche. that fits most of the competition. Ted Turner and several

others come to mind. But Conner and many of the rest are masters of finding funding.

The big draw fro me. tactics, engineering, and execution. in no particular order.
T-Boon wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:23 pm They are pretty crazy as the technology goes.

As for accessibility, I think its a step backward in that regard
all to true but that applies to lots of sports.

I am still saving to go to Austin for an F-1 race.by the time I can go they will

be racing 4-bangars or all electric instead of the V-12's that I loved so much :(
be water my friend
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

Went to San Francisco for the cup in 13. Watched the first 4 races and was headed home when the us turned it around. While impressive to see such massive boats go so fast, the racing was poor. It really came down to boat speed and whichever boat could get more speed won. I would also have the app open which showed telemetry while watching. You could see who was faster and in the lead. Not match racing like the old 12M.

The last cup in Bermuda was actually exciting at times although the finals were not. Definitely made for TV. More exciting than in 2010 when oracle did a horizon job. I actually prefer to watch the start of the Sydney to Hobart, get to watch the big maxi’s battle in Sydney harbor.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

cob wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:18 pm
stillanoob wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:17 am I am still pissed off at Dennis Conner for cheating by running a catamaran against a monohull.
He found a loophole that was available to all the competitors according to the rules. they all signed off on the rules.

He just brought a faster horse as defined by the rules. :shock: :lol: :wink:
That is just the point. It should be about who is the better sailor, not who can work the system best. A cat VS a mono is like a horse VS a dirt bike. Not really a competition, why bother? The most fun I have ever had racing was racing single class. You all start with the same boat and it is all about seamanship. We raced J-24's and it was a real blast.
cob wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:18 pm Having said that it seams that they still spend as much or more time in court litigating as they do on the water.
So true. Also what I don't like. It is why I got out of single class. You spent more time arguing with wankers after the race instead of saying "see you next week". It's just boat racing.
cob wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:18 pm
As to Conner being a blowhard douche. that fits most of the competition. Ted Turner and several others come to mind. But Conner and many of the rest are masters of finding funding.
Also very true. Which again is sad as the point of the original America's cup was about seamanship. Although as I said, it is really cool to see the technology advance like it has. Conner did spark a revolution. I do like watching the Cup. But it is drag racing now. Not a bad thing, and totally fun. And there is fantastic seamanship on display. However, Denis Conner's poor sportsmanship should go down in infamy. But I might as well yell at the kids to get off my lawn.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

I personally find the AC pretty boring most years. It's like basketball to me. I couldn't possibly care less about the NBA and watching 8 foot tall immortal millionaires sink swish after swish. But give me a good NCAA battle any day.

Similarly, I casually glance at some AC action each year. But I'm glued to the trackers for two weeks every year for the Race to Alaska. No motor, no support, 2 checkpoints to define part of the route but almost anything else goes. Start in Washington and head north where there's $10k nailed to a post in Alaska for the winner. 2nd place gets a set of steak knives, anybody else who finishes gets to brag about it. Not enough money in it to cover wear and tear on fancy unobtanium boats so it doesn't really attract the bajillionaires, and the first leg requires passing through a harbor that doesn't even allow sailing, so any boat too big for at least some degree of human power is a non-starter. Each year many of the biggest heroes never finish.

The AC tech is cool. It's kinda like the space program in that sense, it's a way to throw millions of dollars at a practically unnecessary problem and see if we mere earth lubbers end up washing our freeze dried icecream down with Tang while jotting notes with our Fisher space pens.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

I want to know what is inside that double sided foil wing. what could be hidden in there.

I don't suppose J P morgan or any of the vanderbelts could have been insufferable asses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_A ... _defenders
be water my friend
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

The Prada Cup to determine the 2021 Americas Cup challengers started Jan 15 in Auckland, NZ.

There was no shortage of excitement from the Americans as they managed to lose a commanding lead (over Luna Rossa) at the final turn by getting the boat entirely airborne before capsizing. Emergency aid from rivals got the boat righted, pumped out and saved from sinking. Luckily, no injuries occurred.

The event is shown in the first minute of the video. The hull damage sustained in the 'flight' can be seen at 3:05.

Cool stuff.

“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
EM Jellinek
Novice

Post by EM Jellinek »

I was a grinder on the V.I. Challenge in 1999. I trained for three months at great cost to my business. Denis Connor bought out/merged the team, and I got cut. I had a lot of race experience from Optimist class to Lightning, big ticket unlimited with lux sail and towing, but no America’s Cup experience. They were deep on grinders. I would have been like 3rd alternate if they didn’t cut me. It was one of the biggest letdowns of my youth. I thought I was going to New Zealand, and win loose or draw I was stoked beyond the moon...
My interest in distilling is purely academic.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

It's a bird, it's a plane, holy shit batman :shock: :shock:

EM Jellinek I did a lot of racing but not on that level.

owned and raced a star, and a holder 20.

crewed several others.

took a cruise on a 12 meter on Oahu, interesting

but not the sail I was hoping for.
be water my friend
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

As a keen sailor and stiller I have the best of both worlds here in NZ When the first defence was held in Auckland I was living in a clifftop home and the top mark for one of the courses was right below me. Great time and great to see it happening here again in pretty well covid free NZ.
Looking forward already to the next defence here on 2025
You can lead a horse to drink, but you cant make it water!
You can lead a horticulture but can you teach a prototype?

Proverbs 31:6-7
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Exciting video! Really good to see some good sportsmanship.
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

Sorry to all US supporters. Maybe another go next time

Thanks for your challenge.

That light in the NY Yacht Club will shine bleakly on an empty spot for a lot longer

Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Teddysad wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:41 pm Sorry to all US supporters. Maybe another go next time

Thanks for your challenge.

That light in the NY Yacht Club will shine bleakly on an empty spot for a lot longer
For us Yanks, it'll be all right, Teddysad. The sailing will be as entertaining as ever, the boats as exciting as usual, and the event will engage the world's sailing fans to provide even just a brief respite from the effects of the virus. Fortunately, there is always the opportunity to bask in the archives of the 2013 America's Cup, where the Americans, down 8-1 and on the brink of a pathetic defeat, lifted themselves to win eight straight against Team New Zealand, setting the all-time record for a come-from-behind victory, and taught every kid in every sport to never, ever give up!

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

thanks Teddysad for reminding me to switch channels. they keep advertising what I am watching is live

but I got the picture that Twisted brick posted of the flier off the net 10 minutes before the tv.

4 minutes to the start between prada and magic. so much for live coverage.

I do enjoy the racing. If magic can't execute someone else will.

top gate 45 seconds and looks like trouble.

Only 4 more years to challenge again.

twisted got the jump on me.
be water my friend
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

It is getting a huge audience with not much else happening sporting wise round the globe at present. The next stage will be great to watch and we will welcome you all back here again for the Defence in 3 to 4 years time

Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

Race 1. NZ. Beat Italy

cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Teddysad wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:47 pm Race 1. NZ. Beat Italy
the rerun starts soon for the states. thanks for the reminder.
be water my friend
T-Boon
Novice

Post by T-Boon »

so after day 1 it is 1 all! but team NZ looks to have the advantage in boat speed.

As always it will come down to who makes the least mistakes when it matters.
stmaus
Novice

Post by stmaus »

Teddysad wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:53 pm ...and we will welcome you all back here again for the Defence in 3 to 4 years time
A bit cocky you Kiwis! Italy did well in the second race, going to be close.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

this is looking like a proper race :thumbup:
be water my friend
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

It is Match Point 6 - 3 could well be decided today

cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Teddysad wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:23 pm It is Match Point 6 - 3 could well be decided today
Well it has certainly been interesting so far. I still have 3.5 hours to wait for todays start.
be water my friend
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

Done and dusted the CUP stays in NZ

T-Boon
Novice

Post by T-Boon »

We were out on the water for the Saturday and the Sunday, the number of boats was unbelievable.

You couldn't see horizon due to all the boats on the water.