Foreshot Hand Sanitizer

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

YeastInfection94
Novice

Foreshot Hand Sanitizer

Post by YeastInfection94 »

As you all know we are currently in the middle of a pandemic this year with Covid-19. Hand sanitizer is a great way to sanitize your hands when out and about. Always remember that hand sanitizer is not a replacement for soap and warm water and you should still actually wash your hands when possible especially after going to the bathroom and before handling food. Because of this pandemic a lot of stores sell out of hand sanitizer very quickly and have also raised the price and sell it at outrageous prices. Many people have resorted to making there own from rubbing alcohol and aloe vera gel. You can use your foreshots or heads that are not safe to drink instead of rubbing alcohol.

To make hand sanitizer you will need foreshots and aloe vera gel. Measure the abv of foreshots. We are going to dilute them to 60% abv with aloe vera gel. 60% is the minimum abv recommended by the government for sanitizing. You will want to use an online dillution calculator to figure out your measurements as aloe vera gel is very thick and would probably screw up your readings. Just replace the amount of water in the calculator with aloe vera gel. Then you put your alcohol and aloe vera gel in a big bottle and shake the crap out of it. It helps to use a bottle that's only half full cause its easier to get your shake on. Once its properly mixed to 60% abv you can refill your old empty hand sanitizer bottles from the big bottle. You can adjust ratios depending on your preference. More aloe = lower abv and thicker. Less aloe = higher abv and thinner.

Here's a link to a great free dilution calculator made by one of my favorite youtubers

https://chasethecraft.com/mash-fermentation
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Re: Foreshot Hand Sanitizer

Post by The Baker »

Yeah I thought 60%.
Some current affairs program here was running a shock horror piece about the alcohol percentage being too low;
at I think they quoted 'less than 80%'.
Not sure about that, didn't catch it clearly but it sounded wrong.

Geoff
The Baker
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Foreshots have more than ethanol in them. They will dry your hands like a mother! Also, being more volatile they will evaporate more quickly than ethanol. This is part of why they don't recommend higher ABV. So what I did was grab some feints, run it through the still and used the "hearts" for hand sanitizer. I made about a gallon and am still working my way through it.
BlackStrap
Swill Maker

Post by BlackStrap »

3 cups 91% ABV (182 proof) or stronger
1 Cups Aloe Vera (juice or gel)
12 - 15 drops essential oil (optional for fragrance)

Last run I took a generous portion of 4 shots out, and used the heads going into the hearts for the 91% abv for the sanitizer
(4 shots do not usually contain a lot of alcohol, therefore is is not recommended as a sanitizer the would come in contact with the skin)
Most questions can be answered here http://homedistiller.org/ and here http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=46

The one who cuts the firewood gets twice the warmth
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

stillanoob wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:06 am Foreshots have more than ethanol in them. They will dry your hands like a mother! Also, being more volatile they will evaporate more quickly than ethanol. This is part of why they don't recommend higher ABV. So what I did was grab some feints, run it through the still and used the "hearts" for hand sanitizer. I made about a gallon and am still working my way through it.
THAT'S why the commercial handwash we got is like that!

Geoff
The Baker
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Worth a (fore)shot!
-- Rrmuf
oksofar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by oksofar »

NOT Purell
IMG_9892.jpg
Brewer's Beast 16 gallon mash tun
Spike CF15 Conical Unitank 
Mile Hi 16 Gallon Stainless 4 Inch Flute – 4 Sections
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

Heads yes, foreshots not so much. Esters, acetone, methanol. Not washing my hands in the first couple of ounces. Feints run maybe. Head and tails of a spirits run for hand cleaner.
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

Methanol & other junk in foreshots can be absorbed through the skin. It's the same as drinking it. Dump forehots, don't use them for anything that gets near your body.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

That's a shame, foreshots from a sugar wash, is really good for drying out and curing poison ivy.

For hand sanitizer I used heart cuts from a reflux still.
Diluted to around 70% and "denatured" it food grade glycerin.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

oksofar wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:07 am NOT Purell
IMG_9892.jpg
That's the stuff they had at the polls when I voted last.
Looked like a 1/2 gallon jug or bigger.
The pump was very liberal, one squirt was too much for both hands.
I had to rub some of it on my forearms :lol:
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

BlackStrap wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:38 pm 3 cups 91% ABV (182 proof) or stronger
1 Cups Aloe Vera (juice or gel)
12 - 15 drops essential oil (optional for fragrance)

Last run I took a generous portion of 4 shots out, and used the heads going into the hearts for the 91% abv for the sanitizer
(4 shots do not usually contain a lot of alcohol, therefore is is not recommended as a sanitizer the would come in contact with the skin)
SO, I tried this formula and have been using the hand sanitizer for a few months now. I was using more heads than foreshots but it was at 90% ABV and added the proportion of aloe (gel) and I had lavender essence on hand and dripped some in. It works quite well. I do have to shake it once in a while to mix up the bit of sediment but it is MUCH nicer than the stuff provided at most retail stores. It doesn't require all that much, so a little goes a long way. Thanks for the suggestion and the formula.
-- Rrmuf
Iulistoi
Bootlegger

Post by Iulistoi »

I made a lot of sanitizer during this pandemic.
This was one of the reasons I built my CCVM column.
I never use foreshots, neither heads or tail. The reason is they stink. I don't like the idea to rub my hands with something that smells like hootch. I want something perfectly neutral. This is why I distill my alcohol at 95% and use just hearts which I dilute down to 70-75% abv.
I don't see the sense to put aloe vera. It gives a sticky film on the hands and I don't like. Glycerine is as useless as aloe vera.
The optimum concentration for ethanol to be biocide is 70% abv according to WHO. The time for acting is minimum 30 seconds. Higher concentrations will evaporate quicker. Another reason why pure alcohol is not as effective as 70% is that alcohol needs water for denaturing the nucleic acids and proteins of the virus. Soap acts by damaging the lipid bilayer.
Sometimes I add hydrogen peroxide 3% because it is sporicide. Alcohols can't kill spores. Combining the two can bring something which can be considered a chemical sterilizer.
Last edited by Iulistoi on Mon May 17, 2021 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Agreed on the 70%, and good idea on the hydrogen peroxide.
As for aloe vera and using heads, to each his own.
-- Rrmuf
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Rrmuf wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:11 am As for aloe vera and using heads, to each his own.
+1
I used both in mine, it worked well and did the job it was supposed to.
I gave quite a bit away early in the covid lock down days as it got pretty hard to find hand sanitizer in any form for sale locally.
Never a complaint about smell or " a sticky film on the hands" from anyone I gave it to.
In fact a few commented that the aloe in it was good as it had a moisturizing affect on the hands.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:47 pm
Rrmuf wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:11 am As for aloe vera and using heads, to each his own.
+1
I used both in mine, it worked well and did the job it was supposed to.
I gave quite a bit away early in the covid lock down days as it got pretty hard to find hand sanitizer in any form for sale locally.
Never a complaint about smell or " a sticky film on the hands" from anyone I gave it to.
In fact a few commented that the aloe in it was good as it had a moisturizing affect on the hands.
Ditto: Nothing but praise.
-- Rrmuf
boomstick
Novice

Post by boomstick »

Byt this whole wash your hands stuff is pretty irrelevant to covid since thats not how its transmitted.
Sure in theory it could but there are many theoretical dangers out there.
amh71
Novice

Post by amh71 »

Washing your hands is very relevant as that's exactly how covid and many viruses such as the common cold, norovirus etc are transmitted.

You touch a contaminated surface and then touch your face allowing the virus access to your airway, eyes etc. The same thing goes the opposite way to contaminate surfaces in the first place.
Iulistoi
Bootlegger

Post by Iulistoi »

Airborne transmission is the first way of infection for covid. Tiny dropplets of secretions and aerosols filled with virus released when speaking, breathing, coughting, sneezing that can be inhaled by other people in closed, unventilated space. Most dangerous situations are those when you have to stay long time in closed space together with someone who is infected, speaking from short distance and not wearing masks.

The surface route of infection is the second way of transmission. It's less likely to occur but not neglijable . It was overestimated in the begining of pandemic. Many of us still desinfect shoppings, door knobs, light switches despite WHO later said it's not necessary. This is rather obssesive compulsive disorder feed by an extreme fear. Not touching your face should become a reflex when you are outside.

So I think we should pay equal attention to get vaccinated, avoid crowded, closed places, keep distance from others even if they are close relatives, wear masks, wash hands with soap or use alcohol hand sanitizer.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

boomstick wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:35 pm Byt this whole wash your hands stuff is pretty irrelevant to covid since thats not how its transmitted.
Sure in theory it could but there are many theoretical dangers out there.
You should start a separate thread in off-topic.
-- Rrmuf
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

At the risk of remaining off-topic (ish) we've noticed that the increased vigilance with regard to hygiene, especially in primary school has reduced the number of colds we've suffered over the last year. There's also an argument to be made that while it may not be the primary transmission route, covid deaths are in part related to available emergency care (in Europe there's a near-perfect inverse correlation between available ER beds and deaths due to covid). Taking up extra space in the ER because you caught something nasty that could have been avoided by good hand washing, reduces space for those who need it. We'll know in a few years how exaggerated our response was, but while in the thick of it, taking 45seconds to wash your hands is not really the greatest sacrifice to personal liberty and it could potentially keep a few people out of the ER!
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Washing your hands with soap or sanitizer is one of the most basic of hygiene practices if you want to stop germs or infection spreading.
The man who discovered it was mocked by some of his peers for suggesting such a thing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignaz_Semmelweis.
Now if we could kindly get back on topic. :yawn: