Covid-19

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Locked
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:00 pm

Covid-19

Post by Uncle Jesse » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:38 pm

Just a quick note to say that I hope all of you and yours are safe and healthy! I'm sure we have members who have been directly impacted.

Good time to isolate and work on improving your craft!
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.

The Baker
Master Distiller
Posts: 3529
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:48 am
Location: Northern Victoria, Australia

Re: Covid-19

Post by The Baker » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:19 am

Thanks.

So far so good.
Our record here in Australia is not perfect but a lot of other countries have many more infections and deaths.

Geoff
The Baker

User avatar
Bushman
Admin
Posts: 15757
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:29 am
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Covid-19

Post by Bushman » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:53 am

My life style has certainly changed. My wife and I now do curbside pickup for groceries and order online. We have both put on wait and very rarely leave the house. We do go to our condo’s as they are open but we avoid the pool and hot tub and spend most of the time inside digitizing old pictures and slides. We canceled a trip this month to Hawaii that we had booked for a month as well. We are do for our second COVID vaccine March 2nd and then may attempt to venture out a bit more.

User avatar
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 2153
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:58 pm

Re: Covid-19

Post by Expat » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:29 am

Thanks UJ!

Bushman, Even having one half of the vaccine is doing well, in my area they keep talking about September, but given all the delays even that seems like a pipe dream.
_____________________
EXPAT

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd
___________________

User avatar
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 434
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:48 am
Location: Western WA

Re: Covid-19

Post by Euphoria » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:49 am

I get my 2nd COVID vaccination shot on the Feb 18th, (I'm 68, so I was able to get it with the "over 65 crowd," in Phase 1B,) but my child bride is only 60 so she isn't eligible to get her shots until they enter Phase 2B. She works for the school district.
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

User avatar
Bushman
Admin
Posts: 15757
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:29 am
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Covid-19

Post by Bushman » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:59 am

Euphoria wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:49 am
I get my 2nd COVID vaccination shot on the Feb 18th, (I'm 68, so I was able to get it with the "over 65 crowd," in Phase 1B,) but my child bride is only 60 so she isn't eligible to get her shots until they enter Phase 2B. She works for the school district.
I don’t think school teachers are in the essential worker category. I am looking forward to our second shot, I heard more people had more reaction to the second dose. Our doctor is part of our local hospital where we got our first dose and they have monitored me daily through my smartphone.

seabass
Rumrunner
Posts: 621
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:08 am

Re: Covid-19

Post by seabass » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:29 pm

I'm directly affected in that I currently have it. Kinda blows, but I'm lucky enough to have a mild case. If it subsides soon, I'll have a week and a half to do projects before I need to go back to work.

User avatar
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 434
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:48 am
Location: Western WA

Re: Covid-19

Post by Euphoria » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:45 am

Bushman wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:59 am
Euphoria wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:49 am
I get my 2nd COVID vaccination shot on the Feb 18th, (I'm 68, so I was able to get it with the "over 65 crowd," in Phase 1B,) but my child bride is only 60 so she isn't eligible to get her shots until they enter Phase 2B. She works for the school district.
I don’t think school teachers are in the essential worker category. I am looking forward to our second shot, I heard more people had more reaction to the second dose. Our doctor is part of our local hospital where we got our first dose and they have monitored me daily through my smartphone.
The school district employees aren't considered "essential workers" like health care workers and a few other groups, (EMS, Medics, First Responders, etc,) are, but they are currently eligible under Phase 2B. But that could still be a month, (or more,) away. I'm sure that anyone who watches the news knows, there is a big divide between those parents and kids who want schools to reopen, and those involved in public education who don't want the schools to reopen until the employees have a chance to be inoculated before returning.
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

User avatar
TXChiliMayo
Novice
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:53 pm
Location: HTX

Re: Covid-19

Post by TXChiliMayo » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:01 pm

I didn’t even realize there were areas in the US that still had closed schools until I read about the Chicago debacle. My wife teaches in a smaller district in the largest city in Texas and has been face to face since September. My kids are in Catholic school and have been the same.
Luckily schools have been proven, at least here, to not be a transmission point. All the surges are happening when kids are out of school on holiday. People aren’t catching it at school. So while I would love for her to be in a group to get vaccinated, I agree she isn’t in a position to need it ahead of much more deserving groups.
Covid sucks.

User avatar
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 2199
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:16 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Covid-19

Post by Oldvine Zin » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:29 pm

TXChiliMayo wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:01 pm
I didn’t even realize there were areas in the US that still had closed schools until I read about the Chicago debacle. My wife teaches in a smaller district in the largest city in Texas and has been face to face since September. My kids are in Catholic school and have been the same.
Luckily schools have been proven, at least here, to not be a transmission point. All the surges are happening when kids are out of school on holiday. People aren’t catching it at school. So while I would love for her to be in a group to get vaccinated, I agree she isn’t in a position to need it ahead of much more deserving groups.
Covid sucks.
Long live your wife and you, yes she should be vaccinated, all at the first line should be the first to be vaccinated.

Stay safe
OVZ

tombombadil
Swill Maker
Posts: 355
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:55 pm

Re: Covid-19

Post by tombombadil » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:49 pm

Maybe this one should be locked as it's obviously a political issue and has nothing to do with distilling?

The Baker
Master Distiller
Posts: 3529
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:48 am
Location: Northern Victoria, Australia

Re: Covid-19

Post by The Baker » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:56 am

tombombadil wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:49 pm
Maybe this one should be locked as it's obviously a political issue and has nothing to do with distilling?
We allow discussion threads on "off-topic" (non distilling) subjects.
And this seems to be more practical than blatantly political.

And honestly, the most important topic, around the world, is this virus.

So I say it is not really political and we should allow it.

Geoff
The Baker

tombombadil
Swill Maker
Posts: 355
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:55 pm

Re: Covid-19

Post by tombombadil » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:23 am

Then it's ok if I share why I think people should be fighting the lockdowns, masks, social distancing etc... even though it's mostly political?

I don't want to be banned but I think it's important people see both sides.

I feel like I'm in a bit of a pickle. You are ADMIN EDIT was a simple hope your doing well post .Till you made it political

User avatar
VLAGAVULVIN
Trainee
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:52 am
Location: Western Urals

Re: Covid-19

Post by VLAGAVULVIN » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:00 am

So, is it still OK if the gentleman shares his opinion? ☝🏽

Never make banana brandy. And never ferment potatoes: better make banana brandy... Oct.20, 2019


Watching your run is making me lazy (c) James LaBrie

OtisT
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 2435
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:59 am
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Covid-19

Post by OtisT » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:20 am

tombombadil wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:23 am
Then it's ok if I share why I think people should be fighting the lockdowns, masks, social distancing etc... even though it's mostly political?

I don't want to be banned but I think it's important people see both sides.

I feel like I'm in a bit of a pickle.
Tom, love your name sake. Was bummed he never made it into the movies. I thought he was a critical part of the plot line.

I for one would be interested in hearing any fact based comments you have on the subject. I think if we pass on the emotions and focus on facts, we can keep this out of the political realm. I don’t see the virus itself as political but I believe that how we as a society are responding to it has becoming political, though why it is political and why we have not come together to fight this common enemy in the US confounds my mind.

Can we agree on some basic facts to start this? If you disagree with these statements, please let me know what and why. I honestly want to understand where you are coming from.

Common ground? I hope we all would agree that the virus is real, and is killing people. I believe we all want to be able to socialize at will, send our kids to school, get everyone back to work, not wear a mask, etc. We all want normal. Is this something you agree with? Are there other common grounds you care to list? ADMIN EDIT Yes no politics

Otis
Last edited by OtisT on Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels

IBrewToo
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:19 pm

Re: Covid-19

Post by IBrewToo » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:21 am

Have to agree with Tombom. Covid becomes political very quickly in some cases and would love to share my opinion but don’t want to be banned.

cob
Distiller
Posts: 2205
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:38 pm
Location: little puffs of dust where my feet used to be

Re: Covid-19

Post by cob » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:05 pm

This was a message of good will, until the decision was made to take a dump on it and turn it political.

hope everyone is safe including the dumper.
be water my friend

User avatar
Tater
Admin
Posts: 9042
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:19 am
Location: occupied south

Re: Covid-19

Post by Tater » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:29 pm

Well its crossed the line . maybe a 30 day s off site will convince ya we mean it NO POLITICS
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper

Locked