Whiskey stones

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Durhommer
Distiller

Whiskey stones

Post by Durhommer »

So my wife got me a little gift a set of 9 small stones the size of small ice cubes supposedly you freeze them and it's ice without watering down the drink. Anyone ever use these before are they safe to use I mean it is stone
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Whiskey stones

Post by Deplorable »

I have a set of SS whiskey cubes, but rarely use them. If I'm making an old fashioned, I used a large ice ball, otherwise I drink my whiskey neat.
Never tried an actual rock.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

My mother in law got me a set of those whiskey rocks. They work great. I rarely use them though, usually just drink it neat at room temp. You have to wash them too.... mine soak up a little whiskey and then will give you whiskey in your next drink, whatever that may be.
Plain ole pot rig.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

The first set whiskey stones I ever saw were made of soapstone. I had leftover material after cutting the soapstone floor (1m in diameter) for my brick oven so I made some whiskey stones. I just boiled them for a half-hour and called 'em good. They are a novel idea for keeping your drink cold without the dilution, but do not hold nor emit the same coldness as an ice cube. They tended to quickly warm to the temperature of the drink rather than vice versa. I think I tried mine out twice and they've been in the back of the freezer for years.

Nowadays I see whiskey stones made out of other materials including granite and marble (soapstone is still regarded as the best 'chilling stone' available). If yours are marble and you find that they don't work for you, you can always suspend them in your ferment as pH control.

Maybe you can let us know how yours work out.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Thanks guys I haven't tried them yet but I have a feeling it gonna be one of those "oh babe I love it"deals. Guess I need to figure out what they are made of
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

20210310_185113.jpg
Anyone know what kind of rock this is
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

They are likely a non-porous type of soapstone.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Durhommer wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:52 pm 20210310_185113.jpg
Looks like the granite commonly found around these parts.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Durhommer wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:52 pm 20210310_185113.jpg
Looks identical to the soap stone whisky rocks I used to have.

I got bored of looking and don't like them in my spirits, so I had some fun carving them and eventually they were demoted to garden rocks. :lol:

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Durhommer »

Thanks guys I asked her to look it up on Amazon they are granite
Windswept
Swill Maker

Post by Windswept »

Hard to tell from the picture, if you can scratch them really easily, it’ll be soapstone, even more so if the feel kinda soapy when dry.

Otherwise, could be some kind of diabase or another fine grained intrusive rock.

Did you lick them?

Not granite, even though they ohh the marketed as such.
If I didn't learn the hard way, I wouldn't learn at all!
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

They are a novelty item at best. I tossed mine in the trash after a couple uses. I like my drinks neat with ice water chasers most of the time anyway.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Oh, they’re granite? You can thank your lucky stars, then, cuz I read (don’t remember where) that putting little cubes (must be cold granite) into an alcoholic drink and ingesting it will give you the strength of an ox and the stamina of a rabbit. You might wanna warn your lovely wife first tho.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Twisted Brick wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:40 pm Oh, they’re granite? You can thank your lucky stars, then, cuz I read (don’t remember where) that putting little cubes (must be cold granite) into an alcoholic drink and ingesting it will give you the strength of an ox and the stamina of a rabbit. You might wanna warn your lovely wife first tho.
It's kinda like eating a dozen oyster shooters and chasing them with a six pack of red bull.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Funny, i thought whiskey stones referred to a false sense of courage instilled after the ingestion of excess whiskey. Similar to beer goggles.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Tummydoc wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:52 pm Funny, i thought whiskey stones referred to a false sense of courage instilled after the ingestion of excess whiskey. Similar to beer goggles.
...and tequila testicles.