what to do with puking ...see below

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Grappa-Gringo
Swill Maker

what to do with puking ...see below

Post by Grappa-Gringo »

during a recent run of gin (sugar wash) with a gin basket and some juniper berries in the boiler, I was running hard and fast, pulled out almost 3 ltrs worth of decent gin, when it suddenly got murky and cloudy.... I turned off the heat source (propane) but whatever was in the tower made its way down and into my nice formerly clear gin. :x
My question to the group: Should I pour back the 3 ltrs into the boiler after it cools, and give it another go, or start fresh?
I believe, that I should have turned down the heat once it started to drip, but I obviously didn't.
Suggestions or comments welcomed.
cheers
GG
They say, "you are what you eat"... Then I'm fast, easy and cheap!
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: what to do with puking ...see below

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Oh no! I'd pour it back in and re-run it fairly low and slow.

Was this a straight sugar wash gin or macerated/vapor-path cut hearts from a sugar wash spirit run? I haven't done any gin's yet but am planning to dive into that rabbit hole pretty soon and am building stock of various neutral and some other hearts cut spirits. I wouldn't expect a puke in those scenarios unless maybe you were running very hard and fast. I stripped a full boiler full of sugar wash last night at full 5k5W with no puke (no botanicals though)...

Cheers,
j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Grappa-Gringo
Swill Maker

Post by Grappa-Gringo »

I had some berries floating in the boiler (macerated) along with a gin basket in the vapor path. Perhaps I put too much in the botanicals basket...none of the botanicals came out through the vapor path...hmm....
CopperFiend
Swill Maker

Post by CopperFiend »

Chuck it back in after you've cleaned the riser and condenser and go for it again. It will be fine.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Was this wash or spirit that had been run in the past and then being used to make gin?
Grappa-Gringo
Swill Maker

Post by Grappa-Gringo »

Saltbush Bill : it was a second generation sugar wash so to speak.... I made a vapor based run 10 days ago, all went good. Used the backset again adding 7 pounds of sugar... waited for ferment to die and went onto this (disasterous) run.... it wasn't that bad really...just a little miffed at losing time spend on zero production...lol... As Copperfiend stated, I'll throw it back in and re-run it this weekend. Just not as hot and fast...
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

The whole damn thing sounds like a disaster to me , what are you trying to do there ?.....who uses backset to make generational sugar wash?
Grappa-Gringo
Swill Maker

Post by Grappa-Gringo »

Saltbush Bill... i sent you a PM.... please check it out
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Meanwhile, you could ri-distiller your product and in the meantime you will have the chance to think about what you were wrong in the procedure (you know it was the hurry!)