Blackberries

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Blackberries

Post by SmokyMtn »

I finally got some ripe blackberries. Picked little shy of half a gallon today. If I can keep the birds and critters off em, I should wind up with 8-9 gallons this year. Bout to be cobbler and dumplin time.

Any yall having luck picking?
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
Bushman
Admin

Re: Blackberries

Post by Bushman »

I’ve been watching our blackberry bushes and you are ahead of us by weeks here in the PNW. What do you plan on making with the blackberries?
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Post by SmokyMtn »

This first picking will likely go to cobbler. Probably freeze the rest. Would love to try my hand at making some panty dropper.
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I’ve had a lot of compliments on my blackberry liqueur recipe, you might want to try.
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 58&t=67443
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Post by SmokyMtn »

Thank you. I hadn't seen that one.
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Your welcome, I have been watching the blackberries as this is what I will use them for again this year.
HiroP
Novice

Post by HiroP »

I've made blackberry liquior last year using the panty dropper method and it was (all gone now) great. I added a tiny bit of the liquior to Odins rye bread whiskey and that was great as well.
Our bushes are not ready yet but it looks like a huge crop this year.
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

SmokyMtn wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:55 pm I finally got some ripe blackberries. Picked little shy of half a gallon today. If I can keep the birds and critters off em, I should wind up with 8-9 gallons this year. Bout to be cobbler and dumplin time.

i am/was not familiar with the word cobbler but after a quick google you definitely should make some AND invite me for a taste.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Post by SmokyMtn »

Setsumi wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:12 am
SmokyMtn wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:55 pm I finally got some ripe blackberries. Picked little shy of half a gallon today. If I can keep the birds and critters off em, I should wind up with 8-9 gallons this year. Bout to be cobbler and dumplin time.

i am/was not familiar with the word cobbler but after a quick google you definitely should make some AND invite me for a taste.
Oh lord have mercy. You have got to make one. It's not worth a damn for your health, like most southern food. But it sure is good. Hot right of the oven with scoop of vanilla ice cream on top
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

SmokyMtn wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:38 pm
Setsumi wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:12 am

Oh lord have mercy. You have got to make one. It's not worth a damn for your health, like most southern food. But it sure is good. Hot right of the oven with scoop of vanilla ice cream on top
Well SHIT! :!:
First thing, I've been out of town.
Come home my wife says Aldi had blueberries on sale so I loaded the freezer and also made a blueberry pie.

and now this talk about cobblers!
I'm TRYING to be on a carb free diet. Lord help me!
Anyway, here's the recipe for foolproof cobbler.
You can tell I'm right cause this guy is acting a fool.
My only disagreement. Be a little light on the sugar if you don't want it so sweet (remember you're going to put ice cream on it.
Also, do NOT mix the batter into the butter. Melt the butter, make sure you grease the sides of the pan, then gently pour the batter in the middle then add fruit.
As we say down here, so good it'll make you slap your Mama!
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

i watched that video while brewing my first cup of coffee for the day. boy, i am going to treat myself this sunday. we are in the coldest part of winter here, hope i get some fresh black berries in the shop. otherwise i will get blue berries....
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Caliche
Novice

Post by Caliche »

Blackberries are looking plentiful this year. Though mote rain wouldn’t hurt. That recipe looks good, Bushman. We’ll give it a shot! We did a plum liqueur last year with the Italian prunes and it was excellent.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Bushman wrote:I’ve had a lot of compliments on my blackberry liqueur recipe, you might want to try.
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 58&t=67443
Bushman, made your recipe last year and its fantastic. Blackberries on the dry side of the state are still 3 weeks away.
Dr Griz
Bootlegger
Location: Stowed away aboard the flagship of a pirate zeppelin armada

Post by Dr Griz »

Two years ago, I started pulling up the blackberries along my fence row and planting them in two nice rows in a sunny part of the yard. We now get enough blackberries every year for my missus to get all she wants for baking and for me to get just enough to make some lovely infusions. Just a couple of cups of berries in a quart jar, topped up with something white (rum is good, but so is corn likker). Right around New Year, when everything is dark and cold, a dram will remind you that Spring can't stay away forever.

Can't wait to lay down a few more jars this year -- that reminds me, I need to make some more of something white to pour over them!
qui bene bibit est beatus
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Blackberries are ripe here so tomorrow will pick some for my BlackBerry Liqueur recipe. (Link to recipe posted above).
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

my blackberries are done for the year. I have never managed to get any berries all the way into the house. :lol: :lol:
be water my friend
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

cob wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:22 pm my blackberries are done for the year. I have never managed to get any berries all the way into the house. :lol: :lol:
I grew up on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. My mother made blackberry jam and the whole family picked blackberries.
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Post by SmokyMtn »

Mine are slowing down. But your recipe is on my short list!
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Berries picked cleaned and combined in my Blackberry Liqueur recipe, now resting for a week or more.
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Mine are just ready for some picking. So are the mosquitoes.