Desert Island Hooch

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Desert Island Hooch

Post by Stonecutter »

You’re stuck on a deserted island with the ability to make only one kind of spirit. What is it?
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Desert Island Hooch

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Depends on what is growing on that island

stay safe
ovz
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Well, since you phrased the question so broadly brother, I would make bourbon, since there were no limits on what I could grow.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

:D A rum that matures in a week
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I'd go with rum too. I can make rum that's nice hot off the still and rum that needs years, using the same equipment, but it would have to come with all of the heavy duty equipment needed for crushing and juicing the cane and I'm not talking about some hand cranked POS off FleaBay.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

NZChris wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:22 pm I'd go with rum too. I can make rum that's nice hot off the still and rum that needs years, using the same equipment, but it would have to come with all of the heavy duty equipment needed for crushing and juicing the cane and I'm not talking about some hand cranked POS off FleaBay.
A desert island with electricity, then.

Geoff
The Baker
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

The Baker wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:00 pm
NZChris wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:22 pm I'd go with rum too. I can make rum that's nice hot off the still and rum that needs years, using the same equipment, but it would have to come with all of the heavy duty equipment needed for crushing and juicing the cane and I'm not talking about some hand cranked POS off FleaBay.
A desert island with electricity, then.

Geoff
LOL
A desert island with all of the modern conveniences that I would need except for other people?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I do, occasionally, visit a doG forsaken tropical rock in the middle of nowhere and make my own likker and coconut oil while I'm there.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Seems like if I can make anything I want now and with this scenario I can make anything I want why would I change what I am doing unless I am limited to only one item.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Bushman wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:01 am Seems like if I can make anything I want now and with this scenario I can make anything I want why would I change what I am doing unless I am limited to only one item.
Well that’s the point ya drunken bastard :moresarcasm: By some sick twist of fate you’re only able to make one kind of booze. I think I’d roll with whiskey. But I’m with Chris I ain’t harvesting the Barley and malting by hand. Whatever evil genie or conspirator put me on this damn island better be hooking it up with some industrial equipment…maybe a few minions
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
River Rat
Swill Maker

Post by River Rat »

If corn, barley, and white oak grew on that island I'd be fine. Wheat would be a nice bonus.
Plain ole pot rig.
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Apple brandy for sure. You can make cider and apple butter too. Apples are like the swiss army knife of fruit.
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

i only do corn licker, so i would be OK if there is maize, better if there is maize meal and enzymes. it would help if there is some oak to help to age to wiskey. it would be super if there is no one to nagg me.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

I'd go with bourbon whiskey because then I could also make beer. And if the Genie is gonna provide enough new oak barrels for my bourbon, I'll make a raft to get off the island!
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I’m with Tummy but why would you wanna get off that island? I’ve spent my life trying to get on this island. I bet there’s gonna be adequate seafood and i hope my ole lady and a couple pets are with us too.
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Ok Jonny, a raft to go fishing!
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor