Topo maps

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

contrahead
Trainee

Topo maps

Post by contrahead »

Man I wish they'd had interactive detailed topo maps like these back in the 1970's, (when I spent much quality time jeeping and motorcycling around in the high country. Today some of the BLM roads above treeline are still open, but the US Forest Service below treeline, has either permanently closed off or otherwise by locks and gates - denies public assess to 95% of those old logging and mining roads I once explored ).

“The Swiss Federal Office of Topography (SwissTopo) is world-renowned for its accuracy, quality and artistry. In the SwissTopo portal, you can explore their collections of topographic maps at a range of scales.

For example, their Journey Through Time maps compare Switzerland dating back to 1864. It incorporates the classic hillshade techniques patented by Swiss cartographer, Eduard Imhof.”

Swiss Topo Maps
Omnia mea mecum porto
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Topo maps

Post by Yonder »

Used to order and use ‘em regularly in hunting the Shenandoahs. Don’t have much use for Swiss mapping, tho’
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Damn Contra , thats an awesome site for the Swiss . Wish we had that here . Some fine detail . :thumbup:
I’m a map freak.
I remember my dads old dear stalking maps . Old cloth things that were so worn on the fold lines .

When I moved to my area , I bought maps of the area .

When my son started trail bike riding on his own , I insisted he take my maps in his nap sack. He told me I was dumb . He had a phone with google maps on it .

One day he come home late and thanked me . His phone had no coverage . My maps worked .
B95C1F8C-5C4C-4756-80AE-9930FBBB3C09.jpeg
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Yummyrum wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:28 am My maps worked .
B95C1F8C-5C4C-4756-80AE-9930FBBB3C09.jpeg
Hell of a great lesson for the young man. Two, actually; tech ain’t always with you, and listen to yer old man, he knows what he’s talkin’ about. :ebiggrin:
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.