So my best friend just called me seeking help for alcoholism...

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

So my best friend just called me seeking help for alcoholism...

Post by Chauncey »

This is like having the members of the grateful dead at yer drug intervention.

He woke up several hundred miles away in his car luckily just pulled over on the side of the i10

He lives a couple hours away from Nola so I found some meetings online and stuff

He admitted he was an alcoholic which I know is a first step

I know this is a weird place to ask but I know we all know people who were heavy or sloppy drinkers and got clean, what kind of resources do you guys think are the most effective?
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: So my best friend just called me seeking help for alcoholism...

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Admitting it is a problem , and having a friend that he trusts enough to talk to about it would be two very big steps in the process I would think.
Not sure where you take it from there, probably differs from person to person and how they want to deal with it.
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

Chauncey wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:40 pm This is like having the members of the grateful dead at yer drug intervention.

He woke up several hundred miles away in his car luckily just pulled over on the side of the i10

He lives a couple hours away from Nola so I found some meetings online and stuff

He admitted he was an alcoholic which I know is a first step

I know this is a weird place to ask but I know we all know people who were heavy or sloppy drinkers and got clean, what kind of resources do you guys think are the most effective?
He confided in you which means he trusts you, be supportive and check on him. Be the person he thinks that you are because he obviously holds you in pretty high esteem, you may be the first resource he needs, Good luck :D
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Inpatient is often required for the detox phase which can be very dangerous. They’ll prescribe valium for a few days along with IV fluids and of course following up with support and program. AA or similar is generally an ongoing support group situation after initial rehab.

Hope for the best with your friend Chauncey!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Just assuming that he confided in you because you were his favorite bartender??
Admitting it is only a first minor step, I had a coworker that admitted it but still was wasted before 9AM every day. It took a rib breaking fall and a trip to the ER for him to realize that he had a true alcohol problem, we all stood around him and pushed him to participate in AA, he has been sober for the last 12 years.
Good luck with your friend Chauncey
Stay safe
OVZ
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Chauncey wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:40 pm
AA

My youngest brother is an alcoholic. He takes his addiction seriously, every day, never misses a meeting and follows all of the rules. He is now 15years sober and tells me stories of members' drinking and substance habits (and relapses) that would make you cringe, yet the system, if followed, can work. By your friend reaching out to you most likely means he is ready to try. Because of your relationship, it would probably mean the world if you went to a meeting or two with him. It helped my brother.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

what kind of resources do you guys think are the most effective?
I drink at home.
It saves wear and tear on my truck, drivers license and other peoples safety.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

shadylane wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:24 pm
what kind of resources do you guys think are the most effective?
I drink at home.
It saves wear and tear on my truck, drivers license and other peoples safety.
This. And I camp.

I have a number of friends who went to Shick Schadle for rehab. Not one of them has had a relapse. It's ugly, aversion therapy, but it's effective.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.