Vacation

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Vacation

Post by Bushman »

This was my view the last 9 days. We have now left the desert and heading north up the coast of California. Today I plan on going to my first distillery tour in a few years. It appears to be a small local distillery that has a tasting room. My wife said she would be the designated driver since I have driven over 2000 miles thus far.
D61ED311-E49C-4FD3-BC96-D4F0C24E7A99.jpeg
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Re: Vacation

Post by OtisT »

Safe travels to you and your wife. A whole bunch of rain is coming your way.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Post by SmokyMtn »

OtisT wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:03 am Safe travels to you and your wife. A whole bunch of rain is coming your way.

Otis
Reckon they need it out there. Yall be careful
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

SmokyMtn wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:53 am
OtisT wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:03 am Safe travels to you and your wife. A whole bunch of rain is coming your way.

Otis
Reckon they need it out there. Yall be careful
Ya, they need rain but this is gonna be too much for some areas. I saw they were expecting a foot of rain in some places. They called it a level 4 or 5 moisture flow or air river or something like that. The stream of moist air is carrying as much water as the Mississippi River. They expect a lot of flash flooding in central and northern California and mud/debris flows anywhere there have been fires (which is every freaking where.).

The costal route highway will likely experience major issues/delays this week.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

When I went to the small distillery my wife and I were the only one’s there. He had just upgraded from two smaller MileHi stills to a much larger still and was in the learning process. We got to talking and I was wearing a distilling t-shirt so we discussed a few of the technical issues. During the tasting he was talking about collecting alcohol pre-prohibition. He pulled out one bottle that was dated 1910 with alcohol in it and another from the same stash that he let me sample. It was very smooth. You can see the date on the neck of the bottle if you zoom in.
58311CD4-6B65-47D6-BBC0-8B4E97E9BEDE.jpeg
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

That bottle had to have passed through several sets of hands during a century's time. Assuming that the whisky inside is authentic and wasn't replaced at some point; it's amazing that those people had the willpower, not to drink it up.
Omnia mea mecum porto
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Am I reading that right Bushy ? 8 years in the barrel before bottling? Guessing that will be one of the rarer drops to ever pass your lips.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:37 am Am I reading that right Bushy ? 8 years in the barrel before bottling? Guessing that will be one of the rarer drops to ever pass your lips.
Talk about your ability to discern what you were tasting! What a fortuitous blessing, Bushy.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer