Mrs Cranky is having some issues

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

cranky
Master of Distillation

Mrs Cranky is having some issues

Post by cranky »

I've hinted about Mrs Cranky's medical problems over the past few months and I guess it's time to let everybody in on it and maybe ask for some positive thoughts over the next few months.

Some of Y'all might remember a few years ago Mrs Cranky had a little issue that resulted in a 10 day hospital stay, most of the time in a coma in ICU and kidney failure. The original diagnosis was diabetic ketoacidosis but thanks to a doctor who was on the ball they realized it was actually sepsis combined with a reaction to some medication she was taking.

Thankfully with a lot of medical attention, a trip through dialysis and a whole lot of prayers and good thoughts from you guys she pilled through and recovered.

Then around the end of January 2020 I got sick with a strange pneumonia. At the time I had been exposed to a lot of people coming to this country from China, including the first person in the US officially diagnosed with Covid-19. While taking care of me Mrs Cranky also got it. I recovered and eventually got all better but Mrs Cranky began having a lot of problems, particularly with what we thought were her kidneys. As it turns out a lot of women are having what is now being called "Long Covid" which is what I assume was the problem. Of course it's hard to find a doctor these days that will actually listen about such things but after struggling for over a year she decided this year we are going to try like hell to get a doctor to listen and fix her problems.

Then she started having problems similar to what she had that required the medication that she had the reaction to. Fortunately for us her doctor decided to retire this year forcing her to find a new one The new one was willing to send her for a crap load of tests, basically whatever Mrs Cranky felt was needed. Also fortunately her kidneys tested fine...unfortunately other things didn't and the cause of the problems was diagnosed as actually cancer.

So now the entire focus of our world shifted sideways and the number one priority became making Mrs Cranky better. So after several visits t the the Oncologist and 3 or 4 very painful biopsies it was determined the tumors are benign which is both a best and worst case scenario at this point because the tumors still need removed and are still causing severe problems but the hospitals around here decided that only emergency surgeries will be allowed and require the surgeon to get approval from a board and because the tumors are benign the board isn't willing to allow the surgeries...that's right surgeries, not just one but a complicated double surgery with two surgeons at the same time working on 2 different issues. So we got on the surgery waiting list.

Before the hospital shut down surgeries the oncologist recommended she get the first covid shots because she will require at the very least an overnight hospital stay.

So we debated which ones to get and decided on the pfizer and got our first shots and just before the surgeries were about to happen the hospital shut everything down. We waited a month and then got our 2nd shots... and almost exactly 2 weeks later we were sitting down to dinner and Mrs Cranky said "Something's wrong, my tongue feels numb". I already knew about the reports of Bells Palsy manifesting 2 weeks after getting the 2nd Pfizer shot and wondered if that was the problem. Shortly after saying her tongue felt numb she said the right side of her face felt numb. Shortly after that her right arm was numb, then her leg. At this point I told her I thought she was having a stroke and talked her into going to the emergency room. Talking Mrs Cranky into going to the emergency room is ordinarily a monumental task but she agreed and off we went.

I got her into the ER and when I checked her in they said I had to leave her in the waiting room and wait outside and under no circumstance would I be allowed into the room with her. She said if I did that she is going home. So with the receptionist glaring at me the whole time I waited with her until they called her, which seemed like a long time but in reality was only a few minutes. I then handed her over to the nurse and walked out to my car to wait. By this time she was dragging her leg a bit, slurring her words and somewhat confused.

By the time I got to the car the guard came out and said they wanted me in the room with her, so I guess the receptionist was wrong and there were actually circumstances where I would be allowed in. I later found out that as soon as the doctor looked at the symptoms she screamed "POSSIBLE STOKE! GET HER HUSBAND IN HERE NOW!"

So inside I explained what happened and they set to work to verify a stroke. After a lot of testing and 2 CT scans they found little wrong and Mrs Cranky began to get better. They said they didn't know what was wrong and wanted to send her to the big hospital for an MRI to make sure it wasn't this, that or the other thing. Mrs Cranky refused to go in an ambulance because in spite of having the very best insurance offered by my employer it is total and utter garbage and we know a couple people who took similar rides only to have the insurance refuse to pay for the ambulance leaving them on the hook for as much as $12,000. At this point we already are into this saga for many thousands of dollars. So she told them she was feeling better and was stable so she would have me take her to the big hospital and they reluctantly agreed.

So we headed to the big hospital where they told her I wouldn't be allowed to come inside and they would need to keep her overnight...aaannndd...have I mentioned that the only way to get Mrs Cranky to stay in a hospital without me is for her to be in a coma? and even then the one time I left in 7 days she woke up from her coma :lol: So she refused to go in without me and we went home. The next Monday she called her doctor, got an emergency appointment, a referral to a neurologist and a whole lot of testing to try to find out what happened. As yet they haven't found anything significant to explain it but Friday she had a very long MRI with contrast and that will be the final thing the neurologist needs. If he doesn't find anything significant he is either going to say it was a severe migraine, which is total bullshit because she has had migraines before and non ever mimicked a stroke, or he will blame the medicine she is on due to the tumors. Blaming the medicine would likely move her up the surgery list so that is the hope. In reality I have to believe it was a reaction to the pfizer shot. Perhaps due to long covid, or an extreme version of Bell's Palsy or something.

In waiting rooms throughout this whole thing I have done a lot of research and buried deep in the internet actually found medical journals talking of reported cases of similar things with various covid vaccines but of course no doctor in America would dare suggest such a thing.

So, my long planned for winter vacation starts Wednesday, Mrs Cranky's birthday is the 22nd and I'm half expecting the doctor to call and say "Happy Birthday, we are doing your surgery for your present" and the rest of my vacation will be spent taking care of her post surgery but it would be worth it to put an end to this whole ordeal.
cob
Master of Distillation

Re: Mrs Cranky is having some issues

Post by cob »

With you cranky and Mrs cranky.
be water my friend
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Wishing you both the best Cranky and Mrs Cranky.
Life's twists n turns never seem to stop.....all goes smoothly for a while then...........
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

I’m sending good energy to both your wife and you. Wish you the best. Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Our prayers.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Healing thoughts are on their way.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

I will add your Mrs to my prayers. I know a little of what you are going through. I am taking care of my wife who is presently on O2 due to "Long covid".
Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

Please encourage Mrs. Cranky to heed the advice of medical professionals. She may not want to stay in a hospital but there is diddly squat you can do if things go awry at home.

Strongs to you and Mrs. Cranky.
One too many wasted sunsets, one too many for the road.
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

I am so sorry to hear of Mrs Cranky’s health problems.
Am definitely saying a prayer for the two of you.
Screw those that don’t let you be by her side during this whole thing, I have found through life by taking care of quite a few family members that one of the most important things is a family member being by their side and watching over them.
Again my prayers are for the two of you and wishing Mrs Cranky success.
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

You should probably reach out to friends and family right now.
Sounds like this is very difficult. Here there are palliative and sympathetic exceptions for caregivers.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Lots of love to Mrs. Cranky.

It feels as though she has been a friend for ever.

Geoff
The Baker
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

Sorry to hear you are in the wars Cranky. Mrs Cranky sounds like she’s made of the right stuff, are you sure she’s not an aussie? Best wishes to you both.
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

Def with you mate wishing you and mrs cranky the best. And a speedy recovery.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Sorry to hear this news, not knowing for sure is always hard. We fly home from St. Augustine today and on Thursday my wife goes in for a hysterectomy as they found a growth the size of an orange. Later because of her arthritis they will do another surgery on her hip. I know what it is like when your spouse is in pain and incapable of doing her normal day to day routine. Both you and your wife take care.
Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Post by Corn Cracker »

Prayers and positive vibes sent y'alls way, it's hard to see our loved ones going through things we can't fix for them. She sounds like a STRONG woman!
"To ease the pressures of this world here's the way i got it figured, the thing to do for me and you is to drink lots of good corn liquor"
Buck Owens
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

And best to Mrs. Bushman and yourself, Bushman.

Geoff
The Baker
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Shit! Best of luck to you both, and don't be afraid to question a doctor's take on a situation. You have time to read journal articles that they may never see. My mum has been managing her diabetes for 30 years largely by taking matters into her own hands. If she'd not pushed back a little from time-to-time she'd have been on insulin for half that time whereas she managed to reduce her medication a few years back by making some radical changes to her diet. I'm not saying to ignore them, but don't be afraid to push back, or at least make them justify their positions.

In any case, good luck.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

Sorry to learn of the health problems that both Mrs. Cranky and Mrs. Bushman are having to go through. Truly, getting older ain't for wimps. After surviving a couple of major cancer ordeals myself, I can only wish for you both to have the best outcomes. May the Good Lord bless you both, and hope to hear good results in both cases.
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Cranky, You and the Mrs are both in our thoughts and prayers as is Bush and Mrs Bush. As others have mentioned please take care of each other and question the doc's.
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Some research shows that praying for people with disease results in more complications, so I will NOT pray for you. Thus preventing complications.

But I wish you all the strength you need and still all the happiness that is possible.
opus345
Novice

Post by opus345 »

Thoughts and prayers to both the Crankys and the Bushs.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Sorry to hear of the ordeal the Missus is going through. She’s made of tough stuff though, and I’m guessing she has a lot more watching over you to do.

Anyone going into a hospital needs a good spotter, she’s very fortunate to have you. Lucky to have each other, hang in there.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Cranky, I shared your story with Mrs Brick and our thoughts are with you both.

A giant bow to you for the love and care you have provided throughout her ordeal. Having been with my wife through her hysterectomy a number of years back, yours and Bushman’s are perfect examples of sharing the same strength and comfort to your beloved that you would no doubt receive should the roles be reversed.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Best wishes to Mrs. Bushman and you also Bushman.
be water my friend
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

My heart goes out to you both. I pray that you and Mrs. Cranky will pull through this and become stronger for it. I lost my Grandpa 3 weeks ago to water retention in the heart. I told myself I wouldn’t bring it up in the forum but your openness and honesty has made me change my mind. Grandpa was 91 and had gotten the “jab” had been complaining of “not feeling right” pretty much right after. Clean bill of health, for his age, didn’t drink or smoke. This forum is not political. I would say my Grandpa was even less political. Having lived through Nazi occupation in the Netherlands he really just wanted to laugh and live his life. A very charitable man till the very end. Non of the Dr’s and quite a few family members refuse to discuss the vaccine as having any contribution to his death. He told me in the hospital that he thought it was the vaccine. Nothing will change the fact that the old man died. But to refuse to look at any avenue of contribution to his death is ridiculous. Again this isn’t political. Personally, I hate all politics. I hope the very best for you and yours Cranky. You just keep being there and letting the light shine through. I’m not sure if you’re a religious man but I always find comfort in believing in a grand plan. There’s times I don’t understand and it hurts to keep climbing the mountain but you keep going brother. The clouds will clear eventually and the hill will level out.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Thank you for all the good words everybody. Eventually I hope to show this thread to Mrs Cranky and hopefully she will respond herself but she really doesn't like me discussing things that are so personal.

Overall it's been a rough year...or two but it's not all bad.

A little over a year ago Mrs Cranky discovered she has family. It's kind of a long story but I'll try to give the short version. Mrs Cranky was born to a 15 or 16 year old unwed mother and was born in a hospital in a tiny little town in southwest Louisiana that doesn't even exist anymore and was adopted by a nurse who worked at the hospital and her husband. We had very little information on the girl but we had a name and her father once told me her birth mother was from "back east" and the girls father worked on a shrimp boat which is why they came there to have the baby. That is about all we knew and over the years any attempt to find the girl met dead ends.

Then Mrs Cranky did a couple of those DNA sites and a couple years later was contacted by a first cousin asking about how they are related. Of course we had no answers but eventually the cousin worked out who Mrs Cranky's father was and informed her she had a brother and put her in contact with him. As it turned out her brother not only had the same father but the same mother as well and for the icing on the cake she also has 2 full sisters and an additional half brother.

She seems to have become fairly close with the now middle sister who happens to share the same middle name. They call each other often and she is hilarious. I think this has been helpful.

I think all of y'alls kind words will also be helpful.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Good luck Mr & Mrs Cranky!
And to you too Mr & Mrs Bushman.
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Sheeit Cranky. Good luck, with your support you can get her through this.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

You’re a good man, Cranky, for standing strong with your wife through the challenges. Best wishes for you both.

Prayers sent.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by seamusm53 »

This physician still believes that her 'stroke' was related to her covid vax - mostly because of timing. Not every stroke involves permanent neurologic damage. Many with stroke-like symptoms have transient impairment and full recovery - usually labelled TIA's or Transient Ischemic Attacks. All 'stroke' events involve clot obstruction of brain arteries - some of which the body is able to dissolve before permanent brain injury has resulted. Our health officials have minimized clot risk from the covid vaccines but there is no doubt it is a real problem. The risk from these clotting complications are highest within the first few months after the jabs and seems to become less likely as time goes on. I am glad she recovered. Ya'll can make up your own minds re: boosters.