Winter blues.

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

PC1
Novice

Winter blues.

Post by PC1 »

It’s 4 below zero right now, headed for 18 below tonight. Thinking about warmer weather with some fresh new recipes for the still. Days with cares blown away in the wind on the Harley. Do I wanna build a snowman? HELL NO! I wanna be on a beach. I need to fly to St. Somewhere!
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Winter blues.

Post by Dancing4dan »

I hear you. Prairie Alberta is a tough winter this year. January and February are long here.

Gotta say though, yellow label yeast may just be the change up I’ve been looking for on the distilling front.

Motorcycle and rat rod will have to wait until it warms up. 🙂🙂🙂
"What harms us is to persist in self deceit and ignorance"
Marcus Aurelius
I’m not an alcoholic! I’m a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings!
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

The short days absolutely destroy me. Let alone the cold. I visited the city of eternal spring this winter... I could deal with that weather. Their shortest day of the year is 11 hours of sun.... 90 minutes more than here. And you can actually be outside, in a t-shirt, and enjoy it.
:)
BlueSasquatch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BlueSasquatch »

You kidding me? Nothing better than mashing in the winter and then setting the mash-tun outside in the snow, hit those pitching temps post-haste.

Not enough daylight? Perfect, less people to see me run my still and/or run back and forth between the house and shed with armfuls of mason jars.
"In the silence of the study one can discuss theories, but only in practice one becomes an artist" - Meunier
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

I feel for everyone up on Canada. Spent a couple of winters working in Airdrie and it felt like almost noon before the sun came up and was dark by 3:00.

At least I live in a sunny place. Really feel for those in places like Vancouver. Not only short days but no sun. I was on a project there for a year as well. Started in Oct so it was low clouds and drizzle all the time. By April I was sure it was the worst project in the world, just terrible. But things got better in May when the sun came out and it was light late enough to enjoy a run in Stanley Park.

for me the sun down by 5:30 means I am not doing outside things so will head to the shop and do a stripping run in the evening. Once summer is here I will not have the time to be running a still.