Just introducing myself!

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

TigerSoul
Novice

Just introducing myself!

Post by TigerSoul » Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:52 pm

Good afternoon, everyone. My name is Craig. :)

I've been lurking on here for a couple of weeks after mentally toying around with the idea of making my own whiskey and rum. I'm more a whiskey afficianado than anything these days, and I have a penchant for tinkering with things -- I do all my own car-work and naturally stuff around the house. I'm 30 years old, so you won't see a bunch of half-cocked jibberish coming from my keyboard.

I'm definitely not green when it comes to the internet or forums -- I moderate the forums over at Camaroz28.com and a couple of other sites, so I've been trying to educate myself as much as possible here in order to keep from asking questions that have been asked a million times before. I've read through all the wiki, though it seems like it's designed to grow with the knowledge of the userbase. My understanding of the distilling process is pretty basic, so you'll have to excuse the dumb questions I'll invariably ask.

I know the basics...creating a wash and letting it sit before you throw it in the still -- using or not using certain parts of the run, aging in oak barrels if possible to add character and refine your creation. I seem to run into conflicting information when it comes to whether a reflux or pot still is best for whiskey.

And I'm at a bit of a personal impasse on which way to go on the still itself -- I'd like a setup that's high-enough quality to produce great bourbons and rums, but I have absolutely zilch in terms of welding equipment or experience. The general consensus seems to be that crock-pot stills or other cheapie models can only reach a certain level of flavor/smoothness, even with the aid of a thumper. So I wouldn't mind input on whether I should buy or build -- I've been eyeing the $250 Brewhaus model that can be made to operate in Pot or Reflux mode.

Anyway, just wanted to say howdy. It's nice to be a part of this group -- any input on what I've put forth is great, but I plan on posting it in the appropriate forums to follow etiquette. Thanks!

AkCoyote
Swill Maker

Post by AkCoyote » Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:40 pm

Craig:
Welcome to the forum. There's a wealth of information here and one thing in common. There are NO STUPID QUESTIONS but we ask everyone to please READ http://homedistiller.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow before asking a lot of uninformed questions. Then when something doesn't make sense, anyone here would be glad to clarify. Good Luck!

AkCoyote

Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

yep

Post by Uncle Jesse » Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:18 pm

if you want to learn, use my simple sour mash method, available in the wiki. it's a great way to learn to make whisky.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.

LeftLaneCruiser
Swill Maker

Post by LeftLaneCruiser » Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:21 pm

Well, the Coyote said it all... 8)

So:
welcome and good luck :!:

KJH

MyDBear
Swill Maker

Post by MyDBear » Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:03 pm

Welcome aboard Graig:If yer looking for a setup that's high-enough quality to produce great bourbons and rums I think a pot still is the way ya want ta go a reflux will make a neutral spirit it can be used ta make bourbons and rums but I think a pot still will this better.
Be Patient God aint finished with me yet

outlawokie
Novice

Post by outlawokie » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:15 am

Welcome :D
Bring on the twister - I ain't skeered. Hurry put the still in the cellar.

Pieterpost
Swill Maker

Post by Pieterpost » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:45 am

Welcome aboard ! :D

And build your own still, your whiskey will taste so much better when you do ! :wink:

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:34 pm

WELCOME!!!

I agree with MyDBear. If your after whiskey, pot stills are the way to go.

The 2-in-1 reflux/potstill design from Brewhaus and/or milehidistilling seem to be decent. If ya don't mind spending the money, it would be an easy and less time consuming way to figure out which style you like better. If it is high proof you are after...use a reflux, if it is whiskey or brandies...use a pot-still.

~Pothead