General atmosphere of forum

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

whiskymonster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: General atmosphere of forum

Post by whiskymonster »

Hmm.

May i suggest we all take a quick look at the world around us?

People have gotten crazy and mean over the last few years. I mean even more than they used to be. We just came out of a pandemic that financially and psychologically damaged many people, and we are marching straight into world war 3. This kind of thing fucks with the minds of even the most level headed.

This place is obviously going to be no exception since it is full of people. Real ones who say what they think rather than what you want to hear. As it goes i think hd has actually remained quite civil and sensible, or at least fared better than other online communities.

People are people. Some of em are dicks. Come to peace with it as it isnt going to get better.
It's much easier to cut a bit off than weld a bit on...
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

SeeSeeVeeEmm wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:19 am
Tater wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:35 am
SeeSeeVeeEmm wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:48 am
Tater wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:16 am
Looks like you havent read rules here .
Looks like you can’t detect sarcasm on the internet bud.

Also, you’re delusional if you think banned members don’t make alt accounts, or that some members have multiples.
few might get by .we have our ways checking .there been few Ive banned several times . takes me about 30 seconds to ban someone .However onec ip blocked as well as email and name takes poster longer to get back on . one thing that doesnt change over time is way ya type /talk .theres software that picks up on that bud.
Hey, sorry bud I’m an old fogie and I just call it like I see it, and your “hacker” software isn’t working one bit! I’ve seen members admit to having banned accounts and alts and still posting today.
But ya got caught this time waterbelly .
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by seamusm53 »

While a contributor, I do not own this site nor have I been asked or volunteered to be a moderator - now THAT would be asking the devil for a little help! Haha! Yes it is terribly annoying for some of the members who are experienced to constantly whine to newbies that 'there is a search engine - USE IT! REALLY? There are way too many THOUSANDS of posts and c'mon guys, newbies wanna get started not go to school. And while safety (legal AND health) is admittedly paramount do we really address safety or just culture when verbally spanking someone for use of 'non-glass or metal' outside of the distilling/heating path? I have resigned myself to this site's foibles and that some people just like to complain. It remains an incredible resource which continues to have an impact on hobbyists and erstwhile pros across the globe.
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

I love this place, and mostly see helpful, interested folks discussing the craft and lots of questions and answers. Some stories.

Just like in 'the real world', some people seem nicer than others. But the rules we live by and the moderators seem to keep things generally on target and out of the weeds. We live in a world where the metaphorical weeds have just about clogged the airwaves and internet, so I appreciate this. I also think it's probably not possible for everybody to not ever have their feelings hurt.

I think it's valid to just state in the abstract that it's a reasonable expectation that we are generally respectful of each other, and keep our conversations away from highly divisive topics. Also that we shouldn't expect perfection, and the occasional reminder is part of the equation.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I've been on forums that have a bear pit, or vipers den for people to "hash it out". A great way for folks to call out the Keyboard Commandos and take them to task, but it rarely settles differences.
There's always the ingore feature if you take issue with certain personalities. Just like in real life, avoid people that you can't tolerate. The downside is you'll likely miss a nugget or few of great knowledge.
It's best to just put on you big boy pants and come to terms with the realization that diversity of opinion and personalities is actually a good thing. There are folks here from all over the world. Different cultures, age groups, and occupations. All bring something useful to the site.
There are very few shit-posters here. Find a way that works best for you to deal with them, or walk away.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hillbilly Popstar »

Deplorable wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:20 am I've been on forums that have a bear pit, or vipers den for people to "hash it out". A great way for folks to call out the Keyboard Commandos and take them to task, but it rarely settles differences.
There's always the ingore feature if you take issue with certain personalities. Just like in real life, avoid people that you can't tolerate. The downside is you'll likely miss a nugget or few of great knowledge.
It's best to just put on you big boy pants and come to terms with the realization that diversity of opinion and personalities is actually a good thing. There are folks here from all over the world. Different cultures, age groups, and occupations. All bring something useful to the site.
There are very few shit-posters here. Find a way that works best for you to deal with them, or walk away.
I have learned to adhere to the way things are done around here and I take the biased moderation with a grain of salt. But there is no way that the admins of this site are going to set up a place where they will allow people to openly criticize them and speak their mind freeky. All of these threads end up ending the same way, with a quick ban and a delete
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I can see where you might have interpreted my comment as a suggestion to add a bear's pit, but that was not the intent. Bear pits, or call out threads, don't help the community is what I was getting to.
Best to just be a man and rise above the bullshit. Scroll on past the shit-posts, and mine the nuggets.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

I did not want to comment on this thread. But this is a suggestion to the mods. Keep this thread open but rename it to whine and dine.... i dont have a rhyme on dine that relate to whine. All new threads with a commen theme gets refered here. Or just shut it down.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Biased?
This environment is not a democracy.
If a member does (ever) receive preferential treatment it's likely due to his ( or her) contribution to the collective knowledge. And also post history with respect to how well the member was able to get along with all personalities.

New folks showing up with nothing to contribute but complaints about how nasty ole what's his name is are just not going to be happy hanging out here.

Again, ya get what you pay for.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

maybe we could lobby UJ to monetize the site, then we could trip over ads in between every post and have pop ups and pixels and all that fun stuff, and then open it up to say whatever you want whenever you want....because then you're actually paying for it....

or maybe what we got going here ain't so bad.

LOL setsumi.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Hillbilly Popstar wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:09 am
I have learned to adhere to the way things are done around here and I take the biased moderation with a grain of salt. But there is no way that the admins of this site are going to set up a place where they will allow people to openly criticize them and speak their mind freeky.
Sounds like you're electioneering for the job. :lol:
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Deplorable wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:30 am I can see where you might have interpreted my comment as a suggestion to add a bear's pit, but that was not the intent. Bear pits, or call out threads, don't help the community is what I was getting to.
Best to just be a man and rise above the bullshit. Scroll on past the shit-posts, and mine the nuggets.
Like a I said, I have learned to adhere.

The benefits far outweigh the annoyances. This ain't my first message board rodeo nor Is it my first time on the internet.
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

shadylane wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:21 am
Hillbilly Popstar wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:09 am
I have learned to adhere to the way things are done around here and I take the biased moderation with a grain of salt. But there is no way that the admins of this site are going to set up a place where they will allow people to openly criticize them and speak their mind freeky.
Sounds like you're electioneering for the job. :lol:
Volunteer for wut? The cool kids don't want ME in their club, trust me. They'd regret it if they did let me in.
I have opinions and those are frowned upon.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Deplorable wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:20 am
There are folks here from all over the world. Different cultures, age groups, and occupations.
Not all folks have the same communication (grammar, ability to get a point across) and/or comprehension (just don't get it) skills. These kinds of challenges are what causes some pre-schoolers to become frustrated and prone to bite their peers.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Dathhu
Bootlegger

Post by Dathhu »

Twisted Brick wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:18 am
Deplorable wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:20 am
There are folks here from all over the world. Different cultures, age groups, and occupations.
Not all folks have the same communication (grammar, ability to get a point across) and/or comprehension (just don't get it) skills. These kinds of challenges are what causes some pre-schoolers to become frustrated and prone to bite their peers.
Not to mention the language barrier for many of the members. This being an open forum, it has members from all over the globe.

Some of the posts I've learnt a lot from have been non English speaking members. Yes, I might take a little longer to unravel what they're trying to say, but because they are trying to be as specific as they can, in a language that they aren't native in, some gems appear :)
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Deplorable wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:30 am I can see where you might have interpreted my comment as a suggestion to add a bear's pit, but that was not the intent. Bear pits, or call out threads, don't help the community is what I was getting to.
I agree.
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Quite a few posts here saying that the information is worth whatever poor behavior exists here. That is true. Well worth it because the information here is solid gold. But it misses the point, which is we should be polite regardless. My folks didn't bring me up to believe that I could act badly as long as I made it worth someone's while. They taught me to be polite, period. Personally I have a thick skin and it rolls off. Having been in the fire service you have to grow a thick skin quick. I have had a couple of bosses who were real jerks but taught me a lot and I am grateful for what I have learned from them. But that doesn't make me think they were good people, just knowledgeable. And they could have taught me just as effectively being nice. Probably more effectively.

I have never actually had anyone be rude to me here but I have seen some noob dogpiles. Rather than excusing it as worth it why don't we all just try to do better in the future. That is all we can ask from any of us.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

stillanoob wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:32 pm why don't we all just try to do better in the future. That is all we can ask from any of us.
:thumbup: I often think that very thing, I think many of us try but we still make mistakes occasionally , we are all human.
IMO the forum is now a much more user friendly place than it has been at times in the past.
That doesn't mean we have to accept BS, bad / wrong or poor information without calling it out. Some people seem to have extremely thin skins and offend very easily if they are called out on something.
I really don't understand how some of them cope in the real world.
BrewinBrian44
Rumrunner

Post by BrewinBrian44 »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:03 pm
stillanoob wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:32 pm why don't we all just try to do better in the future. That is all we can ask from any of us.
:thumbup: I often think that very thing, I think many of us try but we still make mistakes occasionally , we are all human.
IMO the forum is now a much more user friendly place than it has been at times in the past.
That doesn't mean we have to accept BS, bad / wrong or poor information without calling it out. Some people seem to have extremely thin skins and offend very easily if they are called out on something.
I really don't understand how some of them cope in the real world.

They’re probably millennials… haha

I’m one of them too, but don’t agree with how sensitive and victimized many are. I’ll leave it there.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Maybe as an administrator I am a bit bias but with close to 23,000 members from everywhere on this earth with the only thing in common is distilling I think we are doing pretty good! Part of it is the rules set up to keep arguments to minimum and with many experienced members (most of them gaining their experience from this forum) to help members I would give us pretty high marks.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

My frustration with censorship and altruistic virtue signaling is that the very people who complain about the atmosphere and “good old boys club” end up becoming that very thing. As far as nasty comments go the most flagrant obscenities seem to come from the people who are bitchin’ about being disrespected. Then there’s this idea that all must be approved by the fragile censors lest someone become offended :esurprised: Walking around on egg shells because a small group of users can’t cope with the big wide world around them is a waste of time. It’s been said before. Scroll past the comments you don’t like. If you’re not prepared to get a little ribbing then you better be damn sure about what you’re asking. The information is here. Put forth the effort or be prepared for the answers to your questions.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:03 pm I really don't understand how some of them cope in the real world.
To be fair, I suspect that in the real world, most people would make a bit more of an effort to temper their words. Or at least, the build-up is easier to see. On a forum you go from zero to "f*ck you, you dumb*ss piece of sh*t" in about 2 processor cycles! :D The interactions here between total beginners and the highly experienced is unusual for any "normal" social situation. Couple that with the anonymity and abstract interactions of the internet and things can get heated pretty quickly.
BrewinBrian44 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:57 pm They’re probably millennials… haha

I’m one of them too, but don’t agree with how sensitive and victimized many are. I’ll leave it there.
I still don't believe that this is a thing. I think the media portrayal of millennials would fit pretty much any generation if you pick and choose your examples. I do think that the internet has made it more obvious, and that (finally) a generation or two of people have worked out that you don't have to bottle up all the sad emotions and turn them into anger in order to be a functional member of society. Again, comments like "grow a pair", "get a thicker skin" put the blame 100% on the insulted and take no responsibility for being a dick. Don't be a dick and fewer people get insulted.

I stand by my early comments that this forum is far from hateful, or abusive, or violent. That doesn't mean that certain people couldn't find nicer ways to express themselves, but I don't think there really needs to be an overhaul of the overall attitude. And I have seen some of the gruffer members of the old guard get called on it when they go a little too far. As someone said earlier, rather than being the first to answer with some heavy snark, why not let some of the newer, but still more knowledgeable members take up the slack?
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Stonecutter wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:03 pm My frustration with censorship and altruistic virtue signaling is that the very people who complain about the atmosphere and “good old boys club” end up becoming that very thing. As far as nasty comments go the most flagrant obscenities seem to come from the people who are bitchin’ about being disrespected.
This has been my observation as well. I can't think of any regular member being anything but ,,,let's say "direct".
Also, as mentioned everytime we get into one of these group therapy sessions, it also gets mentioned that without real personal interaction it can be difficult to interpret the tone of a post without the benefit of seeing facial expression and the sound of voice.

Then there are colloquialisms that get misinterpreted. Take goose for example. Everytime he drops a pearl someone not used to his manner of speaking gets offended because don't understand he is a man of very few words and most of those words are definitely words from a different place and time. Happens almost everytime.
Bet he knows more about driving an outfit with an open flame than anyone here (and there), but a fresh, snot nosed feller would rather be offended because goose didn't say "pardon my direct answer that you didn't understand" with a smiley face attached.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

Speaking for myself, all I can say is...yall should appreciate this site for the great source of information that it is. I learned the old way. I basically "apprenticed" under older folks that expected you to learn something the first time you seen it. A sparky answer to a question thats been asked a million times before...is a lot better than some of the ways I learned how to run a pot. Hell, I'm still learning things every day. Lord knows I ain't the brightest bulb in the box, but I can read something, think about it, reread it, as many times as needed, until I get it.
So, thank yall, for this great site. If something bothers you...don't spend your time reading it. Read something else.
JMHO
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Right on the money SF
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

I must agree with SassyFrass. When I came here a few years ago I did not expect to be shown and told what to do I was expected to read and learn. I think quite a few newcomers are buying expensive stills with no knowledge of how to work it and when someone tells them to read and to learn and not just give them the ABC's on what to do they get a little miffed. In this hobby it is essential to learn from the ground up and not jump in head over heels with a big rig and expect someone else to tell you how to run it because you are a beginner. We are all here to learn the processes not be told what to do, you will never be self sufficient that way. I guarantee everyone here has screwed up more than once but I promise they will remember it and learn from it. We don't start out making perfect stuff we learn how to do it. There are folks here that have answered the same question hundreds of times but yet someone always gets their pants in a ruffle when they are told to read and find the answer. Start simple and build a solid base then move up from there. Just my thoughts.
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

There is NO such thing as a stupid question, until you ask it the second time!
(A phrase i use on my highly paid staff when they ask an already answered question again)
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
Wyododge
Bootlegger

Post by Wyododge »

OtisT wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:10 pm Just a few rough thought on this topic:

Censorship:
I vote yes to censorship of most non-distilling subjects. I’m so glad the mods keep the political/racial/religious shit off of this site. I don’t agree with you and you don’t agree with me. Now let’s have a drink together and have a good time.

Otis
Need more of that in this world sir.

I haven’t read or learned enough yet to even ask a question, let alone get appropriately bashed for asking it.
It seems that discussions about alcohol percentage out of your still are remarkably similar to the MPG of your truck.
CopperFiend
Swill Maker

Post by CopperFiend »

Wyododge wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:14 pm
I haven’t read or learned enough yet to even ask a question, let alone get appropriately bashed for asking it.
I love that sentiment 😃
Ridgeback816
Novice

Post by Ridgeback816 »

I read a lot I post very little so here is my 2 cents

1 there are stupid questions don't be lazy do the research if you read enough you will find 90 percent of all answers

2 there is so much great information here if you use it properly you will be enjoying terrific things I am currently enjoying my education on ice currently

3 if you have done all the required reading you should have already have a good feel for the forum and btw it's not your sandbox your playing in

4 I can not get my feelings hurt with a sledgehammer if I do something stupid I want someone to say hay stupid that's wrong here's why

This is not my forum but I hope it doesn't change at all seeing I have learned so very much this place and I know I would not have made the leap into distilling without this site so please don't stop sharing info and if you change things I will invite you all over for a drink in hopes to learn 10 percent of the knowledge here