General atmosphere of forum

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: General atmosphere of forum

Post by bluc »

Being grumbled at from time to time by folks with more experience may just stop you from doing something dangerously dumb...
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

The thing these threads often seem to miss is that the people complaining are also responsible for this collective. There is a good ol boy posting in this thread who IMO has a tendency to be brief and concise to the point of harshness. More than once I've seen it happen, and just posted up some background or supporting argument in the hopes that the otherwise good advice isn't skipped simply for it's brevity and lack of compelling argument. Problem solved. There is another good ol boy posting in this thread who IMO has a tendency to be opinionated to the point of condescension. More than once I've seen it happen and posted up either a dry factual contrast to the strong opinion or some cheery sunshine unicorn fart to dispel the negativity. Problem solved. There is a good ol boy posting in this thread who I don't really have a good read on other than unlike the previously mentioned good ol boys I suspect I just wouldn't like this one personally in real life. Usually I just don't read their posts. When I do I'm careful to proof read my responses to them based on the fact that I nobody cares if I dislike them. Usually after composing a response and letting sit while I read another thread I end up just deleting the message unposted and moving on. Problem solved.

For my part I'm a good ol boy who can be neurotically argumentative, viciously pedantic, and am a true believer in the religious cult of technical specificity so I'm existentially threatened by those who value art, tradition, whim or intuition. I also have a strong tendency toward mansplaining and straw manning. I'm sure folks have developed a variety of ways to nudge me into my best light. Or they ignore me and move on. Problem solved.

Be the change you want to see, nobody can do it better than you.
IMALOSERSCUMBAG
Swill Maker

Post by IMALOSERSCUMBAG »

NormandieStill wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:19 pm I've been using internet forums since the days of Usenet
I think that's where I started but my inner circle of nerds called it the BBS. Not sure if it was the same but that was early 90's.
Wyododge
Bootlegger

Post by Wyododge »

Well said Zapata. I’ve had the pleasure of working all over the world with all sorts of folks. So maybe I have a bit of advantage in this. (If you receive a smile from a Scotsman, chances are you deserve it) Because of my status on this particular forum ( newbie sludge) I tend to delete 90% of the replies I write up as well. This, in my instance, it s probably not a bad thing. I have a response to a thread I initiated two days ago that I still haven’t posted. Not for fear of anything per se, but out of respect for those who chose to reply and help me out. That and I’d prefer to not prove idiocy by opening my mouth…

On edit: my perspective comes from working in an industry where if you mess up, people get dead. If you don’t mess up, people can still get dead. If you think you know what your doing and teach people wrong they can get dead. And, for some reason it seems that people who do stupid stuff watch other people die (or get severely hurt). As far as I’m concerned feel free to bitchslap the shizznit outta me if I say, propose, think or appear to be doing something stupid.
It seems that discussions about alcohol percentage out of your still are remarkably similar to the MPG of your truck.
Acrylic
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Acrylic »

My 2 cents - thank you Saltbush Bill, Zed255, Geoff, NZchris, Chauncey, LWTCS, Cranky, acfixer69 and my apologies if I left anyone out in regards to responding in a thread to my lack of truthful knowledge regarding methanol.
In response to the OP of this thread I will say lighten up, and that's it. If these members hadn't chided me and pushed me towards the direction I needed I would still be believing a certain youtube personality (whom continues to remain nameless). Getting knocked about is part of the process and I grew up with this from the get go. It isn't abuse, it's the school of hard knocks. I, for one, wouldn't change a thing.
Good judgement comes from experience... And experience? Well, that comes from poor judgement
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Thank you sir may I have another - Please!!!
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:13 am
Thank you sir may I have another - Please!!!
Yeah, I've had a coupla drams, but I haven't laughed that hard in a looooong time! :mrgreen:
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

signal-noise-ratio.jpeg
A picture is worth at least a couple words?
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
drmiller100
Rumrunner

Post by drmiller100 »

Howdy,
12 years ago this site was really bad. Some really great people were run off.
6 years ago same thing.

The site now is a lot friendlier but still tough.

There are for sure one true ways of doing things.

The folks running this forum today like the way things are done.

I posted some and was rudely shut down. I reached out to some mods to understand the unwritten rules and was ignored. Further my dms were forwarded to others for offline discussion.

Ok.

I'll stick to my passion. (Fuel) and mostly stay in a small corner until I find a better place.

For the mods, a question.

How would you welcome someone new to the site who was really good and thought about things a little differently?

I appreciate all you volunteers who keep this site going.
Doug
Now I know how you claim azeo so easy, it's based on a meat thermometer. :lol:
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Since your passion is fuel and you are here there must be a reason for that. We are a spirit forum and added the fuel for folks who are interested in that for what ever reasons they may have. We have the RULES and if followed all is welcomed and helped. You asked "How would you welcome someone new to the site who was really good and thought about things a little differently?" What is meant by really good? As for thinking differently, all of us have different thoughts. Or rules are what we make our decisions on. Fuel and drink have very different results and different rules. We are a Spirit making site so we use safety for consumption rules and attitude of this place is where you are standing.
drmiller100
Rumrunner

Post by drmiller100 »

acfixer69 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:26 pm Since your passion is fuel and you are here there must be a reason for that. We are a spirit forum and added the fuel for folks who are interested in that for what ever reasons they may have. We have the RULES and if followed all is welcomed and helped. You asked "How would you welcome someone new to the site who was really good and thought about things a little differently?" What is meant by really good? As for thinking differently, all of us have different thoughts. Or rules are what we make our decisions on. Fuel and drink have very different results and different rules. We are a Spirit making site so we use safety for consumption rules and attitude of this place is where you are standing.
Fair enough. I'm here because it is the best site I've found in 15 years.
I try to follow the RULES here.

Perhaps no one can be really good unless they are a mod on this site for many years.

Your site. Your rules. I just want to understand them so I can follow them
Now I know how you claim azeo so easy, it's based on a meat thermometer. :lol:
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

drmiller100 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:50 pm

Perhaps no one can be really good unless they are a mod on this site for many years.

Your site. Your rules. I just want to understand them so I can follow them
Not sure what you are saying. I think that I'm good here and I'm not a mod, I just try to follow the rules.

Stay safe
OVZ
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I only worry about trying to separate the grain from the chaff.
Folks should be too busy digging rabbit holes, to look up and pay attention to the general atmosphere. :lol: :ewink:
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

shadylane wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:34 pm I only worry about trying to separate the grain from the chaff.
Folks should be too busy digging rabbit holes, to look up and pay attention to the general atmosphere. :lol: :ewink:
Them's my thoughts too, Shady. :thumbup:

Forums and Youtube are great places for getting directions for research, but expecting that advice from them is always on the money is a bit foolish. Since joining, I've been pointed in the right direction by many current, passed on and banned, posters, but it's always been up to me to verify by research and/or experimentation, that what they say is correct. Their advice hasn't always been correct or optimal. I know I've posted opinions here that I've moved on from, so don't take anything I've posted as Gospel Truth without checking first.
MereCashmere
Novice

Post by MereCashmere »

Tater wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:52 pm
SeeSeeVeeEmm wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:19 am
Tater wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:35 am
SeeSeeVeeEmm wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:48 am

Looks like you can’t detect sarcasm on the internet bud.

Also, you’re delusional if you think banned members don’t make alt accounts, or that some members have multiples.
few might get by .we have our ways checking .there been few Ive banned several times . takes me about 30 seconds to ban someone .However onec ip blocked as well as email and name takes poster longer to get back on . one thing that doesnt change over time is way ya type /talk .theres software that picks up on that bud.
Hey, sorry bud I’m an old fogie and I just call it like I see it, and your “hacker” software isn’t working one bit! I’ve seen members admit to having banned accounts and alts and still posting today.
But ya got caught this time waterbelly .
I don’t think I did though :clap:

I’ll see you soon under another alternate username!
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Wow. Congratulations… :yawn:
You sure “got one over” on the forum.
A “super” hacker with the ability to create lame ghost accounts (based on some weak ass vendetta no doubt) only to then give yourself up so that you can have a glimmer of attention. I feel bad for the individuals who have nothing better to do. May you find a girlfriend or even a friend who cares more about you than you do about this forum.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

looking to break inglishill's record? inglishill is the most banned troll, and a master of deceit.
be water my friend
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

cob wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:54 pm looking to break inglishill's record? inglishill is the most banned troll, and a master of deceit.
Yes, but is he better that Inspector Clouseau?

Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I had MereCashmere pegged for a troll due to many of the things he said here
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87261
I think it was pretty obvious he was trolling everybody.
Northsouth
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Northsouth »

In my humble view, being new here, this forum has brought me up to speed in record time. Old family members of mine have been distilling for 60 years, but in silence and with little input from others. (Illegal in my country of origin) I can now have conversations with them that it took year, maybe a decade, to figure out themselves.

If I got some very minor "correctional" comments, it has been mainly because I am EXTREMELY impatient, and want to do it NOW, once I got my mind set on something. It is hard for people like us to accept that you have to slow down.

Another thing that makes this forum #1 is the focus on safety. Have read on other forums and groups as well, some in other languages, and there is no comparison.

So I will stay here with the grumpies and try not to be too grumpy myself. Except when drinking and writing, of course, there must be some allowance for that in a forum about boose, no?
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Northsouth wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:16 pm If I got some very minor "correctional" comments, it has been mainly because I am EXTREMELY impatient, and want to do it NOW, once I got my mind set on something. It is hard for people like us to accept that you have to slow down.
+1
-- Rrmuf
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

There has been a markedly improved tone on the forum lately. Far less piling on and more constructive mentoring. More of a safety culture and learning environment.
"What harms us is to persist in self deceit and ignorance"
Marcus Aurelius
I’m not an alcoholic! I’m a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings!
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Dancing4dan wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:24 am There has been a markedly improved tone on the forum lately. Far less piling on and more constructive mentoring. More of a safety culture and learning environment.
To be fair, it's not the forum that has changed. Been around awhile, seen times of placidity, and seen times of chaos, it's very cyclical.

The best I can tell, it is the perception of the forum by new comers that change, not the old bags already here. They don't change their overall tone, only pick a different reaction based on the audience. It's simply that when you first get here you might take offense to the direct, unmatched source of information here, but eventually the purpose sinks in and after that everything seems much more calm to you.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

I wonder if this thread should be in the newcomers lounge?
-- Rrmuf
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

Stonecutter wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:37 pm Wow. Congratulations… :yawn:
A “super” hacker with the ability to create lame ghost accounts (based on some weak ass vendetta no doubt) only to then give yourself up so that you can have a glimmer of attention. I feel bad for the individuals who have nothing better to do. May you find a girlfriend or even a friend who cares more about you than you do about this forum.
Not sure if you were referring to me, the OP, but if so... Kudos. Ya got me! I'm just here to ruffle feathers! Or maybe, could it be, that some of my criticisms were valid? I've PM'd enough folks here that stay quiet and agree with me.

I stand by my original post, but I also appreciate all the feedback. Much of which, defensive, still provided a different perspective and I appreciate the feedback. It's provided a healthy diversity of opinion, some of which made me re-evaluate my original position.... Only to have folks like you come in hot like a highschool sophomore on Andro, insecure and ego driven, only to prove my point.. YOUR POST exemplifies my point. Thank you. But I don't hold it against you.

BTW...I run a successful small business, I'm married with healthy, well behaved children, and I'm set for years to weather the coming collapse. Also, the rum we made is so good, and I detest rum, that I've re-evaluated my appreciation of rum. Lots to be learned here. This thread was a great litmus test
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

cranky wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:16 pm Some of you are being excessively and unnecessarily rude in this thread.

This tends to be an occasional problem and the OP is correct that certain members are given a certain amount of slack before being disciplined.

There is no harm done by being nice to people in your responses, there can be a lot done by unnecessary rudeness.
Thank you for your response. This is exactly my point and I am thankful for a fair response that isn't defensive. To the rest, the internet is weird and based on my experience, we act different in person and I think we wouldn't be at such odds if we lived in the same community.

I strive to be polite. If I offended people or irritated people because I spoke my mind, oh well. We all find different paths to make our journey. As many have said to "put on my big boy pants" or "grow up"... Same message applies like a mirror.
Big River
Novice

Post by Big River »

I really can't comprehend how someone could get offended. I mean there is absolutely nothing anyone could say in a text that would offend me.

I expect differing opinions, that's what makes a discussion. This is a forum to exchange ideas. I do see the general climate in the nation is to vilify anyone who disagrees wh your opinion, but all that mentality shows is lack of maturity.

I work in a very liberal university and I've told my co-workers that I cannot be offended. They in shock cuz they worried about pronouns. I just told them to call me asshole, don't bother me.

Big River
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

RockinRockies wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:26 am
Stonecutter wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:37 pm Wow. Congratulations… :yawn:
Not sure if you were referring to me, the OP, but...
MereCashmere wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:32 pm
Tater wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:52 pm
SeeSeeVeeEmm wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:19 am
Tater wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:35 am few might get by .we have our ways checking .there been few Ive banned several times . takes me about 30 seconds to ban someone .However onec ip blocked as well as email and name takes poster longer to get back on . one thing that doesnt change over time is way ya type /talk .theres software that picks up on that bud.
Hey, sorry bud I’m an old fogie and I just call it like I see it, and your “hacker” software isn’t working one bit! I’ve seen members admit to having banned accounts and alts and still posting today.
But ya got caught this time waterbelly .
I don’t think I did though :clap:

I’ll see you soon under another alternate username!
It's not about you. It is your thread. But .....
be water my friend
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Good looking out Cob :silent:
Thanks
-Thomas Paine
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

RockinRockis wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:44 am
cranky wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:16 pm Some of you are being excessively and unnecessarily rude in this thread.

This tends to be an occasional problem and the OP is correct that certain members are given a certain amount of slack before being disciplined.

There is no harm done by being nice to people in your responses, there can be a lot done by unnecessary rudeness.
Thank you for your response. This is exactly my point and I am thankful for a fair response that isn't defensive. To the rest, the internet is weird and based on my experience, we act different in person and I think we wouldn't be at such odds if we lived in the same community.

I strive to be polite. If I offended people or irritated people because I spoke my mind, oh well. We all find different paths to make our journey. As many have said to "put on my big boy pants" or "grow up"... Same message applies like a mirror.
It's time to put this thread to bed
Getting old fast
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed