recipe for pie

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MountedGoat
Swill Maker

recipe for pie

Post by MountedGoat »

Do any of you Kiwis have a recipe for mince pie filling? I love pies, though can't get the filling right.
water + sugar + yeast = wine

water + flour + yeast = bread

wine + bread = two things I can make at home
punkin
Master of Distillation

Re: recipe for pie

Post by punkin »

Didn't know the New Zealanders even ate pies.

There ya go, ain't nuthin they won't pinch from the Auzzies.
MountedGoat
Swill Maker

Post by MountedGoat »

Hah! Then how bout you Ozzies?

jdonly1
Swill Maker

Post by jdonly1 »

I got a lot of chicken and seafood pie recipe's and a few vegie ones :wink:
Can help you with some of them if needed or even a braised steak and onion pie recipe :mrgreen:
Cheers JD
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Pies are my specialty, whenever the grandkids come to stay that's one of their first meal requests. I usually let em suggest the theme and help with the prep.
Have done just about everthing under the sun from Vegemite Pork Pie to Coca Cola Chicken Pie, Even did a hawain once (ham and pineapple) :mrgreen:

I don't use mince in a pie, it's better with small cubes of meat. It's a good tip to use two different meats in your recipe, even if it's just some chopped bacon, but chicken and pork, or lamb and beef are all good. I usually just make pies wiith leftovers.
Leftover roasts, curries, chops or sausages all make good pie.

#1 ingredient is good, homemade stock. I make stock and freeze it in chinese containers to use when i want. Use it in all sortsa stuff.

Just cube your meat, toss it in seasoned flour and partly fry it in some canola oil till it's brown on the outside with some bacon and chopped onions. Add some stock and some vegies all chopped to the same size, do your herbs and spices thing (always include some lemon or lime juice and a touch of chillies plus lots of cracked pepper).
Do your theme stuff (if it's a curry you'd add powder or paste with the meat, same if it was a chilli pie), the kids love Cola pie so i add some of the syrup for the home soda machines if i'm doing that.
Themes could be any of the classic combos; lamb and mint, pork and apples, beef and beer, chicken and curry ect
I like to add fruit, mostly some dried fruit or maybe chopped apple, some sweetness, heat, saltiness and sourness all make a balance. Cream once it's cooked or coconut cream if it's a curry. Nuts if ya like em and some home preserved lime peel.
Thicken with cornflour slurry if the plain flour didn't thicken enough.
Add some almost cooked small pasta like bow ties, spirals ect or cooked cubed potatoes to bulk it up.
Place in defrosted bought puff pastry and put a puff pastry lid on, brush with beaten egg/milk and place in a 180/350 oven till it's brown.

Not much too it, and i'm sorry bout not being able to give a recipe, but it's just a yummy pastry container for a stew basicly :wink: 8)

Some people use mash potatoe for a top crust.
BW Redneck
Trainee

Post by BW Redneck »

punkin wrote:Didn't know the New Zealanders even ate pies.

I thought pies were Dutch? :|
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance... baffle them with bullshit."
"Don't steal. The government hates competition."
"Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see"

20lt small pot still, working on keg
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

enzedders will pinch from anyone, but we love 'em anyway. :lol: :lol:

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
big worm
Trainee

Post by big worm »

just so you guy will konw, pies are an american thing.......al gore invented it just before the internet.
GOT BAIT?
small children left unatended will be sold as bait
LeftLaneCruiser
Swill Maker

Post by LeftLaneCruiser »

BW Redneck wrote:
punkin wrote:Didn't know the New Zealanders even ate pies.

I thought pies were Dutch? :|
Sorry BW, but the kind of pies you're talking about (filled with meat of some kind and eaten for a meal) we are not accostumed to in the Netherlands. I believe they're more a British / English dish. (would also explain why it's popular down under; after all they are leftover Englishmen... :P )

However, we do have fruitpies as a kind of pastry. Our southern province Limburg is famous for it.

KJH
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

The mince that I know of has no meat it comes from Scotland has apple ,raisins, currants, spices,orange peel etc
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

HOME MADE MINCE MEAT FOR PIE

1 peck green tomatoes (32 c.)
1 peck apples (32 c.)
5 lbs. brown sugar
1 lb. white sugar
1 lb. currants
1 lb. raisins
2 tbsp. cinnamon
1 tbsp. cloves
1 tbsp. salt
1 tsp. ginger
1 c. suet, ground
1 1/2 c. vinegar

Cut up green tomatoes and grind in coarse grinder. Put in cold water with the salt, let come to boil, drain, do this 3 times. Peel and core apples; coarse grind. Mix tomatoes and apples with rest of ingredients and boil for 1 hour. Watch carefully as to not burn. Can in jars and seal. This is very rich. When making a pie, use about half mince meat and equal amounts of raw apples. This mince meat can be frozen rather than canned.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

You'd go broke if you opened a pie shop here and that's all ya sold, Dunder.

Pommies have these tiny little cold pork pies, and they do sheperds pie (which is the one with the mashed potatoe top.

But the meat pie is as Australian as the dropbear.

It's one of our national dishes (i think it ranks second behind toast) and any trueblue aussies eat their own weight in pies every week.
Attachments
meatpie.gif
meatpie.gif (57.93 KiB) Viewed 2809 times
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

there is no meat in mince meat!!!!
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Dnderhead wrote:there is no meat in mince meat!!!!

Bloody none in your recipe anyway. :roll:
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

I think the mince meat here is equivalent to your ground beef Dunder, I may be wrong though.
It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
jdonly1
Swill Maker

Post by jdonly1 »

Hey pumpkin,we should have a bake off :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I won best seafood pie in Australia a few years ago and have a shit load off other award for my pies :wink: I owned a bakery for 10 years and been baking for over 20 years :wink:
MountedGoat
Swill Maker

Post by MountedGoat »

Yeah Dunder, mince is their hamburger/ground beef. Essentially I am asking for their pot pie recipe. Difference being that our pot pies are like a thick creamy chicken stew with peas and carrots and whathaveyou. When I traveled through NZ and Oz I took to like a fish to water and ate at least a pie a stop in the car. Practically lived on them. Great after a night out.

The "recipe" that I am looking for was really widespread. Like a dark brown corn starch thickened filling that had finely chopped lamb and beef in it. That was always the base, then the options were with cheese, chicken, onions and more exotic from there. Remember having a rather disgusting possum pie. I don't advise it.

So I have gotten a decent version of it together in the past, though I am looking for "moms" recipe or something like that. I like what you gave Punkin. JD, if you have something too that would be great. I love to cook and make my own pie crust, this is like a comfort food sort of thing for me.

Here's the recipe I used before:

1/2 ground beef
1/2 small onion
1 clove garlic
salt and pepper
Cornstarch slurry

Saute the beef in a little oil and throw in the onion and garlic. Salt and pepper it up good. Once all is browned add 2 cups of water and cornstarch slurry to thicken. Cook one more minute and then cool enough to fill pie crust lined muffin tin. Top with more pie crust. Into a 350 oven till brown on top. Take out and enjoy!

punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Never had a pie with garlic in it (not from a shop anyway, mine often do) but if you want to increase the flavourr of your pie, replace the water content with good stock.
As far as pastry goes, shortcrust is good for a bottom shell, but puff pastry far outshines it for a top.

If i was to start from scratch to make a good pie like a bakery pie, it would be;

1 part pork mince
2 parts beef mince.

fry mince till brown with a small amount of fine chopped onion.

Add a small amount of tomatoe paste, stir in some Worcestirshire sauce or lancashire relish, lots of cracked pepper, and enough chicken or beef stock to do a slow boil for 10 mins.

There should be still some liquid left when it's cooked through, so use a tablespoon of cornflour mixed with 3 tablespoons of water, and pour ir in slowly while stirring on the heat till it thickens fairly thick.
Let cool and place into small pie shells with puff pastry, do not overfill, then top with puff and brush with egg and milk.

JD, i couldn't compete with a professional tradesman in any thing i do, im just too sloppy :oops:

You could give MG a basic meat pie recipe though :wink:

SaveMeStumblingThroughItPunkin
NEB
Novice

Post by NEB »

Heres my version with potato & carrot

And home brewed cider to wash it down. :D
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on!
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

Mincemeat is a mixture of chopped dried fruit, distilled spirits and spices, and sometimes beef suet, beef, or venison[citation needed]. Originally, mincemeat always contained meat. Many modern recipes contain beef suet, though vegetable shortening is sometimes used in its place. Mincemeat, and similar variants are found in the UK, Ireland, Brittany, northern Europe, as well as the United States and Canada. It should not be confused with minced or ground meat.
MountedGoat
Swill Maker

Post by MountedGoat »

well shoot. That looks nice, though is a little thicker than I remember.

How thick you make it Punkin, JD, Coops and Blanik?

punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

MountedGoat wrote:well shoot. That looks nice, though is a little thicker than I remember.

Not like that. I reckon that photo was taken when it was cold, and woulda flowed a lot better when it was hot.

Just a thick stew consistecy, so it ooozes out of a pie that is to be eaten on a plate. Much thicker if it's to be taken on a picnic or something i spose, you want something that's not gunna all fall out of the pastry if you want to pick it up.

Just make a good chicken curry and stick it in some pastry if you wanna impress the wife and kids.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

REAL ENGLISH SHEPHERDS PIE!

1 onion, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 lb. lamb, minced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 large carrot, diced
1 beef stock cube
1 lb. chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon corn flour
3 tablespoons tomato puree
pinch of salt and pepper
2 lb. potatoes
1 stick butter
This is how to make a real English shepherds pie, made with lamb. If made with beef, it would be known as cottage pie.
Firstly, heat the olive oil in a pan, add the onion, garlic and carrot and cook until soft. Add minced lamb and stock cube, then cook until the mince is brown and shows a crumbly texture. Stir in the tomatoes and tomato puree, and add the corn flour. Leave to simmer, stirring occasionally, for about fifteen minutes, or until thickened.

Meanwhile, peel and chop potatoes and boil until soft, then mash them with the butter and salt and pepper to taste.

Put the filling into a deep dish, then top with the mashed potatoes and put under a warm grill (broiler) until the top is brown and crisp.

Delicious topped with melted cheese. Enjoy!

This is how to make a real English shepherds pie, made with lamb. If made with beef, it would be known as cottage pie.
Last edited by Dnderhead on Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Dnderhead wrote:REAL ENGLISH SHEPHERDS PIE!

1 onion, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 lb. lamb, minced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 large carrot, diced
1 beef stock cube
1 lb. chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon corn flour
3 tablespoons tomato puree
pinch of salt and pepper
2 lb. potatoes
1 stick butter

That's not how to make it, just a list of ingredients :roll:
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

OK did a edit ,,,,Some use a crust and some do not depending on your taste.
there are many variants. but a meat and vegetables pie is a shepherd's pie. a pie made with dried fruit,berries ,spices and maybe a small amount of meat is mince meat (for the fat content not all had butter). mince meat was a pore mans pie and a way of preserving. usually served at Christmas and
special occasions. dried fruit ,berries etc whould be mixed up in a jar placed in cool spring for several weeks until soaked up.
jdonly1
Swill Maker

Post by jdonly1 »

MountedGoat wrote:well shoot. That looks nice, though is a little thicker than I remember.

Like pumkin said :wink: that one in the pic looks like a a cake or a pastie,a good pie should be thick enough not to run all over your clothes when eating it but not like a block of jelly
decoy
Rumrunner

Post by decoy »

Punkin said:
Some people use mash potatoe for a top crust.
Hmm dont forget the mushed peas.. punkin...

I rip off the pastry top of the pie and put a good scoop of mushed up peas in butter and a heap of nice mashed pottato..
the peas i microwave with a scoop of butter for 2-3 min then mush em up with a fork.

after reading some of punkins recepie sugestions my mouth is watering....

and as far as dunderheads pie recipie goes i am realy curious as to what a meat and fruit pie will taste like with all that suggar
1 peck green tomatoes (32 c.)
1 peck apples (32 c.)
5 lbs. brown sugar
1 lb. white sugar
1 lb. currants
1 lb. raisins
2 tbsp. cinnamon
1 tbsp. cloves
1 tbsp. salt
1 tsp. ginger
1 c. suet, ground
1 1/2 c. vinegar

Cut up green tomatoes and grind in coarse grinder. Put in cold water with the salt, let come to boil, drain, do this 3 times. Peel and core apples; coarse grind. Mix tomatoes and apples with rest of ingredients and boil for 1 hour. Watch carefully as to not burn. Can in jars and seal. This is very rich. When making a pie, use about half mince meat and equal amounts of raw apples. This mince meat can be frozen rather than canned.
:shock:
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

We actually have pie makers over here that come with recipes. The pie maker doesn't do justice to the crust but the filling are pretty good.

Here is some more info for the peeps not following;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_meat_pie
Attachments
Aussie meat pie.jpg
Aussie meat pie.jpg (69.88 KiB) Viewed 2765 times
It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

as I said most are making shepherds pie (a meat pie) in a mince meat pie the meat/fat is only added for the fat content much like
you whould use butter to day. if you mix yours up thiner like a thick "stew" and put in crust and bake, then you have a pot pie.
look it up you will see.
big worm
Trainee

Post by big worm »

yep what dnder says pot pies .....we ate them by the 1000's when we was young. we was so poor we thought pot pies were rich people food...lol i liked the chicken or turkey....beef was always the last to go :lol: :lol:
GOT BAIT?
small children left unatended will be sold as bait