Bourbon Shortages, Amongst Others

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jstroke
Site Donor
Site Donor

Bourbon Shortages, Amongst Others

Post by Jstroke »

I must not get out much. I haven’t been to a likker store in so long I had no idea. Evidently store owners are charging up the wazoo for everyday stuff. It’s like everything else, supply and demand and what the market will tolerate. I guess for folks who like to buy “better” quality spirits it’s kind of like hunting unicorns. I’m not surprised, but I simply had no idea it had come down to that. Kind of made me smile. It is one item I simply take for granted.
If in doubt leave it out.
zapata
Distiller

Re: Bourbon Shortages, Amongst Others

Post by zapata »

It's more hype than anything. Lots of good bourbon still on the shelf, it's just not whatever the facebook taters have decided will complete their beanie baby collection. The only problem is that the finance bros are invested in this bubble and are deep enough to keep it floating for quite a while.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

No bourbon shortage on my cellar shelves but i’m the only one drinking it here except for the odd guest here and there :)

Cheers,
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

I ain't bought/consumed store bought likker in a looong time. I wouldn't know what regular folks are paying for bottled headaches now days. Lol My problem is I store everything back in the hills in glass with tape/sharpie labels and that wears off after awhile. And my taste buds aint refined enuff to tell much beyond, mmm...good and/or oh damn, thats bad. But I can tell white from charred, so there is that. Yall have a great day.
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
BrewinBrian44
Rumrunner

Post by BrewinBrian44 »

I’ve noticed this with Buffalo Trace. Apparently it’s harder to come by in certain states and people will pay a premium for it. Pretty good stuff for the price point. It’s the stuff I always keep in my decanter.

One of my buddies has a brother in law down in Ohio that’s waaay into this whiskey trade thing. He brings a bunch of Buffalo Trace down there every time he visits and comes back with some ultra premium stuff you can’t find here in MI. Weller, Willet, you name it. Pretty wild he gets all this stuff by trading a $30 bottle that’s all over the shelves here.

A lot of this BS is artificial and created by the distilleries.

Hopefully my home made stock gets to the point that I have the variety I like. It took a while since starting this hobby to have some aged stuff to enjoy on a daily basis. I’ve got tons of bottles from different distilleries in my bar, but god damn, none of them hold a candle to my Honey Bear Bourbon that aged in a 5gal Gibbs barrel. I’ve also got some CROW bourbon that tastes pretty awesome at only 6 months of age. Can wait to see where it’s at a year from now.
Jstroke
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jstroke »

Foolishness. I wouldn’t trade you a quart of mine for a case of theirs.
Uncle B
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Uncle B »

BrewinBrian44 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 2:33 pm A lot of this BS is artificial and created by the distilleries.
Not entirely - apparently the drought in the southern plains has decimated the winter wheat harvest. Can't imagine it hasn't affected other crops.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/plains ... 022-03-14/

--B
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

I was prowlin’ around under the counters today and came across an unopened bottle of rum(?) from a local. I’d bought it at a charity auction a few years back, to benefit school children. My, my. If education were a fine thing and I was a teacher, I’d school them children to never spend their hard earned dollars on such. But charity and education are fine things, so I’ll just mind my tongue.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Uncle B wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:49 pm

Not entirely - apparently the drought in the southern plains has decimated the winter wheat harvest. Can't imagine it hasn't affected other crops.
But that's a problem a few years off given the aging requirements for bourbon.

For me I'm just sipping some of my honey bear bourbon :D

Stay safe
OVZ
Uncle B
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Uncle B »

Oldvine Zin wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:32 am
But that's a problem a few years off given the aging requirements for bourbon.
True, though that region's had drought issues for about ten years.

But that said, price increases and scarcity are probably more the result of supply chain issues. I walked into my local liquor store a few months back and the American whiskey section was bare - they just hadn't received a shipment in a while.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

There is an ongoing glass shortage that is related to the current supply-chain issues. Plenty of whiskey in barrels but no bottles to put it in. This will pass.

The larger concern is lumber shortage and demand for barrels outstripping supply.
whiskymonster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by whiskymonster »

Pub trade in the uk here.

Premium stuff seems to have dried up. No overly increased prices, but my suppliers cant get me a bottle of buffalo trace or makers for love nor money. Im down to my last couple of bottles of sazerac!

I can get as much jim beam at 13 quid before VAT as i like and i take 60 bottles of jack every week but anything interesting is just out of stock.

Obviously there was supply issues everywhere because of the plague, but that should be pretty much done with by now. Pubs are getting back to pre bullshit trade again, and i cant get an interesting bottle of rum or bourbon to sell. Jack daniels, bacardi and cheap vodka are flying out because that's all any bugger can get.

Other landlord across the country are complaining of the same. No problems getting stock as long as you only want boring stock.

Diageo and bacardi brown foreman must be rubbing their hands with glee.
It's much easier to cut a bit off than weld a bit on...
Shine_Dad
Novice

Post by Shine_Dad »

I hear the issues in Ukraine are going to impact wheat... and that they were producing like a 1/3rd of the worlds wheat and that we're going to 'run out' in a matter of a few weeks if we don't work to solve this issue like we're working to solve the baby formula issue.

You would think we would have basic sh*t like this figured out by now in the US.
RC Al
Swill Maker

Post by RC Al »

Funny cause before our recent lot of crap weather here in oz, farmers here were dumping large qtys of wheat n other grain, bet its a different story now with the amount of crop damage around.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Shine_Dad wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:06 pm I hear the issues in Ukraine are going to impact wheat... and that they were producing like a 1/3rd of the worlds wheat and that we're going to 'run out' in a matter of a few weeks if we don't work to solve this issue like we're working to solve the baby formula issue.
I'm not sure how the shortage of wheat from Ukraine is gonna directly affect the 'local' wheat grown in Oregon, but the organic soft white wheat from my single malt experiment a year ago was $27 for a 50lb sack then. Its $38 now.

I called to get a 5gal Barrel Mill barrel last month and was told they're sold out til (at least) the end of the year and put on a waiting list.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Jstroke
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jstroke »

Twisted Brick wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:25 pm
I called to get a 5gal Barrel Mill barrel last month and was told they're sold out til (at least) the end of the year and put on a waiting list.
That’s not good math. Storage might become a problem then. Sounds like lots of people have a new hobby which is good to see. I guess Bad Mo might need to crank it up. Also good to see.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

I think a number of commercial distilleries are buying the 5gal barrels by the pallet and my best shot at getting one is if an order gets canceled.

In the meantime, I ordered enough blanks from BadMo to make 3 barrels.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Jstroke wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:56 pm
Twisted Brick wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:25 pm
That’s not good math. Storage might become a problem then. Sounds like lots of people have a new hobby which is good to see. I guess Bad Mo might need to crank it up. Also good to see.
I suspect hobby may be some but I bet the big factor is craft distilleries. They need to get product out the door so use small barrels to age faster just get the cash flow. If they survive they move to larger barrels as they can wait longer for the cash flow. But in the early years cash flow is the key to making it to later years. And they are buying enough for hundreds or thousands of gallons year, not the 10 to 20 a hobbyist might do.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

subbrew wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:41 am
I suspect hobby may be some but I bet the big factor is craft distilleries.
No doubt. The barrel I got was left over (single-fill) from a distillery's whiskey club, but after 13mo's the amount of barrel candy it's imparted to my bourbon has been tremendous.

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Post by SmokyMtn »

Pappy 15 $3,299
Pappy 23 $5,000 held this one in my hand, close as I will ever get to drinking it.
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
BrewinBrian44
Rumrunner

Post by BrewinBrian44 »

Buffalo Trace is no longer easy to find out in Metro Detroit, some of my other favs are also gone as well. I actually found a bottle of Angels Envy Rye out here with was a true stroke of luck. It’s tucked away for special occasions. It’s truly magical.

I also got crazy lucky a few months ago. My local grocery store had two bottles of Eagle rare hanging out on the shelf for the state minimum price, I grabbed them immediately haha.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Lots of factors contributing.
Not to mention the influence of third party sellers operating in the after market space.

My local shop is limiting purchases to try and combat this "scalping" model.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
BrewinBrian44
Rumrunner

Post by BrewinBrian44 »

Yeah I’ve noticed that out here too. The local liquor stores and grocery stores are actually leaving the more sought after stuff behind the counter and you have to ask for it.

One of my favs is Eagle Rare and I’ve usually had to go to a liquor store where they know me to have any luck getting it. These days barely anyone can get it.

The second hand market is crazy. On one hand I’m pro capitalism and less regulation, but on the other hand, it’s made it very difficult to find some of the special bottles. It’s pretty annoying when some dipshit comes into the store and completely wipes out a whole shelf of a certain product with no real intention of drinking it.

One of the cool things out here that a lot of people aren’t aware of, is the customer service area at the local grocery stores. They’ve been known to have bottles of blantons tucked back there are they don’t mark them up above state minimum, you just have to walk up and ask if they have it. I actually scored one not too long ago because I gave them my phone number to text me when they actually got any of the stuff I’m looking for.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Yep.
My local store has my contact info and gives me first right if refusal when the sought after stuff comes in.

Yeah the whole free market thing is fine if all parties operate in good faith.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

LWTCS wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:12 pm Yep.
My local store has my contact info and gives me first right if refusal when the sought after stuff comes in.

Yeah the whole free market thing is fine if all parties operate in good faith.
In my Current drunken logic…

Are we hobbyists not testament to the natural ebb/flow of the free market?
This forum, with its innovation, safety and quality albeit rife with a sort of narcissistic cynicism is the very proof that even the “free market“ (if there ever existed one) has a natural sense of evolution. Once the “big boys” get too big for their britches someone will be there to fill the void…
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

We are the void, for now.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

BrewinBrian44 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:58 am Buffalo Trace is no longer easy to find out in Metro Detroit
they must be shipping it all to Canada. lots here for 38 bux (29.50usd) a bottle. It's my favourite middle shelf bourbon, i like it better than eagle rare and it's wayyyy better than headsy blanton's
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

HDNB wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:16 pm they must be shipping it all to Canada. lots here for 38 bux (29.50usd) a bottle. It's my favourite middle shelf bourbon, i like it better than eagle rare and it's wayyyy better than headsy blanton's
Its sold outside the US at 80 proof (and 700ml in my market), so I've ignored it. The pandemic has seen some travel retail bottlings enter the retail market and I managed to find one. 1L and at 90 proof. :clap:
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

My local pub had run out of it's two most popular pre-mixed bourbons tonight. They have been told that, because of a bourbon shortage, they won't be getting any until September. It might just be a shipping problem, but there has been a couple of large rickhouse losses in recent years that could be contributing to the issue.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

Those loses are a blip. Not nearly enough to interrupt supply.

Those premixed products are made down here from tote-whiskey that is shipped here at higher proof and mixed with domestic cola etc and water. They have to use shipping, unlike most of the bottles I buy which are flown here.