Copper Mine

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Copper Mine

Post by Bushman »

Today while on vacation in Norway I toured a Copper Mine that is now a museum from the 1700’s. The mine is called Rorosmuseet Copper Mine. Interesting town but would loved to have seen a demonstration
A65C2412-6E92-4D22-AB68-2E74B1A1F0DE.jpeg
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: Copper Mine

Post by Yummyrum »

Cool stuff Bushy . So is that building what remains of the 1700’s copper mine ?
Shine_Dad
Novice

Post by Shine_Dad »

Yeah that's awesome! Would love to be able to check out a place like that.
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Archee72 »

Right next to a pristine creek, imagine getting the resource consents to put any mine next to that these days? 🤞🧐
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Yummyrum wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:17 am Cool stuff Bushy . So is that building what remains of the 1700’s copper mine ?
Yes, the rocks you see outside are slag from the process.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Archee72 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:45 pm Right next to a pristine creek, imagine getting the resource consents to put any mine next to that these days? 🤞🧐
:thumbup:
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Toxic stuff.

The Berkeley Pit is a former open pit copper mine in the western United States, located in Butte, Montana. It is one mile (1.6 km) long by one-half mile (800 m) wide, with an approximate depth of 1,780 feet (540 m). It is filled to a depth of about 900 feet (270 m) with water that is heavily acidic (2.5 pH level), about the acidity of Coca-Cola, lemon juice,[1] or gastric acid. As a result, the pit is laden with heavy metals and dangerous chemicals that leach from the rock, including copper, arsenic, cadmium, zinc, and sulfuric acid.[1]
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
montanan_hippie_man
Novice

Post by montanan_hippie_man »

LWTCS wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:37 pm Toxic stuff.

The Berkeley Pit is a former open pit copper mine in the western United States, located in Butte, Montana. It is one mile (1.6 km) long by one-half mile (800 m) wide, with an approximate depth of 1,780 feet (540 m). It is filled to a depth of about 900 feet (270 m) with water that is heavily acidic (2.5 pH level), about the acidity of Coca-Cola, lemon juice,[1] or gastric acid. As a result, the pit is laden with heavy metals and dangerous chemicals that leach from the rock, including copper, arsenic, cadmium, zinc, and sulfuric acid.[1]
The Berkeley is a pretty cool but very very toxic place. Few years ago (maybe 7-10years) during the geese migration they stopped at the pit and never flew out. Killed the whole entire flock (thousands) so now the use speaker phones and high frequncy sounds to keep the birds away. but that place is really cool to check out along with all the mines and history. (if your into that kind of stuff)