Screw Plug Immersion Heater

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bushido
Swill Maker

Screw Plug Immersion Heater

Post by bushido »

Doing a build for mon ami. He is working indoors, so it is going to be electric.
Only one small problem. I have always prefered propane, so I have no experience here.
I am going to buy the element from one of these two companies:

hXXp://www.asbheat.com/screw_plug_immersion_heater.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
or
hXXp://www.wattco.com/screwplug-heaters.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Could someone with experience with electric heating of a SS Keg take a look at these elements and give me a recommendation.
Don't care if it is 110 or 220. If the thermostat controlled means I do not need an additional controller, that would be perfect.

Thanks guys, I know this is a pain for you, but very much appreciated
Hawke
retired

Re: Screw Plug Immersion Heater

Post by Hawke »

Your links don't work. You need to replace the hXXp: with http:.
Both those sites sell industrial elements, way overkill for our purposes.
A simple water heater element is all that is needed. Thermostats cycle on/off, this is not good. You need constant heat, therefore, a voltage controller is needed. (Or an element sized for the run phase and a long heatup time)
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
bushido
Swill Maker

Post by bushido »

I didn't know if we could hot link or not Hawke, that is why I XX'ed out the TT's. Some sites frown on hot linking. Couldn't remember the policy here so I was playing safe. So I have to build a controller or just wire it direct with a 220 on/off switch?
I'll do some reading then I guess, or just opt out of the build.
Isn't a water heating element iron coated?
bushido
Swill Maker

Post by bushido »

O.K. New question.
Apparently, I can put in a 4500 w element, and just buy a dimmer rated for 5000 w, wire it together and it is good to go. Is this correct? I do not have to wire in resistors and triacs etc?
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

In theory yes. Although, large dimmers get very expensive.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
bushido
Swill Maker

Post by bushido »

O.K.
Thanks alot Hawke. I appreciate your taking the time to answer something that's probably been banged around alot already.
The money I don't care about, but my time is very scarce right now. I would prefere to pay (especially since the bill is being footed) than to spend the time shopping for parts and having to construct elements that I do not really have to.
Take care and have a good night.
bushido
Swill Maker

Post by bushido »

Just in case this helps anyone else.
Asked our electrician by e-mail...

"I want to hook up a 4500 or 5000 W hot water heating element to 220V, and I want to be able to control the temp, but I don't want it to cycle on and off.
Can I just hook it up to a 5000W dimmer switch."

His reply...

"You need to use a DPST rheostat. You will just burn out a dimmer."

As you can see, he is a man of few words :lol:

Bought one today at an electric motor wholesalers for $42, tax inc.
Adverse Effects
Swill Maker

Post by Adverse Effects »

CLICK the pic

CLICK the pic
Some people say its "FREE" but i say "there ant no free lunch" you get what you pay/work for
help those that help them self first
25Lt old school SS keg as a pot with a prototype Ponu still head