iStill NextGen

Place for craft/micro distillers in all stages of build to show and share.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Re: iStill NextGen

Postby Odin » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:01 pm

Thank you! Looking forward to doing business with you, Sir.

Here is a link to a set of pictures of our last class / workshop in Madison. 14 participants. At Two Tall Distilling. We made rye whiskey and gin and vodka, and did multiple extracts. An amazing day and a half!

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN ... FCSHNGN21n

Next class will be in Napa Valley in March. From March 19th till 22nd.

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Odin » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:24 am

Here's another innovation we are putting on the market as of right now. iStill WiFi.

We designed a new WiFi module for our units. It can be ordered on new ones or retrofitted on old ones. It allows for wireless connection to the unit. For remote control, monitoring, and operation.

Two pictures. The first one shows the new module. The other one shows me doing a 2000 liter finishing run on a single malt whisky via my iPhone 7s.

Regards, Odin.
Attachments
IMG_5051.JPG
Image-1.jpg
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby cede » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:53 pm

I saw your first iStill on youtube and I left stilling for a moment, too much things happening in life, and I'm just back and saw your big momma :)
Jeez ! That's a still !
Happy to see that everything's going fine.
I read a few articles of your blog: you write too much and distill not enough :mrgreen:

If i understand well, it's a LM still.
I saw a few pictures of the controller, and because I work into that, I feel I must ask: why don't you develop your own controller ?
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Odin » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:49 am

Thanks. Yeah, working with the bigger unit is an amazing treat, time and again. Because it is so easy to sorta get addicted to that huge output number.

Not distilling enough ... yes, you are right there too. I am thinking of doing a new recipe though. Buk wheat but then roasted. Should get me some Maillard over for a smokey/throaty finish. As a side and new pet project.

Controller ... if you mean the PLC aka industrial computer and touch screen, well, yeah, we build that ourselves. We use components from a world-wide player in industry automation. Like Siemens. The reason is that this allows us to offer 20 years of warranty on these components and 30 years of spare part delivery guaranteed.

Regards, Odin.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby cede » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:18 am

Oh yes Siemens :) I used to play with their PLCs long time ago but now I design specific circuits. Can't offer 20 years warranty, that's a point, but I hope this will outlast me :)
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby RedwoodHillBilly » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:01 pm

Seimens makes sense. In Europe most use Siemens, here in America most use Rockwell (Allen Bradley), and in Asia Mitsubishi.

Back when dinosaurs walked the earth, I worked for Square-D designing PLCs. There were 2 major PLC manufacturers in the US at that time, Square-D and Allen-Bradley, both in Milwaukee, WI.

My personal preference for the design software is Rockwells RsLogix vs Siemens Step7, but to each their own.
John Barleycorn must die.
"and little Sir John in the nut brown bowl proved the strongest man at last.
The huntsman he can't hunt the fox, nor so loudly to blow his horn
and the tinker he can't mend kettle nor pots without a little barleycorn."
RedwoodHillBilly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Odin » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:35 pm

Thanks for sharing. I personally like Omron. As good in quality as Siemens, but slightly smaller and with bigger ears. They listen to what I want and need, which makes a huge difference.

Sorry if any confusion. I like Siemens, but decided to go with Omron. Siemens is very, very big. When I tell them something they say - and rightfully so - BMW and Mercedes go first.

Odin.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Odin » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:51 pm

Here's a picture of another iStill 5000 we assembled yesterday. In a distillery in the UK. It is their fourth still.

Regards, Odin.
Attachments
b9b0a276-0578-4e83-8ac8-1f293b5b4d2c.JPG
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby cede » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:10 pm

If no one was standing in front of it, you could says it's a 50 :lol:
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Odin » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:10 am

Haha, yeah, with a very small touch screen computer! ;)

All right! Next outing on the amazing iStills. Here is a link with pictures, story and two short videos on us using the iStill 2000 to mash ... tulip bulbs. For the Clusius Craft Distillers Tulip Vodka ...

https://istillblog.com/2018/01/11/mashi ... till-2000/

Regards, Odin.
Attachments
IMG_5076.JPG
Joris and the iStill ...
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby cede » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:27 pm

Ahahah :) You know you're Nederlands when you mash tulips :)
I didn't know those were edible bulbs.
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Odin » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:16 pm

Did some more interesting experiments with the Extractor (500 liters) in combination with the iStill (2000). Today we finished a series of tests, where we aim to evaluate the use of aforementioned set-up to make beer. Not "just" distillers beer, but consumers beer.

We put cracked malted barley in the extractor and fill the iStill 2000 with water. We start to heat up the water with 61C as its goal. We dial in the pump to start to transport the water from the iStill 2000 boiler to the Extractor. The process of starch extraction and starch conversion starts to take place. When all starch is converted to fermentable maltose, and when all sugars are extracted from the Extractor to the iStill 2000 boiler, we add hops and start the boil/cooking cycles. When these are done, we dial in the boiler radiator to cool the now hopped wort back to 20C and pitch the yeast ...

Heck, by adding the Extractor, we just turned the iStill 2000 into a full fledged, no compromise beer brewery. Personally, I am really excited about that! So excited that I told my team to set-up an i500 with a 100 liter extractor, and that I instructed my head brewer to develop an IPA recipe, so we can start making that in a few weeks time, potentially opening up a complete new market for us.

Odin.
Attachments
IMG_5245.JPG
Cutting the lines to feed the Extractor ...
IMG_5238.JPG
Pump ...
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Johnny6 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:57 am

Odin, I love reading about your new developments and the progress of your company. I remember the first pictures you posted of your prototype stills. You've come a long way and its been an exciting ride! I enjoy how you've been able to build on your previous accomplishments... and here is an other example.
Johnny6
Bootlegger

Postby Odin » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:56 pm

Thanks! Just checked into my hotel in Ogden, Utah. To give a three day course starting tomorrow.

Regards, Odin.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Odin » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:19 pm

Contract distilling on its way in the iStill Distillery. Sh*tloads of beer being processed into whiskey! Currently on SLC airport right now. Taking the plane back home in half an hour.

https://istillblog.com/2018/01/24/contr ... -istill-2/

Regards, Odin.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Odin » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:59 am

An update! We are leaving for Pittsburgh in a few days to participate at the ACSA Convention. We'll take vodka, gin, rum and whiskey with us ... and an iStill 2000!

If any of the home-crowd wants to come by, please do so! We throw a beer & burger evening on next Monday. You are invited!

Regards, Odin.
Attachments
IMG_0136.JPG
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Bushman » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:36 am

Odin, looks like you are standing on your head for this event :sarcasm:
Bushman
Global moderator

Postby Odin » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:15 am

We are all eating Gouda cheese ... that must have caused it!

Odin.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Previous

Return to Craft Distillers