Copper column packing

Place for craft/micro distillers in all stages of build to show and share.

Moderator: Site Moderator

TGCobb
Novice

Copper column packing

Post by TGCobb »

Bought some copper mesh on ebay,(I have done this in the past with no problem) while running my still the other day I detected some metallic particles! I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and where do you get your mesh?
You probably think I’m crazy or got some loose screws, but that’s aight though, Im a do me, you do you
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Copper column packing

Post by howie »

TGCobb wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:50 pm Bought some copper mesh on ebay,(I have done this in the past with no problem) while running my still the other day I detected some metallic particles! I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and where do you get your mesh?
little bits of copper links or dotted copper particles?
bits of the links fall off my copper mesh when i roll it.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

How could these particles get from your still to your collection jug? The mesh should be in the rising path.

Have you used a magnet to check that it is copper?
TGCobb
Novice

Post by TGCobb »

NZChris wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:13 pm How could these particles get from your still to your collection jug? The mesh should be in the rising path.

Have you used a magnet to check that it is copper?
They are in the pot when I am done with the run. I use both mesh and 1” pieces of copper in my column.
You probably think I’m crazy or got some loose screws, but that’s aight though, Im a do me, you do you
TGCobb
Novice

Post by TGCobb »

howie wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:05 pm
TGCobb wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:50 pm Bought some copper mesh on ebay,(I have done this in the past with no problem) while running my still the other day I detected some metallic particles! I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and where do you get your mesh?
little bits of copper links or dotted copper particles?
bits of the links fall off my copper mesh when i roll it.
Copper particles in the pot after the run
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Copper in the pot will do more good than harm.