harley / Falbygdens Bränneri AB Sweden

Place for craft/micro distillers in all stages of build to show and share.

Moderator: Site Moderator

harley03
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: harley / Falbygdens Bränneri AB Sweden

Post by harley03 »

Issnt this little 4” lovely with both drain and ciphead, a relly like it and soon a shall test both pc1 with 54mm caps and 4mm pattern and this pc2 with 63mm caps and 4,5mm pattern of this Test column with 5500watt power to about 50 liter of mash..

My 220mm single bubbelcaps is finish, now a shall fix 3pc plate to this in 12”/30cm also this weekend and a go for 4" as riser so a dont need to have so much licuid to fill this 12"plate....

Girls say that size dossent matter.. but i say that it does :shock:

And a shall go with bolted conections in all size over 8" becouse this is the limit for me with clamps and ferrules conections... :idea:

Cheers from Sweden
harley03
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by harley03 »

The distance that the reflux licuid Must travel before it can go down to next plate is More than 2x plate/column size.... in all column size....

That is a Pro plate :lol:

Nuts....

Cheers from Sweden
harley03
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by harley03 »

My little 4" testcolumn is tested with this 63mm singel bubbelcaps with a low serrated pattern for maximum taste transfer..

This bubbelcaps pattern worked perfectly according to my calculations, so I'm very happy with this result, see for yourself, the steam have Always contact to the bottom of the plate... This is Wery important!

5500watt effect and from a 10-14% sugar mash ... but which I was quickly found to bubbelcapsen must be round for at the top becouse the reflux drop is controlled by the rising vapor stream and pussed/pressed it to the center of the column and also the cup / steamlock should be further down / closer to the plate/bubbelcaps under so this phenomenon becomes less so as it looks in the movies, the reflux can get across the flat bubbelcapsen and it's Certainly not good, the reflux should ALWAYS have such a long road that permit to transport himself before falling to the next level ...: idea:

Now I have tilted the steamlock / cup so that the reflux would stick to the column wall all the time but this did not help when the upward steam flow is as strong as it is at 5500watt and from such a strong mash ...
and walk / climb from bubbelcapsen outside of the plate center over of which is the entrance hole for the steam ...
so the recipe / solution to overcome this is both round / domed bubbelcaps top and lower vapor lock / cup / closer to the plate/bubbelcaps ...

Now learn this problem reduce/get smaller the larger column diameter you have if you have rounded top at the singel bubbelcaps .......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x75HOH ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFscpU3 ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYxBuHXqAgE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Cheers från Sweden
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Harley you are a problem solver, nice demonstration with the video's. I wish I had time to swing up your way and see all that you are doing this fall but I guess it will have to wait for another trip.
harley03
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by harley03 »

Todays work

3pc 8” super reflux cooler is finnish and waiting for cleaning, now a have 5pc of this so a don’t need to let made anymore….

Tomorrows work is to made 1pc 8” singel bubbelcaps column also in pure copper with 50/50 caps-column size.

Cheers from Sweden.
harley03
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by harley03 »

Singel bubbelcaps plate to this column.

harley03
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by harley03 »

Cheers from Sweden
Brendan
Rumrunner

Post by Brendan »

Always love your work Harley, beautiful stuff.

You are a master craftsman! :thumbup:
Scribbler
Rumrunner

Post by Scribbler »

Wow wow wow wow wow

Breathtaking work!

I am midway through reading this thread (I promise to finish! But I got hung up on something and had to ask about it!!). How on earth did you make such beautiful consistent creases? (Indentations?). I LOVE this!

What sort of tools did you need?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408579236.088467.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408579249.918047.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408579260.113898.jpg
harley03
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by harley03 »

Thanks to you all for this nice words.

Next project is to made 3pc 100cmx20cm copper sections filled with 16x16x0,5mm Pall rings in 304ss.
This shall be good for about 35 000watt ( a hope) and with my super reflux cooler in pure copper on top of it a think and hope that a shall get out somewere betveen 30-40 liter of 96% neutral from a 6-8% mash per hour...
Now a have tested and counted on my combinated packnings support and distributions plate that shall sit on bottom of every copper section.
This is only a test so a can se what my manual sheet machine can handle and this feel rely good..

Cheers från Fkp
harley03
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by harley03 »

Scribbler wrote:Wow wow wow wow wow

Breathtaking work!

I am midway through reading this thread (I promise to finish! But I got hung up on something and had to ask about it!!). How on earth did you make such beautiful consistent creases? (Indentations?). I LOVE this!

What sort of tools did you need?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408579236.088467.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408579249.918047.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408579260.113898.jpg

I use a folding machine and the tracks of these pictures are from my little manual fals maskin/folding machine, but on my 100cmx20cm and 100cm x30cm columns are made with one similar to the one in the picture and motorized.

Now there are 3pc different types of 100x200cm 1.5mm copper sheet here in sweden Hard, soft and annealed to buy in Sweden and so far I have been using the soft but that visible on my last picture is made from annealed copper sheet and I will only buy that type ahead for it is much easier to process ...
But my Folding machine is made in Sweden and Note China like this in the picture so 2mm copper sheet is No problem for that…

Cheers from Sweden
Scribbler
Rumrunner

Post by Scribbler »

Wow. This has me thinking of possibilities. Daydreaming about building something that might work this this!

Are both of the rollers powered by the motor, or just one?

I assume you make several passes with the copper sheet, adjusting the machine a little each time?

By 1.5mm and 2mm copper sheet, do you mean that the thickness of the sheet is 1.5mm to 2mm?

Do you think making the rollers (the Lower V shaped one, and the upper U shaped one) out of aluminum or brass would work? Or do they need to be steel do you think?
harley03
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by harley03 »

Cheers from Sweden
Last edited by harley03 on Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
harley03
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by harley03 »

10x10x0,3mm pall ring in ss 304 compare to SPP 4,5x5,5mm from Poland

Cheers from Sweden
Last edited by harley03 on Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
harley03
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by harley03 »

SPP from Poland in 4,5x5,5mm and Pall ring 10x10x0,3mm and 16x16x0,5mm from Kina.

Cheers from Sweden
harley03
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by harley03 »

Todays work:
Some plate to made the water to zig -zag Inside of 6pc 160cm high product cooler in 4”

Inside of 2pc 8” refuxcooler

Cheers from Sweden
harley03
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by harley03 »

As you see from the above pictures on pallet ring so the next project is to produce a number of 8 "sections in copper “off course” with a height of 100cm for vodka production filled with 10x10x0,3mm pallet ring and some also with 16x16x0,5mm pallet ring so a can compare what size that gives me the best results to 33 000watt power and with my super shoot gun reflux coolers in copper ...
As you also can see I have a combined packing support plate and distribution in bottom of each 1 meter section which has an open area that exceeds the column diameter so I do not get any constrictions where ...

This shall be without any electronic temp/water controll becouse we have EX/ATEX = explosionproof on/in the boiler and about 2 meter around it in Sweden and a think the hole/all EU..... and we must also be below 1 bar/15psi with ours safety valves......

More pictures will what suffers ..

Cheers from Sweden land of pure vodka..
harley03
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by harley03 »

harley03
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by harley03 »

harley03
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by harley03 »

At last my temp gauge come to my reflux cooler, 3pc in every reflux cooler….

Cheers från Fkp
harley03
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by harley03 »

Cheers from Sweden
harley03
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by harley03 »

12” 3 plate singel bubbelcaps column.

8” 4 plate singel bubbelcaps column.

Cheers från Fkp
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I often wonder how you have the time to run a distillery and still build these beautiful stills?
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

@Bushman

Not sure he has distilled ANYTHING as of yet? Maybe he can confirm this..

But as much equipment as he has fabricated he will be able to roll IF and WHEN he does get around to mashing some grain... or making vodka and rum..

FS
harley03
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by harley03 »

Hi Bushman and Fullysilenced

My various types of plates and columns are tested, of course, but not in production yet by me but by others, for some of these copper columns are sold to other legitimate manufacturers here in Sweden and I have also sold some exclusively single bubbelcaps plates and more parts....

One of the reasons that I do not officially have posted some pictures of distillation with my various types of columns, is that I have not yet finished building or adapted my boiler / cooker to meet the EX / ATEX directive yet... am still have illegal immersion heaters in them .. .

So NO FS, I have Not have large-scale and Officially distilled something on malted grain yet, and before I start with malted grain and I will build me my own small malt equipment so I can buy “raw” grain directly from the farmer and Malt it myself.....

For spirits/vodka made on ensymer is note be easy to sell in Sweden and suger is forbidden to use to made vodka from.. if you dont wright in on the bottle backside.......

Yes we are probably the country that has most laws and regulations in the world and everything must meet all the requirements, otherwise you get rid of yours permits and Newer get it again...

Now we have them laws and regulations that we have here in Sweden and want to keep all of their state so you just have to adapt and because I let build almost all of my plants locally and in Pure copper, it takes time, especially when everything should be Tested before and also comply with all laws ...
Well, we must also be able to clean the equipment after completion of distillation as the environment and health in Sweden, environment and health performing the National Food Administration supervision

Interesting that you bring this up because I have a number of questions relating to laws and regulations and safety regulated by these laws that we have both in Sweden and inside al EU.

I guess you also have similar laws and regulations that you must observe in your countries that apply to all legitimate manufacturer.
If we start with the EX / ATEX regulations ( explosive atmosphere) which all distilling equipment must meet these requirements for me and everyone Legally in the EU.

http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/sectors/ ... dex_en.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

sorry I can not find a better link to the ATEX directive in English ... for those laws that apply EX / ATEX Directive, which I read, is in Swedish and this link was the first one I found in English that you can read and understand.

Here you have it in Swedish.
http://www.elsakerhetsverket.se/Global/ ... 202013.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Here you have some manufacture that made Immersion Heaters, ATEX Approved….
https://asp.zone-secure.net/v2/index.js ... tartPage=9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
http://www.masterwatt.it/public/file/EX ... nglish.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
http://www.exheat.com/certification.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I wonder if you do not have these explosion safety laws and regulations in your countries ...

The same applies to safety valves, they must be approved EX / ATEX and below 0.5 bar maximum pressure.. then it is classed as open vessel / simple pressure vessels otherwise the vessel/boiler must be classified ....

http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/sectors/ ... dex_en.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Here you have some manufacture/salesman for EX / ATEX approved burst disc.
http://www.awimex.se/sprangbleck.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
http://www.fagerberg.se/index.php/downl ... raengbleck" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I hope that both of you will take the time to respond in the same way that I have answered you for this sub category is for legitimate users, which I am.

Cheers from Fkp
Last edited by harley03 on Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Harley, to answer your comment in your last post I am not sure what the building regulations are here in the US for commercial stills. I have done research on opening a distillery but not building equipment. If I had to guess they are not as stringent as your laws. I say that because I have visited micro distilleries here in the US that are with small equipment made by the owner that would be more in the realm of what we build here at the hobby level. Maybe the regulations change with the size but I don't know. You have now given me something else to think about and research as when posed a question I don't have an answer too I usually try to seek the answers. If I find out I will let you know!

PS: When I visited Odin this last fall my one disappointment with my trip was not being able to take you up on the invitation to visit you in Sweden. My next trip to Norway I will try to contact you and see if we can get together!
harley03
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by harley03 »

FullySilenced wrote:@Bushman

Not sure he has distilled ANYTHING as of yet? Maybe he can confirm this..

But as much equipment as he has fabricated he will be able to roll IF and WHEN he does get around to mashing some grain... or making vodka and rum..

FS

I'm still waiting for your reply .... FS...
Last edited by harley03 on Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harley03
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by harley03 »

Sweden is probably the country that are cheapest to start up a legal distillery in the world ... but at the same time the country with the most laws and regulations that you must follow ..... and you only get one chance ..... then then you are exhausted forever ...

I've actually only paid about $ 350 for the authorities to date and I have all the necessary authorizations without any constraints ...

This is what all Legally manufactures must meet/admit/made/ adapt inside EU...

Soon am 100% adapt to this ATEX/EX regulations in eweryting/all... 8)

Cheers from Sweden.
harley03
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by harley03 »

There is a lot of new stuff in the "pipeline" thats is whay a have been quit for some time... copperstuff for legaly manufactures ofcourse....

Cheers from Sweden
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Always enjoy your posts and am looking forward to an update with pictures! :thumbup: