New Dutch Courage Distillery

Place for craft/micro distillers in all stages of build to show and share.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: New Dutch Courage Distillery

Post by Odin »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:Wow, Odin, is there some trick of the sun that allows you a couple extra hours every day? I don't know how you get so much done.
You obviously love what you're doing, maybe that's the trick.

I'll be watching, hoping to make gin, or genever, sometime this year!
The trick is very simple: make your passion your job. And I need only a few hours sleep per night. That also helps. Today we will start shooting the instructional video on gin. Genever will be a bit later!

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

The gin bottle design is nearing completion!

Regards, Odin.
Attachments
IMG_0737.JPG
IMG_0733.JPG
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

And so is the single malt whisky!

Regards, Odin.
Attachments
IMG_5061.JPG
Distilaholic
Novice

Post by Distilaholic »

Odin wrote:And so is the single malt whisky!

Regards, Odin.
Is it just a coincidence the single malt whisky and your moutwijn are the same % or are they the same?

If so, how come you are allowed to call it single malt whisky and not single grain whisky.

If not so, please just ignore me curiosity :?
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Odin wrote:And so is the single malt whisky!

Regards, Odin.
Very clean label design. There is a lot to be said for a nice simple design. There is an old saying "elegance in design isn't when you have added everything possible, but when you have removed everything possible". I hope that it tastes as good as it looks.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

These are just the labels, Distilaholic, nothing permanent yet. Maltwine whiskey and single malt whisky are two very different products. One is made out of peated and malted barley only. The other is 45% rye and 45% wheat and only 10% unpeated malt.

Regards, Odin.
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

How old is that single malt Odin? It is very dark from the picture showing a heavy oaking typically. Aged in your barrels?
Ga Flatwoods
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Hi GA, this is just a test batch I made 2 years ago. Rough cuts, very short yet intense aging in JD blocks. Ageing at 56% in the bottles ever since. Well, what's left. Goals was to make a 10 year old Islay style. I think I got there (listening to the raving reviews from others) in 2 years only. And that was at 50% power and without the catalyst on my iStill 50, so ran a bit on the fast side and with no sulfur control. With catalyst and power manager and only 40% power input during the finishing run, I think I can mimick results in 9 to 12 months.

Regards, Odin.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Our website is life!

http://www.newdutchlegacy.nl/#!home/kzaio" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Regards, Odin.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Nice job on the web site Odin, like the labels it's nice and clean....simple and elegant.... :thumbup: Kiwi
Getting hung up all day on smiles
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Odin wrote:Goals was to make a 10 year old Islay style. I think I got there (listening to the raving reviews from others) in 2 years only. And that was at 50% power and without the catalyst on my iStill 50,
Hi Odin, Could you elaborate on "catalyst"
....and I'll share, I made a mistake...I was cutting a single malt to bottle strength and grabbed a bottle of 10ppm colloidal silver. I only added a tiny amount, a tablespoon full in a gallon, before a saw the label. I normally use "sweet water" that I collect at the very end of the low wines/beer run, for my cut and they were both in the same shaped bottle. Within 24 hours there was a marked improvement, that has continued over the last three months. So what I'm doing now is testing the results on three smaller batches, to see if it's the silver that's making the difference and what the long term results might be....I was going to post my results if I found something interesting.
My conclusion is that the colloidal silver is acting as a catalyst and speeding up the maturation changes....we will see.
Of course, if this works on a rum, and I can't see why it wouldn't, it would be a great advertising gimmick, a rum that is aged with "Pirate silver!" in it... Kiwi
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

:)

My stills have a catalyst section, filled with copper, to clean up sulfurs, Kiwi.

Odin.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Odin wrote::)

My stills have a catalyst section, filled with copper, to clean up sulfurs, Kiwi.

Odin.
A catalytic section where a chemical reaction takes place, with copper being the active catalyst... Similar to a catalytic converter on an automobiles exhaust system intended to reduce emissions, using platinum as the catalyst...
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

rad14701 wrote:automobiles exhaust system intended to reduce emissions, using platinum as the catalyst...
I worked in a plant in MD where we made the PM mix for cat converters. It was 3X palladium to 2X platinum to 1X rhodium. At the time Rh was selling for 10K a Toz. My first Rh dissolve, only about a table spoon full of metal, was worth more than my house. We had the patent for a "no salt dissolve" prep, so demand for our product was very high.

So what other metals could act as a catalyst in the distillation process?....Kiwi
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

kiwi Bruce wrote:
rad14701 wrote:automobiles exhaust system intended to reduce emissions, using platinum as the catalyst...
I worked in a plant in MD where we made the PM mix for cat converters. It was 3X palladium to 2X platinum to 1X rhodium. At the time Rh was selling for 10K a Toz. My first Rh dissolve, only about a table spoon full of metal, was worth more than my house. We had the patent for a "no salt dissolve" prep, so demand for our product was very high.

So what other metals could act as a catalyst in the distillation process?....Kiwi
Sounds like an interesting job... As far as other metals, not much at the hobby level that would be readily available... Unless you have some spare silver or gold kicking around...
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

I've got some colloidal silver.....sterling, more than I like to admit to myself.... Silver chloride... a shi# load, don't have the motivation to convert it back to metal...I used to use Ag to cut my gold down to below 4 carat, so that nitric acid could dissolve my scrap metal and clean it up for re-alloying. Silver was cheap, under $4 a Toz...add table salt to the spent nitric and the silver drops out as insoluble chloride. Gold ...I do wish I was sitting on ten times as much as I am....But my hiney sight wasn't 20/20....Kiwi
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

I visited the design agency this morning. Here are the 5 proposals they made for our first release: Odins Gin.

Regards, Odin.
Attachments
IMG_5147.JPG
IMG_5144.JPG
IMG_5143.JPG
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

I'm partial to that first one... the angled label really catches the eye. Also, I like to be able to see the clear spirit. :clap:
Life member, representative, and proud supporter of the Hobby Distiller's Association.

http://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

I also like the angled label.

If it's that far off on purpose, you can never get one crooked! HA...
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

The angled labled bottle really stands out on the shelf ...

Odin.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

I like the label with the round NDL tag and the batch info on each bottle. I dislike the black and white label, it would be impossible to tell when the bottle was running low, ie when it's time to buy another bottle! The slanted label is very different and original, I like the fact that the actual product name is visible through the bottle, also very cutting edge. Good look you have there Odin, I'm pleased for you! Kiwi
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

So Odin, which one do you like?
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

The angled one it will be! Just today we had another meeting to change a few last things. Label is supposed to be ready next week and to be printed the week after that.

Regards, Odin.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

I am currently filling four 30-liter barrels with water to clean them out and to prepare them for the around maltwine I am going to barrel in them tomorrow!

Regards, Odin.
Attachments
IMG_5202.JPG
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Just finished another interview with one of the national newspapers over here on "Odins Gin". Will be published tomorrow. If I can find the link online, I will post it here.

Regards, Odin.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

If you could, that would be great ! KB
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Well ... here's the picture. Article isn't online yet.

Regards, Odin.
Attachments
IMG_2614.PNG
pythonshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pythonshine »

Good deal Odin! Once again an inspiration to all!
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

Nice picture.

And how do I git me one of them iStill T-Shirts?
Alco_Selfie
Novice

Post by Alco_Selfie »

Handsome Guy with a big smile :-)

Alco