iStill NextGen

Place for craft/micro distillers in all stages of build to show and share.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: iStill NextGen

Post by Odin »

That's a good question, Bushman. Let's see if we can surface that information out of the books ...

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

This short video gives a good impression about the iStill University Training we just organized in the Netherlands:

https://www.magisto.com/album/video/ITw ... sm&o=i&c=w

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Berserk
Bootlegger

Post by Berserk »

Odin wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:43 pm Yeah, and I don't understand why. They look good when I take 'm or repost them anywhere else but HD.

Odin.
If I'm to venture a guess it's a tag in the picture's metadata which tells the rotation of the photo that is handled incorrectly/removed on the HD forums.

Cheers,
Berserk
Cheers,
Berserk

He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind.
But he who sticks out in darkness is fluorescent!
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Things are going berserker over here, at iStill. I made some changes to our commercial organization. Should have done that probably half a year earlier, and not just this January, 'cause the results are amazing, if not ... terrifying.

Growing from a start-up contender with a very big mouth (backed up by some actual understanding of distilling and a few inventions) into becoming the world's leading manufacturer of distillation equipment in 6 1/2 years, with us producing over 200 pro distilleries per year, is one thing.

But seeing the current boost in demand, since January, is - as mentioned before - almost frightening. We are basically getting in one order per day. And an order can be an iStill 500. But also an i2000 with a masher and x fermenters and three recipe development projects. We might well see iStill completely taking over (not just leading) some of the word's most important markets while we try to push out 400 professional distilleries in this year.

And that's with Asia and Africa just starting to warm up to what we have to offer ...

:shock:

Odin.
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

While I'm sure you are able to keep up with current orders, but with projection of the increase in orders are your current facilities up to size or are you already planning on expansion in the future?

While it might be scary it's a good problem to have. :)
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Good to hear Odin

How about being a good fella and donating 1% of your profits to Uncle Jesse to help run HD forum :angel:
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

C,

The advantage is that we build batch style, so upping production is relatively easy, when compared to a more traditional single order = specific project approach. This way of building also helps keep our units relatively affordable. We have upped our lead time from 2 to 4 months. Might need to do that again and go to 6 months. Still like half of what Vendome, Mueller or Holstein have ...

Y,

I remember donating some years ago in that order of magnitude. Oh, the problems it caused for our accountant! "So it is to an illegal, home-distilling ... what?" In the end it was me paying it personally (which makes quite the difference, given our atrocious tax rates), turning that 1% into 2% and more of my personal net spendable income.

But, yeah, you are right. Giving back to this amazing resource called "Homedistiller" is in order again ... I'll do so shortly. Please all of you follow my lead.

Odin.
Last edited by Odin on Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

good to hear, i like knowing rich people.

makes it easier to borrow money. :ebiggrin: :wink:
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

HDNB wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:31 pm good to hear, i like knowing rich people.

makes it easier to borrow money. :ebiggrin: :wink:
:D

Rich in experiences, maybe, H!

On another note, here is an interesting article on Robert James Distillery from Ohio:

https://www.thegnarlygnome.com/2019/04/ ... n-the-way/

"The biggest changes right off the bat are on the technology side. A big invest is being made in iStill technology, a company that has some really fun ideas about “fast aging” products that will help Robert James Distillery to not only collaborate among a unique network of similar distilleries, but to come to market faster with cutting edge, patented spirits production processes."

Regards, Odin.
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

Not to distract from this thread but "giving" can be measured in many ways and not just in $. Shared information, knowledge and helpful tips and tricks to name just a few make the forums what they are.

Odin has put him self out on the line on many (at the time) controversial things, stuck to his guns, persevered and now these same things are taken for granted. Regardless if original idea, old school technique or if big distiller techniques from his research and learning, he's taken much heat in these forums over the years in the process and that is priceless to those using these techniques now that he advocated.

When you read these forums, one can only come to the conclusion that Odin has given much over the years.

So putting aside the dilemma you have with your accountant on giving/donations I'll just say a thank you for all the information and ideas you've floated here over the years.

Now maybe I and others should get off our butts and make a $ contribution as well. LOL
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Thanks for the kudo's.

Here's an interview with Joe Canella, owner of the Ferino Distillery in Reno:

https://eu.rgj.com/story/life/food/2019 ... 483115001/

Regards, Odin.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

... and here is a short article on Mark Elia making wheat vodka at his distillery in Long Branch, NJ:

https://istillblog.com/2020/02/18/making-wheat-vodka-1/

Regards, Odin.
318f6540-92fa-4e0a-a7cc-d0473a5c240d.jpg
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

Very glad things are going well for you my friend!
Life member, representative, and proud supporter of the Hobby Distiller's Association.

http://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Randy, that is a long time ago! You visited when we were in the South Bend area ... How ya doing? Now ... six years ago?

Odin.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Meet amazing Claire Marin, owner of Catskill Provisions Distillery. She is a bee keeper, and a distiller, with an amazing honey rye whiskey! We are very proud that she is an iStill customer. She has an iStill 2000.

https://spirits.catskillprovisions.com/

Regards, Odin.
image-asset.jpg
claire.png
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Pictures of Long Branch Distillery's opening:

https://istillblog.com/2020/02/20/long- ... its-doors/

Regards, Odin.
6eb72ace-fa02-44d8-a47e-951d1049ba1d.jpg
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Here is a little dilution calculator to bring your hearts cut down to barrel or bottling strength. Nothing fancy, but sharing it anyhow.

Regards, Odin.

iStill Dilution Calculator.xlsx
(12.87 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Meet Dan while Dan meets his iStill 2000:

https://istillblog.com/2020/02/27/dan-m ... till-2000/

Regards, Odin.

91aaa1a5-266b-49b9-9841-a91f7a670b65.jpg
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Celebrating my 51st birthday today! Anyone that is in the neighborhoud, today, at 4 pm, please know we are having drinks at Cafe De Pompier in Woerden. I am buying, y'all are invited!

Regards, Odin.

88253627_2714789201968698_6315544195230597120_n.jpg
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Happy birthday and I am sorry I won't be in the neighbourhood!

Geoff
The Baker
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Thanks Geoff! Missing you already!

Regards, Odin.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Happy Birthday Odin!

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Beers with the boys, then dinner with the family. Had a great day. Today is about recovery.

Regards, Odin.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

You look’n pretty good for 51 Odin . Cheers :D :thumbup:
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Thanks Yummi!

Charles, distiller from South Africa, attended the iStill University and gives his feedback:

“Finally back in South Africa. What a pleasure spending time with you all. Hope to stay in touch one way or another. Thank you for the inspiration – lots of possible products on the horizon. And a fantastic course, well presented by all at iStill. Without a doubt our next still. Best regards. Charles”

More on Charles and his Six Dogs Distillery? Please read this:

https://www.samsambutdifferent.net/post ... distillery
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

New distillery in Ireland opens its doors!

https://istillblog.com/2020/03/02/wild- ... istillery/

Regards, Odin.

unnamed.png
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

This morning we put three more stills on transport. Two iStills 2000 go to distilleries in Norway and Sweden. An iStill 500 and Extractor go to Australia.

Regards, Odin.

IMG_0447.jpg
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Congrats to Sarah and Jonathan for making the best English London dry style gin! We are proud that you studied at the iStill University and produce your now award winning gin on an iStill 500!

https://istillblog.com/2020/03/03/congr ... and-sarah/

Regards, Odin.

unnamed-1.jpg
unnamed-1.jpg (12.35 KiB) Viewed 5200 times
unnamed.jpg
unnamed-2.jpg
unnamed-2.jpg (10.93 KiB) Viewed 5200 times
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Pumping out more iStills ... We are starting electrification on three more iStills 500 and two iStills 2000. They'll go on transport next weekend. I didn't check all of 'm, but one of the iStills 500 goes to Fox & Seeker in the USA, the two iStills 2000 go to customers from Japan and Norway ...

Oh, and almost forgot the iStill 100 that goes to the UK. You can see it in the background, on the right, ready for final assembly.

Regards, Odin.

IMG_0460.jpg
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Robert James Distillery switches to iStill technology:

https://istillblog.com/2020/03/05/rober ... es-istill/

BTW, who is going to ACSA in Portland or ADI in New Orleans? We'll be there. Would love to meet up with some of you guys, maybe have a few drinks together ...

Regards, Odin.

images.jpg
images.jpg (14.09 KiB) Viewed 6798 times