Old Copper Road Distillery

Place for craft/micro distillers in all stages of build to show and share.

Moderator: Site Moderator

fqu8847
Swill Maker

Post by fqu8847 »

After having to change the name, struggling to find financing, and walking on egg shells to keep several key individuals happy... "Old Copper Road Distillery" is in the works! We have charmed the local government who has expressed their desire to help us succeed, we have filed paperwork with the state through our lawyer for the company, and have applied for a trademark on the name! So excited!!! The city has notified us of a natural underground spring running under the mountian that was tapped almost 100 years ago. They requested that we use that source for our water when we need it since it would help draw tourists to visit the distillery! They also offered the land around the pipe tap at a ridiculous discount!!! It is way WAY off the beaten path though, so not sure what we're gonna do. I will post updates here as they happen!
Ducktown, TN 37326
DSP- Pending
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Old Copper Road Distillery

Post by yakattack »

Congrats!
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Wow! In a world of government standing in the way, what good news.
Wish you the best!
Grappa-Gringo
Swill Maker

Post by Grappa-Gringo »

Congrats...wish I was closer to visit and toss one back!
They say, "you are what you eat"... Then I'm fast, easy and cheap!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Very nice congratulations!!!
fqu8847
Swill Maker

Post by fqu8847 »

Well... we've made it into the local paper! Pretty good write up! Got it posted on our Facebook page named: "Old Copper Road Distillery"... found a deal on some stainless barrels last night. Meeting the guy today to put a down payment on 8, which he has to go get, and to purchase 2. 10 of them for $1200 altogether. Figure that will allow us to store, and proof 50 gallons at a time in each barrel. Pretty excited!
Ducktown, TN 37326
DSP- Pending
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Congratulations, and the best in your new venture..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
fqu8847
Swill Maker

Post by fqu8847 »

Met with the planning committee last night. The city ordinances are going to be altered to allow distilleries in c2 zones, which includes both of my prospective properties, paper work is filed with the state for the business, and I am setting up a surveyor to come in and prepare a site plan for the most ikely of the two choices. Slow go, but a go nonetheless!
Ducktown, TN 37326
DSP- Pending
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

That's great news!

Good luck along the way.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
madspeed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by madspeed »

Love hearing the progression. I can literally feel the excitement as you're posting, keep it up!
fqu8847
Swill Maker

Post by fqu8847 »

Thanks y'all! So I have gotten 3 different proposals on 3 different properties, and am close to making a decision. They all will cost about the same amount one way or the other, but they all open different avenues regarding property uses, curb appeal, and visibility. NONE of them are bad, mind you, just different possibilities. 2 of these were in my original envisionments and I have gotten sweet deals on all 3. I have had to postpone the survey due to the increase in potential places. Good lord this is literally a "hurry up and wait" ordeal... kills me.
Ducktown, TN 37326
DSP- Pending
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Which building needs the least amount of retrofitting?
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
fqu8847
Swill Maker

Post by fqu8847 »

They all are new builds... we have gotten a purchase price of $90k on 3 acres, and am speaking with our lawyer and bank regarding purchasing. While only 1.25 acres is usable at this time (the other land is covered by a 14ft tall mounta in of dirt) we were thinking we could excavate that dirt and sell it to the state for their bridge they are building not far from us. Total is about 66k tons of dirt, roughly, to be on grade with the rest of the lot. Think it's a fair deal for us.
Ducktown, TN 37326
DSP- Pending
fqu8847
Swill Maker

Post by fqu8847 »

Well we have signed a contract on the 3 acre lot, and are waiting the surveyor to complete their dealings. Will divide the parcel, and get a site plan soon to submit to the planning committee. Also met with a bank to see if we could finance the costs instead of putting it up out of pocket. Seems like we will be under construction soon!
Ducktown, TN 37326
DSP- Pending
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

fqu8847 wrote:Well we have signed a contract on the 3 acre lot, and are waiting the surveyor to complete their dealings. Will divide the parcel, and get a site plan soon to submit to the planning committee. Also met with a bank to see if we could finance the costs instead of putting it up out of pocket. Seems like we will be under construction soon!
:thumbup: :thumbup:

OVZ
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

Congrats man. It always puts a smile on my face to know that a fellow distiller is living the dream of having a legal distillery.
fqu8847
Swill Maker

Post by fqu8847 »

We have now submitted 2 different site plans to the city planning committee, and both have been turned down by TDOT. Would be so much easier, and less time consuming, if they would all go over this shit together, before hand. Oh well this last one (3rd time now) seems to be exactly what everyone will want/need. Just wish it wasn't a month before we could submit subsequent revisions to the planning committee. Better get used to the red tape though... after we open I'm sure it will be 10x worse!
Ducktown, TN 37326
DSP- Pending
Stargazer14
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stargazer14 »

I've had this fancy to open a distillery myself, will keep an eye on your posts and FB page! Exciting times.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Very exciting news. Congratulations! Please keep posting your progress here, as it sounds like it's just going to be a wild ride.
Best of luck to ya.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
fqu8847
Swill Maker

Post by fqu8847 »

Thanks otis! stargazer, hit me up on fb! would love to chat! I decided to cut the head off the snake, and had a meeting with the road dept. Seems we have conditional approval as of now, and are just about to finish the paperwork for the purchase of our site. 3 yrs in the planning, 8 months in the starting of the business, 6 months in the attempting to purchase the property... let's see what tomorrow holds!
Ducktown, TN 37326
DSP- Pending
fqu8847
Swill Maker

Post by fqu8847 »

Oh man... I have been so disheartened lately. All the wind gone from my sails. The paperwork was not even near completed! *angry yell* we had to reschedule the closing date for June 27th. After rushing for 2 weeks straight to get every final detail on our end done, I get a call the morning of the 26th to tell me that the sellers weren't ready at this time, and we would need ANOTHER EXTENSION! I felt bad for the lady at the title company when I finished my over-the-phone rant, but, in all honesty, that IS their job. They do it for a living to make money, and therefore should know what they are doing. (Also they were realtor recommended) Well ot has been a week or two since then, and we have a rescheduled meeting for August the 4th to close... FINALLY!!! we shall see, though, as I'm not getting my hopes up again.
Ducktown, TN 37326
DSP- Pending
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Don't get disheartened fq.... when the wind leaves your sails it's just an opportunity for you to stop and enjoy the view. You will be full sail again soon, I'm sure.

I remember your first posts (hard to forget a name like fqu8847) and you talking about getting this project going. Keep the post going.... a lot of us are watching and rooting for ya!

While you're waiting, take this time to start perfecting new recipes! :mrgreen:
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
okie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by okie »

I will watch this thread as you progress. Good luck and keep plugging away
Never try to argue or reason with idiots and morons, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

Damn, you were in hurry up and wait mode back in February...

I can never get excited about a property deal until closing is complete — been burned too many times.

But you’re in the home stretch now, hopefully literally.
fqu8847
Swill Maker

Post by fqu8847 »

Thanks for the uplifting posts, y'all! We DID close!!!!! Now I am getting ready to submit my permit applications to the city so we can start ground work. Closed last Friday, and have had all weekend to get the giddiness out of my system so I can focus on actually starting this project!

FINALLY!!!!!

In other news my wife finally got excited and decided the company now needs an instagram page. Hahahahaha!!!
#OldCopperRoadDistillery
#ChillinAndDistillin
#seriously?
(All but the last one are her ideas on what we should hashtag... whatever a hashtag is)
Ducktown, TN 37326
DSP- Pending
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

fqu8847 wrote:... whatever a hashtag is)

is it like freeze tag.... or TV tag?

Good for you fq...go get 'em!
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
fqu8847
Swill Maker

Post by fqu8847 »

So the latest is we still haven't started! So disheartening, but we have made progress... we have anchor bolt plans, and within another 3 weeks will have foundation plans. Hopefully can have them approved and the foundation in place by December. Would make a great Christmas present for sure! Hahahaha!!!
Ducktown, TN 37326
DSP- Pending
Worm_Drippinz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Worm_Drippinz »

Good luck!!
TDick
Distiller