Moving on up!

Place for craft/micro distillers in all stages of build to show and share.

Moderator: Site Moderator

glenlyon
Novice

Moving on up!

Post by glenlyon »

Hi all,
Been a while since I've been around. However, I have been busy! I spent most of the last year re-zoning my property and building a small but vital distillery in my backyard. Now I have obtained the appropriate licenses! Yay! Next step is opening - I expect to be able to do that early in the new year.
I appreciate, not everyone would want to do this, its a long difficult process, but achievable!
Cheers,
Glen
Renaissance Man
Licensed Craft Distiller
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Re: Moving on up!

Post by bluefish_dist »

Congratulations. It's a long road. Very fulfilling when you actually get product in customers hands.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
Fraser
Novice

Post by Fraser »

Congrats! Good luck to you and please keep us posted on your progress. :thumbup:
Sator Square Distillery
DSP-PA-20063
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Congrats and best wishes moving forward.

Seems like it takes a good three years to develop any kind of appreciable traction. Hang on to your day job.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Updates???
Said you wuz gonna try open early this year.
:yawn:
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
glenlyon
Novice

Post by glenlyon »

Sorry for the delay in updates.

My mother broke her leg at Christmas time, which certainly slowed things down.

Fortunately, the mother is recovering nicely and the distillery is finished, licensed and ready to go. We start production May 1st with an eye to opening to the public in late June.

Although the process has been long and complicated, it's been achievable and most all of the regulatory people have been great to work with.

I'll try to be a bit more regular in my updates as we get underway.

The day job went south some time ago :)
Renaissance Man
Licensed Craft Distiller
glenlyon
Novice

Post by glenlyon »

Just posted a temp website...

bruinwood.com
Renaissance Man
Licensed Craft Distiller
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

Don't be surprised if your recipes change a little for the larger batches. We started in May and didn't sell until August. I had a steep learning curve for dealing with big batches and different water. Now almost two years and 100 batches later I have a good handle on it. Fermentation is faster and higher yields, stills are bigger. Good luck.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
Fraser
Novice

Post by Fraser »

Good luck. Keep the updates coming. Wish you all the best in getting started soon, it's very exciting.
Sator Square Distillery
DSP-PA-20063
Samyguy
Bootlegger

Post by Samyguy »

Good move Congrats :thumbup:
glenlyon
Novice

Post by glenlyon »

Thanks Guys!

This last week has bee crazy and next week we start the countdown to our first production run.

Making Vodka to start followed by some Gin and then eventually some whiskey.

It will be very interesting to actually see our finished products for sale to the public. Never thought I'd see the day...

Cheers,
Glen.
Renaissance Man
Licensed Craft Distiller
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

Exciting! Congratulations!
What size still are you running?

I'm about to embark upon this in Arvada, Colorado and hoping to get rezoning so I can use my detached workshop garage. Do you think 135 gallon still would be sufficient to get started? It seems small to be but it's likely all I can afford.

EDIT:
I just read your post earlier about cost and size. Great. That's completely out for me
Sweetfeed 100 proof for drinking white
All grain bourbon for testing my patience
Whatever else is left goes to the Homefree, because, I hate waste
EagleCliffs
Novice

Post by EagleCliffs »

The thing is, to be a successful business you need to learn how to do everything well. Those lessons are the same whether you spend $2000 on your start up or $2 million. Keep your size and your operating expenses as low as possible as you start out. The first goal is learning, not making money. I currently run a 50 gallon still and that is more than adequate. I use the same boiler with a stripping column and a rectifying column. You will want to get to the point where you have one each ASAP, so starting with a 50 gallon still, then adding another is much better than having one 100 gallon still, IMO.

I produce 400 gallons of wort, strip, then rectify. The output is roughly 100 bottles of 750 ml, 40% ABV vodka. At one batch per week, I can produce over 400 bottles per month. I once had distilling described as an iceberg. The production is the visible 20%, sales and marketing are the hidden 80%. Learn how to sell 400 bottles per month and you will have the cash flow to grow (assuming you aren't trying to draw a salary). That is my two-cents worth, anyway.
DSP-WA-15069
glenlyon
Novice

Post by glenlyon »

Distillers, I’m sorry to take so long to respond. Once I opened the distillery, I quickly found that other than essential emails and the odd hour of Netflix, I don’t spend much time in front of the computer these days. So to catch up…

A refresher about me…
Quit high school, but went to college anyway, Got my first and last actual hourly wage job for a year or so. Dabbled in real estate and started a couple of media business focused on food and wine. I switched to alcohol full time two years ago. I open my doors in May 2018.

About my area…
I’m located in a small seaside village of about 2,000 people with another 60K or so in the nearby communities. In the summer the average daily population exceeds 90K. It takes a 40 minute ferry ride to get here. The residents by and large are late stage professional workers operating In Vancouver and well off older folk. There is a strong contingent of returning thirty somethings coming along, but mostly what little youth generated here are gone by twenty. Used to be a hippy area, but the hippies have all left because the surrounding property is becoming very expensive.

About my location…
The distillery and my home is located on a five acre property. I’ve owned it for 20 + years. About 18 years ago my wife and I built our home and about five years ago we cleared an additional 2 acres. The rest of the land is forested with poorly managed second growth fir. I operate an apiary, have a chicken flock and ever so often, some pigs. I’ve recently obtained the right to slaughter and sell my pigs to the local butcher.

About the distillery building…
The building is 950sf. The front 12’ X 20’ area hosts the tasting room, small restroom and the kitchen/lab. The distillery operations area is 24’ X 24’. We probably operate the smallest commercial distillery in Canada. The building is built to commercial standards and feature beautiful fir rafters all set in a West coast contemporary style. The ceiling height in the front ranges from 9’ to 10 ‘ and in the production space from 14’ down to 11’ We get a LOT of compliments on the building. The commute to work in the morning is really tough!

About the equipment…
Rather than one big still, we have seven smaller ones. Each one has a different job. Primarily though, we use a 150 L pot still as a mash tun/stripping still. We have another 100 L and a 250 L setup which we use for making vodka. We have a small 45 L which we’ve tricked out to make gin. In the wings I have a continuous still capable of processing 1000 L a day of wash, but that unit probably won’t see action for the next year or so. We have a tube in shell heat exchange for cooling the mash and 8 – 250 L fermentation tanks. We process about 1000 L a week. Sometime a little more sometimes a little less.

About cooling…
All the stillage operating with the heat exchange and condensers needs a lot of cooling. To that end, I have a closed loop system filled with water and denatured ethanol. It runs continuously 24 hours a day. The water circulates through the equipment picking up the heat, then travels through the floor of the tasting room – then is directed to a large outdoor pond and speeds through 400’ of submerged water pipe. Even in the hot summer where the pond dried up by over half, it did a great job of keeping everything cool.

About getting permission…
In order to get this puppy off the ground, first we had to re-zone the property. Then we needed to obtain water rights from the provincial government. Then the distillery license from the aforementioned gov’t. Then finally, the federal tax department. To get through all of this we had to use every ounce of our professional skills, not to mention a great deal of patience. The whole process took two years. If we had opened in an already appropriately zoned area, we could have been open in a year.

About where the idea to do this came from…
Being in the food and wine media business, we already had extensive knowledge about the hospitality industry. We first came across the idea of a distillery way back in the late nineties while covering the emerging wine industry. Of course, back then the idea was just a dream as then there was simply no legal way to proceed.

About the flaw in the dream….
Did I mention the never ending cleaning? Distilling is the least of my work.

About making the product…
My days start at about 7 in the morning and will often stretch into the evening. 10 – 12 hour days are the norm. I start off cleaning and sanitizing all of the equipment, hoses, buckets, tools, etc. if I’m mashing. If I’m distilling, I’ll spend that time removing the grain from the mash. Either way, by the time I turn the stills on it’s time for a break! Once everything is stable, my attention turns to record keeping and/or proofing and bottling. There is also the social media to keep up on as well as the ever expanding work I put into branding, marketing and advertising. There is always something else to hurry up and get to.

About selling the products…
The first week I was open I generated $7 in revenue. So, I put out some sandwich boards, signed up some newspaper ads and showed up at the local farmer’s market. By the end of the month I was selling hundreds of bottles and I’ll sell more than a thousand more by Christmas. Next summer, I’ll sell thousands of bottles between April and September.

About the competition…
I have two local competitors and two more opening soon. By producing a better product for a reasonable price, I’m easily winning the backyard. I have a more diverse range of products and the coolest location. Plus, I’m out advertising them by a wide margin. Next we’re moving into radio, which will hit the airwaves shortly.

About sleeping soundly…
Somebody had mentioned that they wouldn’t invest in a distillery because they would have a hard time sleeping. I look at the increase in value of my real estate. I look at the value of a profitable distillery. I look at the bank account. Sure it’s hard work, but I sleep just fine.

In conclusion…
A risk? Absolutely. Hard work? Yep. Fun? Absolutely. I love the look on people’s faces when they taste my vodka, expecting some kind of crazy harsh moonshiner experience. It transforms into surprise and they always say: “Wow! That’s so smooth and, and it tastes great!” Yep, another one in the bag! “Now,” I say smiling, lifting the gin bottle seductively, “Would you like to try the gin?”
Renaissance Man
Licensed Craft Distiller
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Very good on y'all.
Legitimately winning your backyard with $7 weekly (profit?) .
Lots of folks would loose sleep over $7 a week..
For how long? Those 1000 bottle quotas will be tough.
Now better save all the money from your big orders to pay for expansion for the 1000ltr this and that.
Then maybe cooling expansion and diversion mods.
Maybe all the good feedback will lead to an award or two, that'll really help your stock and property value.
Folks will tell ya, "startn a distillerys the hardest thing they've ever done".
No rest for the weary. :crazy:
glenlyon
Novice

Post by glenlyon »

Yes that first week was a bit tight, but completely predictable for a start up.

By the second week of business though, we were clearing a grand a day and five months later we're we're a lot higher than that and trending in a most positive way. Our Christmas season is already heating up and we're only just beginning. Our gin sells out as fast as I can produce it.

Indeed, already, I have ordered two more stills. The first one arrives tomorrow 250 L. Next one comes late January - 360 L.

Pretty happy about the venture. People really like alcohol. Way more than even I thought, and I've been around the booze biz a long time!

Starting a distillery was/is hard. But, not the hardest business I worked with. It takes time to get all the approvals, financing etc., but the business itself is pretty predictable and becomes quite rote once you are in the thick of things. Our products are every well received and we have sent them home with customers to the States (lots to Washington and Oregon and some to Michigan), the rest of Canada, England and Scotland.

We get a constant stream of home distillers coming in to check things out. Some of them are seriously pursuing operations of their own and I'm informally consulting with three distilleries that will probably open within the next year. I appreciate very few people will ever try to start a distillery - it's not for everyone, but it's a pretty good business to be in. Very dynamic. I also enjoy the benefits of having my wife and daughter involved and that makes for a nice family shop.

I'm really loving the lifestyle and my social standing is fantastic! So, if you are so inclined, I would press on. It's true my distillery cost more than a more frugal individual may risk, but I was also taking a real estate gamble and I wanted to make sure I could sell if I had to. In the end though, I would do it again in a heartbeat.
Renaissance Man
Licensed Craft Distiller
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

You sound like a happy person, and I'm happy for you.
Further success to you.
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Your passion will carry you thru.
Here in the United States the two biggest reasons for failure are bad management and/or partnerships, and not scaled big enough to take large orders or room for a growth increase..
There's been actual members here who had to throw in the towel for those exact reasons..Cost just bout the same time and effort for big as small, with the growth curve included.
Wishn y'all the best, just understandn that society levels and sayn you own a distillery don't really matter to folks in the know, its whats in the bottle..Get some proper opinions.
Just sounds to small to compete and succeed without some bigger outlay.
Hopefully it'll grow from demand and you'll feel the wrath of quotas.
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Congratulations Sir,
You are living the life many of us dream of, although I'm sure you've had your share of nightmares!
Some unsolicited thoughts:
glenlyon wrote:
We get a constant stream of home distillers coming in to check things out. Some of them are seriously pursuing operations of their own and I'm informally consulting with three distilleries that will probably open within the next year.
I spent some time as a consultant and hated it, but that's another story. I'd suggest you charge a reasonable fee for your service.
It will weed out those who are not serious about the business and are wasting your time. Just as important it means those who pay for your advice place a value on it.

One other thing that may interest you. On "another forum" there was a discussion about a company that just started distilling NON alcoholic "drinks".
It has to do with this company - https://seedlipdrinks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I ALMOST dismissed the thread but glad I didn't.
To get to the point, with your hospitality experience and emphasis on gin, offering the industry a non-alcoholic equivalent to botanical based cocktails could be a huge plus for you.

Congratulations Again!
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Beins you're interested in helping folks understand your startup, maybe some pictures of your place, equipment, and maybe a bonded bottle for folks to see.
Noticed no pics, would be helpful to those following your progress.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Cool that you followed through and made it happen.

I'm not that far way from you as the crow fly's (just down in Seattle) but your place is really in the middle of no-where :) Might make it up your way the next time I go climbing at Squamish

Good luck
OVZ
glenlyon
Novice

Post by glenlyon »

Good evening,

It's been another long day in a series of long days that began last Friday. Since Monday we've been working flat out to get ready for a weekend arts festival we're participating in starting on Friday. We're expecting about five hundred guests. This will be the first time as a distillery but it will be the fourth time we've been in the festival as artists. Today I've been bottling and labeling the vodka and distilling the next batch of gin. Tomorrow I'll start bottling the last batch of gin which has been resting waiting it's turn. My wife spent the last few days painting the gallery and hanging paintings.

I do have some pictures and expecting Monday to be a crash day, I'll take the time then to post them with some descriptions.

Until then
Cheers...
Renaissance Man
Licensed Craft Distiller
Homebrew
Novice

Post by Homebrew »

Very interesting story.

In the UK, the smaller you are, the more attractive you are to an increasing number of consumers.

Did a search on YouTube of your distillery but nothing came up.

Have you done any videos of the distillery? Would love to see em.
glenlyon
Novice

Post by glenlyon »

Good Morning,

So, we did indeed have a really busy weekend and Saturday was our biggest day ever. Only seven more events until Christmas! It's a lot of work doing an event but, the community outreach and the sales are most certainly worth it.
MoonBreath wrote:Beins you're interested in helping folks understand your startup, maybe some pictures of your place, equipment, and maybe a bonded bottle for folks to see.
Noticed no pics, would be helpful to those following your progress.
I do have some photos but I don't really get how to post them. I'll continue fiddling about.
Oldvine Zin wrote:I'm not that far way from you as the crow fly's (just down in Seattle) but your place is really in the middle of no-where Might make it up your way the next time I go climbing at Squamish
I hope you do make the trip!
MoonBreath wrote:Just sounds to small to compete and succeed without some bigger outlay.
There are some adjustments, but everything is paid for and I can only expand so much more. That being said, I'm more than big enough to service my identified market. I'm not in the business to become a mega company, rather just to earn a good retirement living doing something, I'm actually quite good at. I've found the entire experience very rewarding.
MoonBreath wrote:Here in the United States the two biggest reasons for failure are bad management and/or partnerships, and not scaled big enough to take large orders or room for a growth increase.
I couldn't agree more. The two things you need to get off the ground in this business is the ability to go it alone and enough start up capital. No partners for me! I do though have a few close friends who like to give me advice occasionally!
TDick wrote:You are living the life many of us dream of, although I'm sure you've had your share of nightmares!
Part of our 'story' as it were, is the idea of illustrating the dream. Although, I certainly didn't dream abut all the cleaning! No nightmare though so far. Lots of paperwork, rules and logistics though to keep the mind occupied.
Homebrew wrote:Have you done any videos of the distillery? Would love to see em.
No we haven't. Eventually we'd like to but we are limited by labor and time!

I got my new still in on Friday. Now I have to un-crate it and put it together! Also, I'm distilling all week. Lot's of work.

Cheers,
Glen.
Renaissance Man
Licensed Craft Distiller
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Just don't understand, in your nano thread you stated that you had $650k invested and you were gonna run 1000ltrs of "paydirt" weekly...With multiple stills, the 45gal still you've posted about, or the larger boilers you're posting to own or buy?
So much different stuff in your post history, its really confusing to me.
No pics, ads, bottles, vids, permit number, or web. :problem:
You sound pretty proud of yourself, your social standing, and your distillery...Show it off.
Membership crafts like Woodshed, bluefish, and DeepSouth all have attractive websites with distillery and tourist info.
All crafts (nanos) are unique, but usually traceable.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

MoonBreath wrote:Just don't understand, in your nano thread you stated that you had $650k invested and you were gonna run 1000ltrs of "paydirt" weekly...With multiple stills, the 45gal still you've posted about, or the larger boilers you're posting to own or buy?
So much different stuff in your post history, its really confusing to me.
No pics, ads, bottles, vids, permit number, or web. :problem:
You sound pretty proud of yourself, your social standing, and your distillery...Show it off.
Membership crafts like Woodshed, bluefish, and DeepSouth all have attractive websites with distillery and tourist info.
All crafts (nanos) are unique, but usually traceable.
Why all the hate? Do a few google searches and you will find that this is a legit distillery here is one:
http://www.thelocalweekly.ca/new-distil ... rts-creek/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I applaud anyone who can start and make a business in the micro distillery world.

OVZ
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Did a search as I do a lot of boating in the San Juan's and Gulf Islands of Canada. Noticed there is a Pier in your area so I have several questions.
1. Is there public moorage at the Roberts Creek pier
2. Is it within walking distance to your distillery.
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

No hate at all..Thats the wrong word.
Skepticism the rite word..No harm in being skeptic, altho I'm an optimist to the max.
I'm sure its a craft distillery.
When explaining and sharing your journey with everyone, make sure its an understandable journey..And not misleading..
The 650k investment
and the claims made make folks wanta know and see the hows and whys..Ins and outs..
I'm just askn questions to open posts..I'm interested myself.
The steady stream of homedistillers and the hundreds of visitors, along with the large orders and profitable upswing is what folks trying to startup want to see and understand.
I think I was cornfused from all of the other ops posts.
Also shows the difference in folks perspectives..Total opposite from Eagle Cliffs posts and perspective.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

MoonBreath wrote:No hate at all..Thats the wrong word.
Sorry just the image in your avatar brings that out in me :)

OVZ
glenlyon
Novice

Post by glenlyon »

Hello,

Moonbreath is right, I should post more pictures. I would like to. It all boils down to finding the time to properly organize. I did try and post some the other day, only to be told they were too big! Aya! I will post some, just as soon as I can.

In the meantime, indeed, I am being faced with my first real 'nightmare' which is eating up a lot of valuable energy. I have a neighbor who has turned into a total asshole, completely objects to what we're doing and is harassing us at every turn. Everything from excessively loud music being played at us, cameras trained on our every move and threats, legal and otherwise.

I'm trying to play it as cool as possible but it's becoming very hard. Ideas anyone?

In the meantime, I had some very cool HD folks come in yesterday. Had a great chat with them. One guy was local and the other guy from Washington.

To that end...
Bushman wrote:1. Is there public moorage at the Roberts Creek pier
2. Is it within walking distance to your distillery.
Yes, there is an excellent marina and it's worth the stop if you haven't been here before. However, our place is not within walking distance. But, if you do make the effort, let me know - I would be more than happy to pop down and provide some transportation.
Renaissance Man
Licensed Craft Distiller