How did they do this?

Place for craft/micro distillers in all stages of build to show and share.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Opdog
Site Donor
Site Donor

How did they do this?

Post by Opdog »

There is a new local distillery that will be opening in Columbus next week. It is a brewpub concept with a distillery attached. It has always been my understanding that in Ohio this is a big no-no. Here is the link to a recent article: http://drinkupcolumbus.com/2018/05/31/h ... tillery-2/. I'd like to know how they got around the siting rules on that.

On a side note, I suspect that their still is undersized to run the kind of volume they will need to make a reasonable margin. The boiler is 300 gallons. It sounds like they are running neutral and vodka. Production will be limited to the amount the still can produce. It is hard to tell from the picture in the article, but it looks like the still is a 8" or 10". The other two batch distillers in the area operate much larger stills. Maybe, they are counting on the food revenue to make up the shortfall until they can build up aging stock and go to market?

It is a cool concept. I hope they make it.
I've stopped fighting my inner demons. We are on the same side now.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Re: How did they do this?

Post by SaltyStaves »

Heard recently about some state law where you can do this, so long as you strictly run the distillery on separate days to the brewery.
Not sure if its applicable in this case, but it may be how they've gotten around it.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

There was a setup like this in Cleveland for a while.
It was called Portside, I think, and they did beer and rum.
Guy told me they had to have a physical barrier between the brew shop and still and segregated accounting and ingredients.
Maybe it’s because he was doing rum and wasn’t using his brewing equipment for mashing.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
EagleCliffs
Novice

Post by EagleCliffs »

I don't know about Ohio, but in Washington the distillery has to be a separate business with a wall between. The booze is passed through a window in the wall into the on-premise licensee.
DSP-WA-15069