How do you do it?

Place for craft/micro distillers in all stages of build to show and share.

Moderator: Site Moderator

PoppaW
Bootlegger

How do you do it?

Post by PoppaW »

For the micro and nano. Here I am mashing and squeezing my grain with a seive and spoon. How do you do it on a bigger scale? Getting my 10 gallons in the fermentor was a bit of work. And I thought how big would your spoon be for a 300-600 liter batch. Haha. Do you just accept some loss? More than me percentage wise.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: How do you do it?

Post by Expat »

Paint strainer bag and a mop wringer. Makes short work of wet grains. Lots of threads around for the details.

55 gallon batches no problem.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by PoppaW »

I saw those and feel the need to get a new mop bucket. I thought maybe the micros has something more high tech or stainless. Haha
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

PoppaW wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:00 pm I saw those and feel the need to get a new mop bucket. I thought maybe the micros has something more high tech or stainless. Haha
If it's not barley, you could put the whole lot of it in a thumper and skip squeezing. Steam extract.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by The Baker »

Expat wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:03 pm
PoppaW wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:00 pm I saw those and feel the need to get a new mop bucket. I thought maybe the micros has something more high tech or stainless. Haha
If it's not barley, you could put the whole lot of it in a thumper and skip squeezing. Steam extract.
And if it is barley?
Does it clog up or something?

Geoff
The Baker
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Beer brewers worry about tannin extraction from the husk over 170f. I run bourbon grain bills, grind everything to a flour or fine meal, ferment on the grain and distill with grain in the thumper. Don't detect any tannin astringency in the product.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

For a small batch, 8 gals or so, a 10 gal cooler with a false bottom covered with a .9mm ss screen. When your done fermenting, attach a pump to the valve and transfer your clean wash to the boiler. Give it an an hours rest and hit the pump again for a few seconds. Never a problem. Leaves the grain bone dry and your charge clean. No squeezin’, no drippin’, no sticky hands.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
seabass
Rumrunner

Post by seabass »

The pro's ferment and distill on the grain if it's not a high percentage barley. Skip the squeeze step and just put everything in the still assuming it won't scorch.

For smaller batches, it's the mop bucket or putting slop in a thumper.