Whiskey flavor question

Any hardware used in the mashing /fermenting or aging of product

Moderator: Site Moderator

Whiskey flavor question

Postby Ferthy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:13 am

I have been distilling off and on for the last year. I have some ujsm on charred oak staves some has been aging for almost a year per the T-Pee method minus the cinnamon sticks.

I have noticed that it does have a nice vanilla oaky taste and aroma. However when I open a bottle of even cheap store bought whiskey I noticed that the aroma is much stronger. Not overpowering. But I open a bottle and you can smell it several feet away almost perfumey in a good way. Whereas my whiskey though it has a decent taste/aroma is sort of flat. I’m looking for ways to boost that vanilla oakey aroma which is there but again just flat. I have added some pure vanilla extract but that runs he risk of being to vanilla-y

Is this due to shorter aging time? Improper cuts? Shorter aging time? Maybe it is a result of not making all grain whiskey? Am I making sense? Does anyone have any or threads they can pint me to as I have not found any that seem to address this particular issue.
Ferthy
Novice

Re: Whiskey flavor question

Postby MichiganCornhusker » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:23 am

Ferthy wrote:Maybe it is a result of not making all grain whiskey? Am I making sense?

Yes.

UJ is a good drink, but it’s not whiskey.
You’re comparing apples and oranges.

However, you can control the flavors you get by managing different toasting temps and charring levels with your aging oak.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
MichiganCornhusker
Site Mod

Return to Mashing and Fermenting Flavoring/Aging Related Hardware