New (sorta) balcones barrels for sale

Any hardware used in the mashing /fermenting or aging of product

Moderator: Site Moderator

Re: New (sorta) balcones barrels for sale

Postby butterpants » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:51 pm

zapata wrote:Measure the volume for us when you swell it?
That sounds perverted zap. Gonna be a while tho... I'm taking summer off hoochin
butterpants
Swill Maker

Postby butterpants » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:15 am

HA, ok... much more descriptive
butterpants
Swill Maker

Postby Oldvine Zin » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:04 am

Received my barrels yesterday :) on close inspection they look well made( my only dislike is the very small bung opening and the small silicone bung that came with them) - minor issues that can be easily fixed.

They are a bit shorter but a bit fatter than a Gibbs barrel. The 5 gal Gibbs holds a little over 5 and a half gals, this one looks like it will hold just a bit less than 5 and I'm ok with that.

The true test will be what I pour out of them in a about a year.

OVZ
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Oldvine Zin » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:14 pm

Damn I tried to order a couple more but they are all gone :(

OVZ
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby CatCrap » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:15 pm

ohh no! Really! Damn that went fast. Looked like there were so many! I guess there's quite a few potential customers on the continent. At least we got in on it while we could, right? I'd have to say.. it sounds like that deal may never come around again. I'd infer that balcones is done using 5G barrels altogether? So whatever is out there is the last there will ever be? Hey we have a collectors item! Lol.. I use mine to "collect" whiskey and store it haha. Well.. i don't yet. Right now i'm just collecting dust. I don't have quite enough to fill it yet. About to fill my first barrel tonight, Oakbarrelsltd 5 G. So, that's exciting. Especially for me, and especially because it's AG booner's, and it took me an epic amount of work and time to gather enough spirit to fill it. And i'm only putting in 4.5G or so to start, then i've got one more batch to go to top it off.
But for this barrel, i've got one more UJSM spirit run to go, almost enough low wines for it. Then i'll be ready. So, i will let you know how much volume it holds when i get to that step. Mine, too, had a silicone bung and loose middle hoop.

So, what are we going to do with this information? If they're small, not the 5G they say they are.. is there any recourse? I doubt they'd give a refund.. not that i'd plan to ask. But, i guess it would be nice so everyone knows the actual volume of them.. and to let the vendor know we don't agree with their less than precise measurement.
CatCrap
Swill Maker

Postby CatCrap » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:17 pm

Oh, yea. ALso... how can i go about making a bung for it? Anyone got any tips? I guess ideally i'll have to source a piece of white oak for it. Although i don't think it really truly has to be properly weathered like the staves would be. But, once i've got some wood ( :ewink: ) how would i go about creating the bung? Only power saw i have is a jig saw. Although.. i did by a drill press a couple months ago and haven't brought it out of the box yet. Maybe a hole saw bit on the drill press, and drill out a bung? Rather than somehow attempt to jigsaw a circle. But, it needs to have a taper on it, right? I could try to sand it? Whittle it? IDFK..
CatCrap
Swill Maker

Postby CatCrap » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:19 pm

Oh, yea. ALso... how can i go about making a bung for it? Anyone got any tips? I guess ideally i'll have to source a piece of white oak for it. Although i don't think it really truly has to be properly weathered like the staves would be. But, once i've got some wood ( :ewink: ) how would i go about creating the bung? Only power saw i have is a jig saw. Although.. i did by a drill press a couple months ago and haven't brought it out of the box yet. Maybe a hole saw bit on the drill press, and drill out a bung? Rather than somehow attempt to jigsaw a circle. But, it needs to have a taper on it, right? I could try to sand it? Whittle it? IDFK..
CatCrap
Swill Maker

Postby zapata » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:17 am

I think I'll just stick with silicone. You could wrap it in teflon tape if ya want.

I imagine you could make a tapered one with a plug of oak chucked up in your drill press. Just hold a file/rasp on it at an angle.

It's possible they just bought a single pallet from balcones and there is more to come? Worth inquiring I guess. Also might be that if balcones is truly done with 5g for everything that they might disclose their Mexican source now. One of mine did have an "hecho en mexico" sticker on it...
zapata
Distiller

Postby Twisted Brick » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:35 am

CatCrap wrote:Oh, yea. ALso... how can i go about making a bung for it? Anyone got any tips?

Here's how Badmotivator did his. You could source a length of oak dowel, whittle it to slightly oversize, then finish sand it to shape in your drill press.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOxfYUVtFPY
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields
Twisted Brick
Swill Maker

Postby jonnys_spirit » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:26 am

You could use cork. Drill the hole to the size you want or measure it. These guys have corks on amazon. http://www.widgetco.com/large-cork-stoppers

Cheers,
-jb
jonnys_spirit
Swill Maker

Postby zapata » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:41 am

Looks like somebody asked, and they may be coming back if there are any left:
Q: Are these gone for good? I know Balcones had about 80 pallets of these back in January,but it sounded like they were done with 5 gallon barrels. Hoping this out of stock just means you need another pallet and not that they are gone forever. :(
Asked by: Zap - 6/4/2018
A: We have a pending purchase order in to see what can be provided, they will be relisted again for sale once we have stock on hand for processing
zapata
Distiller

Postby butterpants » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:26 pm

jonnys_spirit wrote:You could use cork. Drill the hole to the size you want or measure it. These guys have corks on amazon. http://www.widgetco.com/large-cork-stoppers

Cheers,
-jb
Yea I'm doing cork. It's a small hole.
butterpants
Swill Maker

Postby Oldvine Zin » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:12 pm

They are back in stock :)

And for an easy bung
cork1.JPG
cork2.JPG

Tapered champagne cork with the top sliced off is a perfect fit

OVZ
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby zapata » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:54 pm

And 10% off site wide!
:crazy:
Should make them <$100 delivered for most!
zapata
Distiller

Postby butterpants » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:06 pm

zapata wrote:And 10% off site wide!
:crazy:
Should make them <$100 delivered for most!
Pretty amazing deal... too bad I don't need. another
butterpants
Swill Maker

Postby Twisted Brick » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:53 pm

My barrel arrived :D Only one end of the box top was taped, leaving a big gap in the rest of the top. For grins I sniffed the open slit :ebiggrin: and could smell the wood of the barrel buried beneath the peanuts inside! It didn't smell sweet like a brand new barrel probably does, but it definitely smelled fresh, and a peek inside revealed a nice even char as far as my eye could scan. What little gaps there are between about half of the staves I anticipate will seal up just fine. It came with a red silicone (?) bung and a fair amount of rattling inside. After inverting the barrel a fair amount of charred bits fell out. I retrieved a perfectly tapered champagne cork (Thanks OVZ!) from my cork bag and bam!

Balcones Barrel copy.jpg

Tip of the hat to Zapata for the barrel lead and the 10%-off heads up. Delivery took 5 days from Austin to L.A. Great deal at $99 total.

Since this is my first barrel, I'm like a kid in a candy store. What to fill it with first? Ultimate goal is a scotch. I have 14l of cool-fermented wheated bourbon ready for cuts, but that'll probably net me only 50-60% of what I'm gonna need to fill it. I guess I'll just go read up on how to take care of the thing and decide.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields
Twisted Brick
Swill Maker

Postby zapata » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:44 pm

Also, headsup, the packing peanuts are biodegradable and will break down quickly in a compost pile, or even just a bucket of water. Be a shame if anybody put them in a trashcan. Hell, they're made of corn, had half a mind to try mashing them!
zapata
Distiller

Postby Oldvine Zin » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:51 pm

zapata wrote:Also, headsup, the packing peanuts are biodegradable and will break down quickly in a compost pile, or even just a bucket of water. Be a shame if anybody put them in a trashcan. Hell, they're made of corn, had half a mind to try mashing them!

Had that idea a while back thinking it would be a good use for them and a great marketing gimick. Found out that they are full of preservatives and prob would not ferment, never followed through to see.

OVZ
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Medstiller » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:46 am

So, I got mine last night. Other than the stand being broken and one of the bands being loose, it looks like it survived the UPS trip. I did notice a couple of things on my barrel. First the bung hole is not tapered, I am not sure how well this will work with the tapered silicone bung that was provided. Glacier tanks makes a tapered threaded triclamp adapter for barrels with a tapered bung hole. This won't work with mine, but I did find a 3/4 MNPT to 1.5" TC adapter, which I think will work perfectly. It is also a lot cheaper than the tapered adapter. I can use a end cap and a PTFE gasket to seal it and it will allow for easier access for sampling. Mine also has a made in Mexico sticker on it. I was wondering if everyone else has received barrels with straight bung holes and made in Mexico stickers too?
Thanks
Medstiller
Medstiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby zapata » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:53 am

Same here. Well, only 1 had the hecho en mexico sticker. I'm new to barrels but I THINK I'd trust the silicone bung. I mean I wont be aging it upside down, and even if I rotate it to keep it swole, I'll do it just enough so the bung stays dry, should still wet all the staves.

I do wonder if since Balcones is giving up the 5 gallons if they are sticking with full size reman Mexican barrels or are going to traditional American suppliers. Imagine that would change things as much as the barrel size will.

Would also be good to know who their supplier is, I've heard both good and bad things about some of the Mexican cooperages, would be useful to know which is proven to make this quality.

Speaking of quality, its sounding like I won the quality lottery. 1 of my stands the glue didnt hold on 1 side of 1 leg. Other than that they are perfect. Tight enough that I'd be happy with build quality if these were 2-3x the price for new American barrels.
zapata
Distiller

Postby Twisted Brick » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:49 pm

Mine came with:

1. straight bung hole
2. broken/unglued stand leg
3. no hecho en Mexico sticker

- W.C. Fields
Twisted Brick
Swill Maker

Postby CatCrap » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:22 pm

Let's all keep this thread updated huh? I anticipate filling mine very soon. So, I love all the input about the look, origin, quality or lack of, stand quality or lack of, bung details and helpful tips (thanks guys!) But the real question... is what kind of BOOZE does it make? am i right?

Interesting idea with the Tri clamp adapter. Gotta love those fuggin triclamps. They are a pretty genius design. So glad my still is all TC. Modular, easily cleanable, and never ever leaks vapor.
CatCrap
Swill Maker

Postby Oldvine Zin » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:31 am

CatCrap wrote: But the real question... is what kind of BOOZE does it make?

I'll tell you next year :)

OVZ
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Previous

Return to Mashing and Fermenting Flavoring/Aging Related Hardware