fermenter upgrades

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ezlle71
Site Donor
Site Donor

fermenter upgrades

Post by ezlle71 »

I decided to upgrade my fermenter
sorry i have given up on figuring out how or why my pics are always rotated
strainers1.jpeg
got these strainers from US Plastics, they snap/thread over the 3/4npt nipples i threaded in the bulkheads
strainersinbarrel.jpeg
here they are installed
fermenter.jpeg
here is the barrel with the valves
blowoff.jpeg
normally i open ferment but figured I'd add a blow off tube so i could be under airlock
Along with all this i got some EZ Strainers for 5 gal buckets from US plastics too. Figured if i am gonna dedicate myself to all grain i should have some tools to make the job easier
Don't let your meat loaf.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: fermenter upgrades

Post by Expat »

I like the square barrel look. Is it #2 plastic stamped?

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I'm interested in how well those work out for you. I am subscribed for the update.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Do you plan to ferment on the grain? I ferment off the grain, BRIAB style and noticed that if I don’t vorlauf properly the strainers I use to rack with get gummed up pretty damn quick. I’m also a straight up newbie so I contribute 99.9% of the difficulties I have to that fact. Very interested to see your results
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
ezlle71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ezlle71 »

Expat wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:54 pm I like the square barrel look. Is it #2 plastic stamped?
yea hdpe #2 I've fermented in them for years. 65 gallon. I ferment on the grain, my goal with the strainers is I will steep/soak the grain before i cook it in the barrel. The strainers are so i can draw the water that's sour off the uncooked grain and use it in the boiler to cook the grain with. I'm hoping it works good. Never know until i try.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

ezlle71 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:17 am
Expat wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:54 pm I like the square barrel look. Is it #2 plastic stamped?
yea hdpe #2 I've fermented in them for years. 65 gallon. I ferment on the grain, my goal with the strainers is I will steep/soak the grain before i cook it in the barrel. The strainers are so i can draw the water that's sour off the uncooked grain and use it in the boiler to cook the grain with. I'm hoping it works good. Never know until i try.
Wouldn't mind having a couple like that. LoL More capacity in roughly the same space.

What do you want to accomplish by soaking the grains, what is making the water sour? If you're grinding the grain before soaking I'd guess you're going to have a challenging time getting the water back out.

You're using steam to cook it in the barrel?

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd
Site Donor

Post by ezlle71 »

I found out the barrels were used for sausage casings, Smithfield has a plant here local. They are usually easy to find around here for 25-30$ a piece
Soak the grain like a sour corn starter. Let it go thru the 3 bacterial ferments and soften up for easier cooking and gelatinization.
I'm not looking to get all the water back outta the soured corn. I would rather it soak water up at this stage then during the mashing process
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=65703
using Shineoncrazydiamond's large batch mashing model and high temp alpha amylase enzyme. Planning on 40 gallon batches with 80 lbs of corn