Scored some large batch barrels!

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Scored some large batch barrels!

Post by jonnys_spirit »

62D4EF84-A117-4944-A0D6-70A3F75251D8.jpeg
Finally scored some large batch hdpe2 barrels yay! $25 ea from FB marketplace. These had jerk seasoning and pepper brine in them so i’ll be leaving them out in the sun to air out as much as possible. Might do a citric acid soak or something similar. I wonder how effective dilute h2so4 added to water would be for initial clean out? Give em a couple weeks in the sun and see how it goes.

Cheers,
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
ezlle71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Scored some large batch barrels!

Post by ezlle71 »

I think your on the right path with a acid soak of some kind. Sunlight will help a bunch. How do they smell? Is it very Strong? Hot dunder outta the still would be another good free product to use to get the smell out.
Don't let your meat loaf.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

The caribbean jerk barrel isn't too bad but the two hot pepper brine barrels are a bit worse... I've got some HS204 and 12% H2O2 that I might experiment with and dilute very carefully but giving them air and sun for a few weeks in the meantime...

----
Piranha solution, also known as piranha etch, is a mixture of sulfuric acid (H2SO4), water, and hydrogen peroxide (H2O2), used to clean organic residues off substrates.
https://www.google.com/search?q=h2so4+h ... e&ie=UTF-8
----

Anyway - I might set one up with a false bottom as a large batch lauter system connected to my boiler and use the other two as dedicated fermenters.

Cheers!
-j
————
————
IMALOSERSCUMBAG
Swill Maker

Post by IMALOSERSCUMBAG »

The barrels I use come from a local cheese factory that had jalapenos in them. So, I've been there. Previous suggestions are good steps. I just wash mine with Dawn dish soap and let them soak for a few hours. Doesn't remove the smell but I believe the oils get removed. Maybe not all but some. After a mash or two the smell does go away. I have never noticed anything in my liquor so I wouldn't worry too much. It's not like you're using barrels that had oil or other harmful stuff in them.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Four days outside in the rain/sun/air has worked wonders on these barrels mitigating the pepper mash brine smell which was pretty strong! Might not need anything other than some PBW and sanitizer before putting into better service than yard decorations lol...

Cheers,
j
————
————
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

I had good results with soaking an empty pepper & vinegar jar with StarSan. I washed it with Dawn first.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Not sure
Bootlegger

Post by Not sure »

I used dish soap and rinsed left sit for a few days then sanitized them
Stainless pot with copper shotgun I'm a simple kind of guy
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

C27EBE5F-B153-4554-9A3B-D385BC4D9E66.jpeg
Left outside for a while and they fill up with water! Rinse and repeat. Add sun.

Add a valve, false bottom, insulation, a boiler, a high temp pump, and some high temp tubing and one of these will eventually be a dedicated large batch recirculating mash-tun for all malt and step mash ferments!

Cheers,
Jonny
————
————
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

PBW works great for jobs like that
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

A couple weeks outside in the elements and the hot-pepper / pickle-brine mash that was in these previously is now gone and it was very strong. I'll use PBW and a toilet brush (dedicated use for this kinda thing lol) to clean em up and my usual starsan / KMETA / Citric acid blend to sanitize well before use... I really like that all my stilling equipment will fit inside these for easy storage in the cellar as well. Gonna need one of Demy's scoops too!

Cheers,
jonny
————
————
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

9893E21C-7551-4611-9F90-E780989A09C3.jpeg
Also picked up one of these a while ago in anticipation of large batch.

Cheers!
-j
————
————
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Nice paddle Jonny. Maple?
I also nest all my kit in a fermenter. It won't fit in my white 30 gallon drum, but it all fits in my 32G Brute less the controller.
20210313_162404.jpg
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Hey Deplorable! Not sure what kind of wood the paddle is but it's nice and long for scraping and mixing the bottom of the barrel so I had to get it when I saw it ;) I think I borrowed the storage idea from you that I saw in another thread so thanks for that!

Cheers,
jonny
————
————
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I think you'll find it pretty convenient to have all you stuff in one container. and able to move it all at once in one trip with a hand dolly.
I use a plastic feed scoop from Tractor Supply to scoop out of the fermenter into the mop wringer. It also comes in handy for scooping grain to weigh prior to milling.
This scoop is a little fancier than mine, but the same size and shape. Mine is red and lacks the graduated marks. Scoops about a half gallon at a time.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... _vc=-10005
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.