FastFerment Conical Fermenter Heat

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

GDGeorge
Novice

FastFerment Conical Fermenter Heat

Post by GDGeorge »

Hi Folks,

Up to now I've use aquarium heaters successfully in my buckets when needed. This past year I acquired a FFT conical fermenter on Freecycle. It worked well the times I've used it, but the house is chilly in the winter. I've got a couple 17.5W (120V, I'm in the US) heat mats and I'm thinking that one will maintain temp if I put a foam jacket over the fermenter. I've got an Inkbird controller if needs be.

Has anyone tried this with a conical? Has anyone had issues with putting insulation over the mat?

Thanks,
Jerry
T-500 boiler and column
Home-made insulation blanket
StillDragon tri-clamp adaptor (useful as hell.)
Copper Pot column
"Custom" Copper Alembic Dome (I cut up a copper mixing bowl. A work in process..)
Home built SCR voltage controller
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: FastFerment Conical Fermenter Heat

Post by Dancing4dan »

With a temperature probe, inkbird and a heat matt it should be fine. 17.5 W heat pad is pretty small so it will depend on the size of your fermenter.

Insulating will go a long way to hold heat in even without a heat Matt. Fermentation produces heat.
"What harms us is to persist in self deceit and ignorance"
Marcus Aurelius
I’m not an alcoholic! I’m a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings!
GDGeorge
Novice

Post by GDGeorge »

It's an eight gallon. This particular batch is a beer and I'm using a Kveik yeast, so I want the heat. I can double up heat mats, and may do so, just in case. Actually, looking at the project, I think the hardest part will be cutting the insulation to fit.
T-500 boiler and column
Copper Pot column
"Custom" Copper Alembic Dome (I cut up a copper mixing bowl. A work in process..)
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Wrap some old sleeping bags/blankets/whatever around it and hold everything in place with string or bungees. If a ferment gets too hot, you can loosen them off.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

NZChris wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:41 pm Wrap some old sleeping bags/blankets/whatever around it and hold everything in place with string or bungees. If a ferment gets too hot, you can loosen them off.
+1 keep it simple and easy to remove or put on as needed. Apply it in layers. Just as you would clothing.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

GDGeorge wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:00 pm
I've got a couple 17.5W (120V, I'm in the US) heat mats and I'm thinking that one will maintain temp if I put a foam jacket over the fermenter. I've got an Inkbird controller if needs be.
I'd put both heat pads around the bottom of the conical fermenter, insulation and the controller. :lol:
silverbean
Novice
Location: Downunder If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes.

Post by silverbean »

It might be easier with a conical to use an insulated chamber or box, an old fridge works well.
GDGeorge
Novice

Post by GDGeorge »

A fermenter closet / cupboard is not really an option right now, but is in the plans for the future.

Thanks,
Jerry
T-500 boiler and column
Copper Pot column
GDGeorge
Novice

Post by GDGeorge »

I took one of the heat mats and taped it to a 6 gallon bucket with a piece of insulation behind it. Hooked up the Inkbird and, while it took a bit to get up to temp, the mat has been holding the bucket in the low 80s with no problem. I think I'm brewing tomorrow, so I'll probably try the same thing with the conical. Thanks all who responded!

Jerry
T-500 boiler and column
Copper Pot column