New Oak Barrels and Blue Agave Plant

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

New Oak Barrels and Blue Agave Plant

Post by Guest »

FYI a friend forwarded to me a copy of his e-mail from this company. He has purchased new oak barrels with medium char from this company before at a great price and says they are of good quality and perform well. The e-advertisement he forwarded to me also listed Blue Agave Plants for sale at $39.95 each. http://www.1000oaksbarrel.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Hillbilly Rebel
Swill Maker

Post by Hillbilly Rebel »

That's was me posting above. When I posted I was not on my own computer and didn't have time to read all the posts nor did I want to lose them. :?
jbrew9999

Post by jbrew9999 »

There is another thread around here complaining about 1000 oaks. something about wax inside the barrels and/or used, painted wood.

Agave takes years to mature even in it's prefered climate but there are lots of places that sell them online.
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

they suck

Post by junkyard dawg »

yeah, forget 1000 oaks. Those barrels are just made out of whatever scrap wood they could find in Mexico. Totally inappropriate for beverage. You might as well just pour all your hard work onto the ground, thats were it will leak to if you use one of pieces of junk. I've only seen one, never put likr into one, so maybe I'm wrong. I think that they totally misrepresent their product. Hate that...
cellsitegod
Novice

Post by cellsitegod »

I ordered one from 1000 Oaks. I'm from the Napa Valley and I was really un-impressed. They look like something you'd buy from a Tijuana street vendor for the tourists. I let it sit in a TSP mix for 3 weeks then flushed it with citric acid. Then it took 3 weeks of pouring boiling hot water in it every couple of days to seal. I put some Brandy I stilled off from some wine I had left over. We'll see in a month or so. I don't have high hopes.

I just recieved a 15 gal toasted keg for my wine and a 2 gal charred for my whiskey from Gibbs brothers.
These guys really put out a quality product. I recommend to all of you thinking of using them.
A buddy of mine who works for cooperage here was really impressed also.