Aeration

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Miked73
Novice

Aeration

Post by Miked73 »

I have noticed that many suggest aerating their wash the old fashion way by stirring, shaking, and using aquariunm pumps. As a brewer, I alway use pure O2. The brew stores sell aeration stone set-up for about $35.00 and you can get pure O2 at your local hardware store in the plumbing section were you find propane and Mapp gas. It is in a red can for about $8.00. Just hook up the hose and stone and Bam you are in business with pure Oxygen.
Attachments
Oxygen Kit.jpg
Oxygen Kit.jpg (12.18 KiB) Viewed 1550 times
Oxygen.jpg
Oxygen.jpg (4.33 KiB) Viewed 1550 times
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Aeration

Post by Dnderhead »

in my opinion it is not worth the money,that tank will last about 20-30min.
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Braz »

Just for giggles I once made two identical washes and aerated one with oxy from my welding tank and the other with air from my compressor, as I normally do. Checked the SG daily and there was no difference at all in the rate of fermentation between the two batches.
Braz
Moorea
Novice

Post by Moorea »

Is there any advantage (or disadvantage) in using pure oxygen instead of air ?
Will it lead to a faster oxidation ? (or maybe undesirebly fast)

regards

Moorea, from Ilhabela - Brazil
Miked73
Novice

Post by Miked73 »

In my opinion, it is better to keep out any nasties during fermentation of beer as plain air is subject to what is already floating around your garage. I do not know if this would make a difference in distilling. I have a green refillable o2 tank that lasts a couple years on one fill. I only use about a 2 minute blast, but it is pure o2 that is easily taken back into solution. Especially with an aeration stone attached. It releases o2 in microscopic bubbles that are supposed to be much better than larger pockets of air that float right to the top of the fermentor.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

if you want to go that way git a fish tank air pump and a air stone.of coarse just do this before pitching yeast.
aerating makes the yeast multiply.this is a lot cheaper and with the same outcome.this does not make the
ferment faster other than having more yeast.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Regardless of whether you use pure O2, a simple air stone, or any other form of aeration, you will only get bonding at a given rate which means that the rest is all wasted as it exits the wash into the atmosphere... In a fairly clean working environment just about any form of aeration should be helpful without introducing any nasties... I would also imagine yeast to be just about as susceptible to oxygen toxicity as most other living organisms...
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

needless to say you can make it as complicated or as easy as you want.some accessories are nice and others are a pain.
so unless you are a "gadgeteer" or doing large batches most can be done away with.
Moorea
Novice

Post by Moorea »

In my old times with an IBM computer that looks like a very big refrigerator, i had a boss that used to say : "KISS", Keep It Simple Stupid !
If you have an easier way, why choose the harder ?
I bring it with me from now on as a living lesson and its amazing to see how it applies to everything, everyday.

My best regards

Moorea, from Ilhabela, Brazil
Last edited by Moorea on Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

I have just done aeration by beating the surface of the mash with a paddle.
Downwards so that it incorporates air, of course. Not just round and round.
Works fine.
The Baker
Miked73
Novice

Post by Miked73 »

Moorea wrote:In my old times with an IBM computer that looks like a very big refrigerator, i had a boss that used to say : "KISS", Keep It Simple Stupid !
If you have an easier way, way choose the harder ?
I bring it with me from now on as a living lesson and its amazing to see how it applies to everything, everyday.

My best regards

Moorea, from Ilhabela, Brazil
I guess the hard part is coughing up the $40.00. The simple part is turning a valve. :?