How to get garlic smell out of my new fermenters..

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jackyl
Novice

Re: How to get garlic smell out of my new fermenters..

Post by jackyl »

H i All well see scratches in the plastic harbors bacteria...well if your washing them out after every ferment as your supposed to is this really a problem...? oh since your a stickler its called bleach.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

jackyl wrote:H i All well see scratches in the plastic harbors bacteria...well if your washing them out after every ferment as your supposed to is this really a problem...? oh since your a stickler its called bleach.
So you have no problem scratching the inside surface of your fermenter :?: :?: And bleach is your answer to it all. Amasing 3 posts and a few weeks here and you are going to set me straight on good building practice. Thank, but no thanks the anwser was to the OP and I still think your idea sucks. Bleach who would have thought.

AC
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

Just to update anyone who was watching this thread.. I'm bailing out on these barrels. I put the black light bug zapper and a fan in one for a week and it still smell just as bad. I was about to order some 35% hydrogen peroxide on Amazon and realized the $39.95 it costs is as much as I paid for both the damn barrels. I'm just going to call the barrel guy back and see if he has some different ones like the round one he sold me. Maybe he'll give me some credit for these, maybe not. At least for that 40$ I know the problem will be solved.

Smell barrels real good before you buy gentlemen.
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6
Mario84
Novice

Post by Mario84 »

Seriously though, just make your vodka washes in those barrels. I'm pretty sure the end xxx product is only going to have the slightest hint of garlic to it, probably just enough to smooth out any rough headsy/tailsy/yeasty edges and give it a savory touch. Just a touch. I'm 99.9% sure this would be the case, and probably taste better than any regular sugar wash recipe.

Reason I'm saying this is I'm starting to experiment with my neutral washes. It seems adding various ingredients to my washes (fruits, vegetables, etc...) results in a much better neutral. You can barely detect what the original ingredients were... and I don't know if it's because the yeast is happier with the various nutrients, etc., and makes a happier product, or if it is because the end product becomes just complex enough to smooth out the usual rough edges...
It still tastes like vodka, just maybe more full-bodied, complete, rounded out, less yeasty... more satisfactory.

I found this old thread because I wanted to see if anybody had any previous experiences with garlic washes. I'm thinking of making a vodka with some healthy, but barely detectable attributes.

A couple of tips, for example: fennel, mint, squeezed lemon along with it's peels, cinnamon... now cinnamon, btw, comes on through great until the end xxx product. It just gives the product an underlying warmth which sort of rounds everything out. You don't need a lot, at all.
I barely throw away any heads anymore.

It's a shame you didnt even try one neutral wash with one of those barrels... just to see...