Using aluminum container as fermenter.

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

FarmerStinkythumbsArbukle

Using aluminum container as fermenter.

Post by FarmerStinkythumbsArbukle » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:54 am

Is it ok to ferment in an aluminum container? I know distilling using aluminum creates alkalies in the distillate and that is BAD. I think if they put beer in aluminum cans then it should be alright... perhapse their are different qualities of aluminum.

Professor Duck
Novice

Re: Using aluminum container as fermenter.

Post by Professor Duck » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:02 pm

FarmerStinkythumbsArbukle wrote:Is it ok to ferment in an aluminum container? I know distilling using aluminum creates alkalies in the distillate and that is BAD. I think if they put beer in aluminum cans then it should be alright... perhapse their are different qualities of aluminum.
It creates alkalies in the distillate?? Where did you hear this?
Image If Leonardo da Vinci had a video camera.

FarmerStinkyThumbs

Aluminum corrosion

Post by FarmerStinkyThumbs » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:34 pm

http://realbeer.com/jjpalmer/brewcorr.txt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Their is some stuff in this page that answers my question kind of... I am still finding the source that cautioned aluminum use in distilling. I will keep you posted. This is another link of the sort.

http://hbd.org/hbd/archive/517.html#517-6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

It was something I learned when I first started and always went by. I recall it sounding reasonable, because the corrosion caused by the alcohol being distilled had to make some type of alkalyn reaction. I know that copper is good because it attractes the sulphur in the alcohol leaving the green cupric sulfate that has to be filtered out of the spirit. I'll figure it out. I don't mean to alarm you at any rate.