Multi use apple press/grinder

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Re: Multi use apple press/grinder

Post by Bushman »

cranky wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:53 pm
Bushman wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:09 pm Just got home from four days at the San Juan Island farm. Spend two half days processing apples into cider and put up. 73 gallons. This brings my yearly total to 137 gallons. The rest of the time was spent visiting and doing odd jobs that needed done.
That's a great apple season Bushman :thumbup: I might need to start saving up for one of those grinders.
It’s already paid for itself. Not sure if I posted it earlier but I bought the grinder with my two adult children and my brother in law and it has become a family project. The person that brought that large crate of apples asked me the other day if I am ready for another crate.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Bushman wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:21 am The person that brought that large crate of apples asked me the other day if I am ready for another crate.
Those are my very favorite kind of apples...free apples someone else picked and delivered :D
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Hot damn Bushman. Thats some gallonage. Im just pushing 100g now. And did up another 40? or so for Windy last weekend battling the yellowjackets together out in the Indian Summer hot fall days.

I just bought a 20Ton air assist hydraulic jack and a steel 20 Ton press frame. These apples dont stand a chance now! Been going at them with a measly 8Tonner for the above. :lol:
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Bushman, I see you have a hand jack manual 20T jack. If youre like me, you're plenty tired of jacking that thing off 20,000 times in a weekend. Look what I found (and bought). Cheapest Ive seen the 20 tonners. (assuming you have a compressor handy).

https://www.vevor.com/products/air-hydr ... 33d1&_ss=r
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Definitely going to check it out! With the new grinder this is now the slowest part of the process.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Bushman, where are you seeing comments about this 20T hyd jack being underpowered? Im not seeing that in the feedback. Its got 5 star avg review. At any rate, it has to be better than the 8T Im using.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Jimbo wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:53 am Bushman, where are you seeing comments about this 20T hyd jack being underpowered? Im not seeing that in the feedback. Its got 5 star avg review. At any rate, it has to be better than the 8T Im using.
I sent it to my brother in law who is a retired mechanical engineer and that was his response back to me. I will check with him as he is really good at researching products. He is my go to person.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Jimbo just talked to him and he said on the review it sounded like it took a bigger compressor as one person said it took a lot of air flow and was slow. He did not say it was under powered.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Ok thanks. I havent run it yet, wont have a chance until tomorrow. Still gotta be better than jackin that damn thing by hand a zillion times. I hope. Maybe have to do that last few pumps by hand, I can live with that.
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

Hey Jimbo
That new press sounds awesome I hope it runs great for you tomorrow.
I never did a fruit must before and I really appreciated your help.
Jimbo helped me press 550 pounds of apples and 130 pounds of Asian pears. We ended up with approximately 36 gallons of apple cider and 6 gallons of pear cider. :clap:
Jim had some ec1118 to pitch in my carboys and demijohns.
Can’t wait to put these on tap
I am definitely hooked on this, we have all these fruit trees in our yard and every year my wife makes pies and cans but we also give so much away because it’s normally too much. Well those days are over :lol:
Thanks Jimbo and Mrs Jimbo for a great day and evening.
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Windy City wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:21 am Hey Jimbo
That new press sounds awesome I hope it runs great for you tomorrow.
I never did a fruit must before and I really appreciated your help.
Jimbo helped me press 550 pounds of apples and 130 pounds of Asian pears. We ended up with approximately 36 gallons of apple cider and 6 gallons of pear cider. :clap:
Jim had some ec1118 to pitch in my carboys and demijohns.
Can’t wait to put these on tap
I am definitely hooked on this, we have all these fruit trees in our yard and every year my wife makes pies and cans but we also give so much away because it’s normally too much. Well those days are over :lol:
Thanks Jimbo and Mrs Jimbo for a great day and evening.
Always nice have friends like that. Jimbo I will look forward to your update.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Bushman,

Here's an update on the press I posted in my apple thread.
Jimbo wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:34 pm Hi Corene! Long time! "If I knew a welder" HAHA! You funny. Hope you are well. Good to hear from ya!

I bought a 20 Ton air driven hydraulic jack. It works great. Bushman, to the earlier chats on power, no issue. Thing is a beast. The jacking motion slows down a little as my compressor tank depletes, but it still goes twice a second at the end, faster than I can do by hand. I think my compressor is 5.7 CFM at 90 PSI. No issue. It presses the hell out of the apples. I did another 350 pounds. Im somewhere around 2400 lbs so far this year now. Stilled off 75 gallons so far and have at least one more round to go, with more set aside for ciders. The 1118 took it bone dry to 0.998, 6.8% ABV.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Jimbo wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:59 pm Hi Bushman,

Here's an update on the press I posted in my apple thread.
Jimbo wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:34 pm Hi Corene! Long time! "If I knew a welder" HAHA! You funny. Hope you are well. Good to hear from ya!

I bought a 20 Ton air driven hydraulic jack. It works great. Bushman, to the earlier chats on power, no issue. Thing is a beast. The jacking motion slows down a little as my compressor tank depletes, but it still goes twice a second at the end, faster than I can do by hand. I think my compressor is 5.7 CFM at 90 PSI. No issue. It presses the hell out of the apples. I did another 350 pounds. Im somewhere around 2400 lbs so far this year now. Stilled off 75 gallons so far and have at least one more round to go, with more set aside for ciders. The 1118 took it bone dry to 0.998, 6.8% ABV.
Sounds great I probably will purchase one. Was it easy to replace with the hydraulic jack that came with the twenty ton press? The reason I ask is that we have two presses one on the island and one at home so thought I would prefer to buy one and interchange between presses.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

The 20Ton press I bought from an auto shop for 100 bucks without a jack. Yes its easy to put the 20T jack on there, seemed to be made for it, fit perfectly. I made a slight adjustment to the jack plate so when the jack is fully retracted it puts very slight pressure on the jack and holds everything in place perfectly. The springs on the jack plate, and springs on the jack itself do a great job of auto retracting the jack cylinder in a few seconds.
20211009_113506.jpg
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Almost 30 gallons in 2.5 hours.
F8BCC58F-F444-4DF4-9876-BA1B78928CE0.jpeg
0355AA7B-10FF-4B27-9977-034F5F1CA60C.jpeg
CB4830F4-1AD6-4800-BDE6-EBF84ACDE7A8.jpeg
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Yesterday was our family cider making 2-1/2 to 3 hours setup through cleanup. Here is a video of our process.

The slowest part was pressing. We collected the crushed apples in 5 gallon paint bags then pressed with the bags in the baskets.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Bushman wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:09 am Yesterday was our family cider making 2-1/2 to 3 hours setup through cleanup. Here is a video of our process.

The slowest part was pressing. We collected the crushed apples in 5 gallon paint bags then pressed with the bags in the baskets.
Wow. I'm super jealous. I'm definitely getting a setup like that 1.
It obviously makes quick work for juicing.
Nice job🍻
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.