Multi use apple press/grinder

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Re: Multi use apple press/grinder

Post by Bushman »

Soft batch wrote:Bushman: I have a stainless garbage disposal scratcher. I've ground apples for at least 15 minutes (a full 5 gal bucket) straight without any overheating problems. I did have to quarter the large apples as they tended to bounce around if they were round. I also use a push stick to keep cramming them in.
Good to hear, I have no direct experience just reviews I have read on the internet when researching. I believe a lot of it has to do with the grade of disposal you purchase or have as I have seen the price range really fluctuate and you can spend a considerable amount for a good disposal.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Soggy, I have a stainless disposal mounted in a small sibk and built into a stand. I built it after getting tired of slicing apples and pears up dmall and stuffing them in a champion juicer (for years). The disposal never worked well. PITA it was. You can have it if you live around me. Ive since built tge scratter and press in my sig and it works beautifully.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Soggy Bottom Boy
Rumrunner
Location: Somewhere to the north of the.. ..Peoples Яepublik of Kalifoяnia

Post by Soggy Bottom Boy »

Freight from Iceland would kill it! :wink:

I'll PM you.
"Well, ......I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!" ...Ulysses Everett McGill

"Good thing you found HD. It's like the mythbusters of distilling." ...Prairiepiss
kurgan
Swill Maker

Post by kurgan »

Bushman, I just bought everything to duplicate your setup. Any tips on how the green chute comes off the chipper? Did you ever mod yours to chew whole apples?
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

kurgan wrote:Bushman, I just bought everything to duplicate your setup. Any tips on how the green chute comes off the chipper? Did you ever mod yours to chew whole apples?
The green chute takes a little work, to get to the screws that are set back in you need to remove the whole top section then remove the chute then reassemble to top. I have not yet modified my top as it is out on the island and haven't been out there in a while. I think it can be rebuilt to take whole apples as the chipper is easily strong enough to handle it. I still quarter the large apples and half the small.

Make sure you buy the paint strainer bags to go over the bucket. I am not sure I mentioned it but I also used clamps with plywood to clamp to the base to hold the plastic drain tray so it would not get damaged.
kurgan
Swill Maker

Post by kurgan »

Bushman wrote:
kurgan wrote:Bushman, I just bought everything to duplicate your setup. Any tips on how the green chute comes off the chipper? Did you ever mod yours to chew whole apples?
The green chute takes a little work, to get to the screws that are set back in you need to remove the whole top section then remove the chute then reassemble to top. I have not yet modified my top as it is out on the island and haven't been out there in a while. I think it can be rebuilt to take whole apples as the chipper is easily strong enough to handle it. I still quarter the large apples and half the small.

Make sure you buy the paint strainer bags to go over the bucket. I am not sure I mentioned it but I also used clamps with plywood to clamp to the base to hold the plastic drain tray so it would not get damaged.
Glad to know I was on the right track. I had started removing the top section, but wanted to get confirmation before tearing into it too far. After looking it over, I think that metal piece above the blades would need a new custom piece with a deeper "curve" then cut/mold the plastic to match the curve. I say that because it looks like the metal piece adds some structural integrity and aides in keeping everything from falling straight out the outlet. I guess if you could cut part of the old chute away and mold a piece in its place with some rigid enough plastic or some thin stainless that went all the way down to within millimeters of the bottom blade, that might work.

i keep plenty of those paint strainers around, them things are too dern handy not to have in this hobby ;-)
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Great I won't get back to any modifications till next spring so keep good records and take pictures to share! :thumbup:

PS: Add your modifications to this thread to make it easier for others that want to follow our design.
kurgan
Swill Maker

Re: Apples!

Post by kurgan »

I've been studying my Chicago electric chipper/grinder and comparing it to the "Selections Electric Apple Scratter" here, and i'm thinking a 4" piece of pvc modded to replace the chute might work. With 20 bushels of apples to process, i'm scared to start hacking on it till after this job is done.
Selections Electric Apple Scratter
Selections Electric Apple Scratter
kurgan
Swill Maker

Re: Apples!

Post by kurgan »

I'm sad to report that the turkey fryer baskets from amazon do not hold up to me and the 20 ton press. I'm trying to get through this to the end, taking longer than expected. If I ever do this again, I think a wood slat basket would hold up better.
Oops
Oops
Best I could do on short notice to fix it.
Iron mask
Iron mask
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Should be no pressure on the turkey fryer basket, is your circle that you cut to press evenly slightly smaller than the basket? I bought my fryer at a garage sale but am thinking it is the same one.
Tokoroa_Shiner
Distiller

Post by Tokoroa_Shiner »

Bushman wrote:Should be no pressure on the turkey fryer basket, is your circle that you cut to press evenly slightly smaller than the basket? I bought my fryer at a garage sale but am thinking it is the same one.

Wouldn't the apple press outwards once the pressing starts?
Must read topics for new members

The Rules By Which We Live By
Safety And Related Issues
New Distillers Reading Lounge

Have Fun, Keep Safe and Shine On
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Is that fryer basket the aluminum one or stainless? It looks like aluminum in the picture. Now I'm thinking maybe I won't buy one and will just make one out of that oak I've been thinking about using to make a cutting board for the new kitchen instead.
kurgan
Swill Maker

Post by kurgan »

Bushman wrote:Should be no pressure on the turkey fryer basket, is your circle that you cut to press evenly slightly smaller than the basket? I bought my fryer at a garage sale but am thinking it is the same one.
The circle is smaller, and will drop in and out of the basket with ease when empty. When you get down the bottom, and pressing real hard, the "cheese" tries to push outward and cracked the aluminum.
kurgan
Swill Maker

Post by kurgan »

cranky wrote:Is that fryer basket the aluminum one or stainless? It looks like aluminum in the picture. Now I'm thinking maybe I won't buy one and will just make one out of that oak I've been thinking about using to make a cutting board for the new kitchen instead.
I'd use the oak, just my .02
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

kurgan wrote: I'd use the oak, just my .02
I keep going back and forth on that. On one hand the wife could really use a new cutting board and on the other a better apple press would sure be nice but I have about 8 more months to next apple season to decide between the fryer basket and the oak and can probably come up with more oak if I keep an eye out.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

kurgan wrote:
The circle is smaller, and will drop in and out of the basket with ease when empty. When you get down the bottom, and pressing real hard, the "cheese" tries to push outward and cracked the aluminum.
Hmm, my basket is Stainless Steel. I stop pressing when the cheese cloth begins poking through the holes.
kurgan
Swill Maker

Post by kurgan »

cranky I'd use the oak if it were me. I found somebody on ebay selling baskets for $49.95 with oak slats and stainless bands, that's doable if somebody was in a real pinch. I just hope this all holds together for 6 more bushels :(
kurgan
Swill Maker

Post by kurgan »

Bushman wrote:
kurgan wrote:
Hmm, my basket is Stainless Steel. I stop pressing when the cheese cloth begins poking through the holes.
Stainless sounds like the key here. The aluminum is pretty thin, i'll try to measure it, but it obviously isn't thick enough.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I've seen on searches people have made them out of plastic 5 gallon buckets, holes drilled through and it was supported with multiple large zip ties for support.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Bushman wrote:I've seen on searches people have made them out of plastic 5 gallon buckets, holes drilled through and it was supported with multiple large zip ties for support.
I've seen that too and had been looking at the ones on amazon. I work with aluminum a lot and didn't think spun aluminum would work and was going to go with the stainless one but I have access to titanium and possibly some stainless sheet metal so In the interest of my budget constraints and the new $100 Home Depot card I just got I might go see how much enough new oak strips will cost and the wife can have the antique oak for the cutting board.
kurgan
Swill Maker

Post by kurgan »

Just read back through Jimbo's apple stuff, and see at some point he switched to a 5 gallon stainless pot with holes drilled in it. Just another option.
thumper123
Swill Maker

Post by thumper123 »

My new $7.00 apple grinder. I had some junk lumber and an old motor laying around, but I had to buy a belt. Works great.

http://s1322.photobucket.com/user/thump ... 6303228413" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Outstanding thumper :clap: :thumbup: Any pictures of the business end? How did you do the scratter wheel? I dont think youll need the ramrod, in mine the apples get chewed up and spit through by gravity just fine. Do you have a blocker plate on the upside above the scratter wheel? without that youll have apple bits flying upwards making a hell of a mess (dont ask me how I know).
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
thumper123
Swill Maker

Post by thumper123 »

I got pictures. I just learned how to post them - God help you all.

I made a drum by glueing up some junk oak, turning it on my 1954 Shopsmith, and then screwing 1" drywall screws into the drum at a leading angle so that the heads of the screws will bite into the apple. The masher is limited in travel to just miss the action. My biggest problem was slowing things down a bit, hence the big plywood pulley. I cut the V groove in that on the Shopsmith as well. Before I made this I was grinding my apples in a food processor - a slow operation as anyone who has tried it knows.

I can't take credit for the concept, however. I saw a picture on the net of one along with plans galore. I just winged it, and amazingly after a little experimentation it worked.

http://s1322.photobucket.com/user/thump ... d.jpg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

nice work, youre gonna want to put a blocker plate above the wheel, on the side where the wheel spins upwards. trust me.

Here's pics of mine showing this plate Im talking about. I did the same thing with screws, only I used stainless steel screws. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 0#p7018787
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Post your pictures directly by uploading to this site... I don't need that damned Photobucket malware bullshit on my computers...!!! It's been covered and you should have read it during your research... But, because you didn't, HERE is a link to the subforum that you should have read... There are several topics related to images, but read everything there...

I spend far too much of my day job time cleaning up computers infected with that shit...!!! It's not how I like to make my money and I sure as hell don't want to have to clean my own computers because that costs me money due to downtime... Yes, externally hosted images irks the hell out of me...!!! :problem:
thumper123
Swill Maker

Post by thumper123 »

Wow, Rad, that was some rant!

I get my information from Forum Rules, Notifications and Helpful Hints, Posting Pics by Tater, and guess what? It actually works unlike all the other BS I've read. My suggestion to you is that if opening Photobucket is too scary for you - don't.
thumper123
Swill Maker

Post by thumper123 »

Jimbo, I will put that deflector plate on the grinder - in the form of a pulley guard as well. The more I look at that spinning wheel the more scared I get! Thanks for the tip.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Looks nice, how deep is the hopper? Full apples really bounce when first added so a cover to knock them back down is a good idea. I like Jimbo's suggestion.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

thumper123 wrote:Wow, Rad, that was some rant!

I get my information from Forum Rules, Notifications and Helpful Hints, Posting Pics by Tater, and guess what? It actually works unlike all the other BS I've read. My suggestion to you is that if opening Photobucket is too scary for you - don't.
It's not just about me, it's about the HD membership as a whole... All of those external image hosting sites are infected with malware that tries its hardest to infect every visitor to those sites... I do this crap for a living, whether it's what I want to do or not... Working on four computers as I type this... Your attitude towards the safety of the membership is somewhat lacking... And it's folks like you that put me in the mood I get in... If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem...!!! Stop being lazy and defensive and upload directly...