Oak Barrels, Where to buy?

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

varocketry
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Oak Barrels, Where to buy?

Post by varocketry »

JUst got off the phone with Jay GIBBS, they have 5 gallon and 10 gallon stock to move.

5 Gallon $155
10 Gall $195

Brand new. Char 3+ , Jay said they don't char the heads.

He also said they have 5 & 10 kegs available.
-Just need something else to build. -
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

any idea how much shipping would be on them ?
varocketry
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by varocketry »

I'll tell you real soon.
-Just need something else to build. -
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

good choice :thumbup: :thumbup:

OVZ
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Glad to see this interest in the Gibbs Cooperage products, the simply do a superb job providing barrels to small volume distillers.

Here is another thought for folks interested, but concerned about the high cost of using wooden barrels.

At my home, before going commercial, I bought several Fuji Cans (google Fuji cans for background) These rugged, light weight Stainless Steel containers come in various sizes, small as like, 3L, 5L all the way up in various sizes to 100L. We used them as catch cans in the distillery for spirit runs and beer runs. After we closed the distillery, we had about 40L of white that we didn't have a new oak barrel for, so I put it into a 50L Fuji can, and dropped in what I calculated would be enough charred oak sticks to make it work like a glass bottle with oak sticks in it. That was last July. The can now contains some excellent whiskey. I mean great color, excellent mouth feel, outstanding taste character. I wasn't happy with the eye test, as it appears the the Angle do suck away any heads that may have made it through the cuts process in wooden barrels, and because the SS Fuji is air tight, there was no loss the the Angles. I dealt with that by putting the can on a electric hot plate, and heating it to 160F, and holding that temp for about an hour. Then recapped the can and set it outside. This morning, with the temp back to 60F, the whiskey passed the eye test just fine.

Several other great things about the Fuji; they come with a SS tap built in, and can be reused for ever with no loss in quality. Oh, and one more thing, they have great built in handles, making them easy to handle and store, and since there is no angle share, there is no smell of evaporating alcohol either. Great for apartment dwellers, and home owners that keep their product in home.

You can get a lot more storage per dollar using Fuji's than Oak barrels too. A 20L Fuji can cost less than $140 delivered to your door.

Happy Thanks giving folks.
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

where do you get fuji cans ? a search didn't come up with anything. Thanks
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

dieselduo wrote:where do you get fuji cans ? a search didn't come up with anything. Thanks
https://jet.com/product/detail/d385a494 ... lsrc=aw.ds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

http://www.kegsmanufacturing.com/oil_fo ... cturer.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

http://www.swat.net.au/products/wine-be ... s-storage/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I'm sure there are other places, check with Olive Oil Container sources, and product suppliers.

B
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

dieselduo wrote:where do you get fuji cans ? a search didn't come up with anything. Thanks
we bought several from these people, very nice people too...

http://wholesale.oliveoilsource.com/bro ... ssories/71" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Sweet.....thanks Boom.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
cuginosgrizzo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cuginosgrizzo »

Those are Fusti, non Fuji. :mrgreen:

I used a 50L one to make the boiler for my pot still
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

cuginosgrizzo wrote:Those are Fusti, non Fuji. :mrgreen:

I used a 50L one to make the boiler for my pot still
Right, Fusti, not Fuji, my dyslexia biting my a_s again. Sorry. I used a 25L as a pot still for years.
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

great ! thanx Boom
JoeyZR1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by JoeyZR1 »

Homebrew.com has the Balcones 5 gallon Barrels for $99 today on sale. Also save more if buy more than one.
Last edited by acfixer69 on Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unwanted advertisment
JoeyZR1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by JoeyZR1 »

Sorry it's homebrewing.com
Last edited by acfixer69 on Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
stony183
Novice

Post by stony183 »

BoomTown wrote:Buy what you want, but a 5 L barrel is a waste if you ask me. That size is so small the evaporation rate exceeds the aging process. My recommendation is a 3 gallon or 5 gallon barrel, with the 5 gallon being the better option. You'll end up with better booze, and more of it.

Gibbs Brothers cooperage in AR makes a great barrel for this purpose.
I have to agree I have 5 2L barrels and while they age product very fast you end up losing alot to evaporation!
Last edited by acfixer69 on Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
cuginosgrizzo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cuginosgrizzo »

stony183 wrote: I have to agree I have 5 2L barrels and while they age product very fast you end up losing alot to evaporation!
but they look AWESOME! :thumbup:

also, love you sign on the wall! :thumbup:
squeezins
Swill Maker

Post by squeezins »

WINE BARRELS $100
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/for/5914429072.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I found these on Craigslist
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

European members can contact me if they are after 30 liter MT+ barrels. Our cooperage is making a new batch of them that should be ready by end of January.

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Odin wrote:European members can contact me if they are after 30 liter MT+ barrels. Our cooperage is making a new batch of them that should be ready by end of January.

Regards, Odin.
Darnit Odin...after seeing that pic of all your barrels I was hoping you would open them up to the folks here in 'murica!
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Would love to help out. We'd just need someone able to import and distribute them amongst HD-members. A pallet would be the minimum size. Think about around 60 barrels, ranging in size from 10 to 30 liters. That's what it would take.

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
stony183
Novice

Post by stony183 »

cuginosgrizzo wrote:
stony183 wrote: I have to agree I have 5 2L barrels and while they age product very fast you end up losing alot to evaporation!

Thanks Man, yeah a guy cut this on a CNC machine for me. I love the sign because it's really looking good as it starts to tarnish!
Last edited by acfixer69 on Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Folks,

Been doing some research for my next Oak Barrel. Thought Id share for everyones benefit.

Black Swan Barrels in MN - 10g barrel $229 + $35 for shipping.
The Barrel Mill in MN - 10g barrel, $165 + $30 for shipping
Gibbs in AR - 10g barrel, $195 + ? shipping

BarrelsOnline, 1000Oaks - stay away. Crap quality and/or blingy consumer nonsense. Could probably put Black Swan in this category. Theyre all about the honeycombed sticks, and honeycombed staves in barrels for a premium. My opinion is this exposes tons of end grain which should be avoided, unless you want loads of that tyloses goo in teh pores in your drink, see pic. Anyway, Black swan price above is for traditional barrel, not honeycombed staves. Way high. She also quoted 50-60 for shipping until I challenged her on it.
grain.JPG
Jimbo
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Aussiedownunder01
Bootlegger

Post by Aussiedownunder01 »

BoomTown wrote:
Deerhunter wrote:would a 10l barrel be a better option? I think a 20L would be to big for me. Don't think I would be able to fill it. for me to end up with 5 gallons on a spirit run is pretty big.
You don't plan to sell anything, so the legal rules don't apply. Homebound craftsmen have been incrementally filling wooden barrels for centuries. The booze get along just fine, in fact improves over time as you mix in different runs with earlier aged spirit. Just take your time, filling it as you can. Keep a different barrel for each recipe you make though. You can start to enjoy your drink as soon as it begins to taste like you want it to. Simply draw off enough to make a couple of jugs, replace what you take out with new stuff, then after you drink what you've drawn off, repeat the cycle. As long as you are making as much as you drink, and you let a couple of months pass between the draws, the whiskey will simply get better and better. You'll never miss the angels share either.

Keep in mind, it's a hoppy, not a competition. Just make what you like, often enough to keep filling your barrels. Odds are pretty good, your days of distilling will diminish as your whiskey gets better.

I recommend hobbyists go with a 10 (37.8L) gallon barrel, otherwise use glass with oak staves. Barrel ages is better over time. Smaller barrels loose too much volume to the angels too fast (they're actually just big sponges drying out). 10 gallon full wooden barrels weigh in at about 100 lbs full, which is a handful for a grown man, but once you get it full, and let it sit for 6 or 8 months, it's like having your very own high quality liquor store in you closest, or garage. Store it where the air can't flow around it too much, and it'll be just fine.

b
Great post that's what I do 8)
Deerhunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deerhunter »

Never had a problem with 1000oaks. But then again I haven't dealt with them in person. My Brewing supply store carries there barrels so I see what I'm buying up front. I think there quality is damn good. Have a 5 and 10 gal from them.
Sky Diving without a parachute is a once in a life time experience!
stony183
Novice

Post by stony183 »

cuginosgrizzo wrote:

Haha thanks man!
Last edited by acfixer69 on Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

I just happen to be looking at a bunch of 1000 oaks barrels right now.
They look great in the larger sizes but the smaller ones don't look as bulletproof as my Gibbs.

Just going by looks though, I've never used one.
Maybe they'll give me one to test drive...
image.jpeg
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
cbbr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cbbr »

This appears to be the latest thread on barrels. so... I am looking for a barrel - 3 gals would be perfect. So 2 questions - 1) is Gibbs still the best place and 2) what char & toasting level is "best" to end up with a high vanilla bourbon? My initial thought is no toasting & #3 char.
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

I advise against a 3 gal barrel, too much Angles Share. Minimum of 5 gal, recommend a 10.

Gibs is a great source, but there are many now days.

Boom
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

To maximize vanilla, you want your barrel proofed a little lower (55-60%)
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Jimbo wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:46 am

BarrelsOnline, 1000Oaks - stay away. Crap quality and/or blingy consumer nonsense.

grain.JPG

Jimbo
Ordered a 2L laser engraved, non-varnished barrel from BarrelsOnline just a week ago (before reading this thread). $35 for barrel, $15 shipping which didn't seem horrible from the other places I'd perused.

I'll post back on what I find when it arrives... Hopefully they've improved since Jimbo's 2017 review!!!
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season