Oak Barrels, Where to buy?

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

rubberduck71
Novice

Re: Oak Barrels, Where to buy?

Post by rubberduck71 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:29 am

rubberduck71 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 6:51 pm
Jimbo wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:46 am

BarrelsOnline, 1000Oaks - stay away. Crap quality and/or blingy consumer nonsense.

grain.JPG

Jimbo
Ordered a 2L laser engraved, non-varnished barrel from BarrelsOnline just a week ago (before reading this thread). $35 for barrel, $15 shipping which didn't seem horrible from the other places I'd perused.

I'll post back on what I find when it arrives... Hopefully they've improved since Jimbo's 2017 review!!!
Realizing I'm still a novice at this, but I was quite happy with a Kashi cereal experiment that I aged in this barrel for 5 weeks. Nice subtle smoke & sweet notes with good mouthfeel. The real test will come tonight when I have some buddies coming over for a fantasy football draft to get their take on it.

I emptied the barrel, proofed it down to ~45% & bottled it. Refilled it with my Gen 2 Odin's Rye Bread since I liked how the Kashi came out.

The barrel itself is holding up well. No leaks after water-conditioning. The logo turned out great, but my only gripe is that the lettering font size could have been larger. I'll wager that if you contact them directly or give more specific instructions on the ordering page to rectify that issue.

Duck
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season