Light Bulb Mash Heater.

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

milesdf
Novice

Light Bulb Mash Heater.

Post by milesdf »

Hello,
I want to keep my mash warm in my cold house/basement. I ferment in 3 gallon water jugs.

I've decided to build a small "cooler" out of foil covered styrofoam sheet that can hold 2 jugs. Between the jugs I will have my light bulb heater.

My Heater will be simply a 1' length of tin stovepipe, spray painted black on the inside, capped on both ends with a simple lamp fixture and light bulb mounted on one of the caps, putting the lightbulb on the inside. I'm going to test it with a 40 watt bulb at first, if I need more heat I'll increase the wattage. I encase the bulb because yeast don't like light correct?

Does anyone see this causing a fire? I Don't think I'll have issues unless I use too large a bulb.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I have built ow wattage heaters several times in a similar manner... I've used this method for a seed germination table, for keeping bulk honey from crystalizing, and for a quick-n-dirty crankcase heater, to mention a few... You just need to be careful... I've had better luck with this method than using heating mats to be honest...
glassman
Swill Maker

Post by glassman »

i used a rubber construction fixture and it melted. swiched to porseline and no problems. gman
arkansas
Bootlegger

Post by arkansas »

I use a "regular", if there is such a thing, heat lamp on a line voltage tempstat. in an old up right freezer. Only problems I have had is the yeast welcome me opening the door with sun glasses. :D
The day you quit learning something new is the day you die. And, if you don't die, then you might as well.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

arkansas wrote:I use a "regular", if there is such a thing, heat lamp on a line voltage tempstat. in an old up right freezer. Only problems I have had is the yeast welcome me opening the door with sun glasses. :D
About to buy my heat element and was looking at ceramic infra red bulbs at the wholesaler yesterday. They're over $50 though :shock:

What do ya mean by a regular heat lamp? Like the things in bathroom fixtures?
arkansas
Bootlegger

Post by arkansas »

Yepp, about $1.50 at Wally world.
The day you quit learning something new is the day you die. And, if you don't die, then you might as well.
absinthe
Rumrunner

Post by absinthe »

if you know anybody who fixes photocopy machines they have a great wire heater in them that will run at a nice temp at 12V

thats what my old heat belt used to be made off.. (i haven't used it in about 2 years now i know the good temps to ferment at in Oz we don't get that cold :p )
Whiskey, the most popular of the cold cures that don't work (Leonard Rossiter)
milesdf
Novice

Post by milesdf »

Hm does anyone forsee any issues with me using plastic bottles with this kind of system? Should I get glass carboys?
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

No problems at all... Plastic doesn't melt easily when it has liquid in it, especially at the low temperature that your heater will produce... As long as there is free air space between the heat source and the containers you shouldn't have anything to worry about...