Survey - Gin - Macerated vs Vapor Infushed

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Survey - Gin - Macerated vs Vapor Infushed

Post by Boda Getta »

Which do you Gin Heads think is best and why. Do any do a combo of the two.

BG
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Survey - Gin - Macerated vs Vapor Infushed

Post by still_stirrin »

I prefer Odin's method: juniper & corriander in the boiler (not really macerated) and the citrus in the vapor path. Defined and delicate. Great balance.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

It was Odin's "Odin's Easy Gin" thread that prompted this survey. In that thread, Odin macerated everything, including the tangerine peel for a fairly long period, strained, then one slow run the still. Do you have the link for other method per your post?
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

I love boiler infusion because it creates more taste intensity. I think the herbs to liquid contact has something to do with it. And maybe the Maillard Reaction, because I use directly heated stills. I think the easy recipe was maceration based because, well, that's easier for many.

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

Odin:

Thank you for your input; I believe most here would agree you are the authority on distilling gin on this forum. One question: You referred to boiler infusion; is that method simply placing the botanical's in the boiler with the wash and running. I have done only one gin run but was pleased with it. I did what I refer too as vapor infusion where I wrapped my botanicals (the recipe stolen from one of your posts) in cheese cloth in the 2" column and did a slow re-distill of a diluted neutral. Carried over a nice taste and aroma. I am thinking about doing another run and just exploring other options.

BG
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Congrats on your success! And yes, that's what I mean: try putting everything in the boiler for a change. You will get a heavier profile. If you think it's too bald, dilute with neutral of the same strength.

Thanks for the kudo's on gin expertise. Not sure I deserve them. Just stepping on the shoulders of the giants before us. And always wanting to know more and challenge answers like "because that's how we do things traditionally". If I am an expert at anything it's probably just at asking the "why" question a bit too often. ;)

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

I think both are good. But I did Odin's last run and darn it was good.

B
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

I did several runs. With botanicals after a maceration in the boiler, with botanicals in a ginbasket in the vapour, with some botanicals in the boiler and other in the ginbasket.
But not only with different positions of the botanicals, but also with different combinations of botanicals.
So comparison of the runs is not possible. Not for an advice.

Just try and find your own recipe and method.
The Booze Pipe
Swill Maker

Post by The Booze Pipe »

I seem to remember reading a post on gin making methods and recipes where several people chimed in a few months back. Does anyone know where that might be? I have not been able to find it... if it exist; it is questionable with my memory!
I just had a stainless gin head made up that I can add or remover from the column. So I'll be experimenting soon with it and the boiler maceration method.
13.5g/50L keg boiler
copper pot still
modular 3" CCVM copper&stainless w/offset gin head
Spit_the_Dog
Novice

Post by Spit_the_Dog »

The Booze Pipe wrote:I seem to remember reading a post on gin making methods and recipes where several people chimed in a few months back. Does anyone know where that might be? I have not been able to find it... if it exist; it is questionable with my memory!
I just had a stainless gin head made up that I can add or remover from the column. So I'll be experimenting soon with it and the boiler maceration method.

Not sure if it's this one, as it's more than a few months old!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 11&t=12224

Spit.