Coolship (koelschip) ideas?

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Coolship (koelschip) ideas?

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

I currently open ferment in a 10 gallon SS pot without a lid. I would like to use a coolship for future ferments to keep the temp more stable. Something in the 10-20 gallon range would be ideal. There doesn't seem to be any available at normal beer supply places. Looking for a subtitute I've found a couple things that are close but don't quite fit the bill.

This is as close as I could find: https://www.webstaurantstore.com/tablec ... 19149.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Anyone else use a coolship? Any idea for a better one than the one above? I've priced out doing one myself but it seems that with material it would be a wash or cost even more.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Re: Coolship (koelschip) ideas?

Post by kiwi Bruce »

I don't use open fermenters ( all 7 gal glass carboys) but I know what you mean, this pic is a homemade coolship...would this help you?
Homemade from a keg.jpg
Homemade from a keg.jpg (56.81 KiB) Viewed 1760 times
Getting hung up all day on smiles
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Thanks Bruce. I thought about that too. A 1/2 keg would be ~7-8 gallons, the thing I posted is a little over 10.

And you should try open fermenting!
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

When I first started beer brewing I only use open fermentation...maybe time to look at it again.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Found my coolship:
https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Comme ... B000Z505SW" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Lid: https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Comme ... B00063L0VO" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

It's able to handle greater than 165 degrees so I could theoretically mash in it, but I doubt that I will. I would prefer stainless steel but I can't find an acceptable size for less than a ton of money. The plan is to get another storage container that is larger and waterbath it with an aquarium heater and water pump to maintain the temps I want. It will not be airtight but I don't need/want it to be.
butterpants
Swill Maker

Post by butterpants »

A coolship is used in Belgian Lambic style spontaneous fermentations.... it's how they innoculate their wort. The surface area to volume and temperature gradients over time are very important to proper microbiological flora establishment. Most homemade coolships have far too much surface area exposed to the air, although at first glance they seem ok. This leads to quick cooling and improper "primary bacterial succession" (my term not the industry) and negative effects on flavor development years downstream. They also only brew and innoculate during a small window during the fall and winter months. The cool nighttime air has less of a microbiological load on it and a preferential one too.

But you guys probably already knew that.

Are you looking for an aide to wild yeast and bacteria inoculations or just faster cooling?
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Mostly Bacterial inoculation and some Wild Yeasts additions. I will be pitching commercial yeast once it's cool enough. The other part of this is that ester creation is reduced with an increase of static pressure from the water column. It's why I wanted a pan versus a carboy. I intend to water bath the coolship to maintain a specific temp.
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

After thinking about this and the reasons I stated I kinda think I just wanted to and used those reasons to justify it. I think I just failed at logic. But at least I'm doing my part to support the economy. YAY consumerism? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
butterpants
Swill Maker

Post by butterpants »

I've bought plenty of shit I didn't need but just wanted. I'm old enough now, I can talk myself into it within minutes.

Have you looked at Wyeast Roselare blend or White Labs Lambic blend? Real interesting mix of bugs in good ratios. Don't need to worry about flying the koolship around.