Boisé Method

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Chixter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Boisé Method

Post by Chixter »

Have any of you veterans tried flavoring your whiskies using the Boisé method? If you have, how did it compare to a normal aging such as in a barrel or with oak strips/chips? This has my curiosity piqued but if it has been tried and found not desirable, I won't go through the trouble of even experimenting.
When I was a boy, I prayed for a bicycle. I soon learned G~d doesn't work like this so I stole a bike and prayed for forgiveness.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Re: Boisé Method

Post by shadylane »

What, pray tell is the "Boisé method" :eh:
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

Living in Idaho....I'd have to guess it has something to do with potatoes........LOL
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I'm guessing it's making oak essence for flavoring, in which case, I kinda have.

What do you mean, Chixter?
Chixter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chixter »

It is a method used by the French for some of their Brandies and Cognacs that some hobby distillers have adopted for whiskey making. I read about it on the parent site in the flavoring and aging subsection. Some further research revealed this method was quite popular with bootleggers during Prohibition who wanted to get their product to market quickly. Basically bringing your charred oak pieces to a boil in water, then simmering for about a half hour. Strain out the wood and continue to simmer to reduce and concentrate. Add the liquid to your white whiskey and give it a few days and it is "oaked". I can see some useful application for this at least part of a spirit run may be able to be enjoyed sooner rather than later. I haven't found any specifics such as quantities and ratios, etc. So I figured I'd ask if anyone has done this.
When I was a boy, I prayed for a bicycle. I soon learned G~d doesn't work like this so I stole a bike and prayed for forgiveness.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Boiling wood in water is not the same as aging a spirit in oak. And aging in wood does more than adjust the flavor, it also provides oxidation. Go ahead a try the wood essence and see what you get. Convince yourself if there is a benefit to it.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

NZChris wrote:I'm guessing it's making oak essence for flavoring, in which case, I kinda have.

What do you mean, Chixter?
Give that man a Ceegar ! 8)